Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Unprotected sex by accident, what should I do? 

Post Unprotected sex by accident, what should I do?
Hi guys,

An unfortunate event happened 2 days ago. During sexual intercourse with a new partner the condom broke and I was only able to notice it a few minutes later, in fact, only when I ejaculated - only the rubber band of the condom was around my penis and I know it didn't break during ejaculation because I ejaculated outside. The fact that it was dark and I was a bit drunk didn't help because I didn't feel the difference but I'm quite certain that the intercourse went on unprotected for around 5 minutes. After realising what happened I got very distressed and really frustrated. Having to cope already with this whole prostatitis ordeal and then this. It really got me feeling down.

Hopefully she is clean, at least she said she was, but anyway I want to get tested as soon as possible. Although I still don't have any symptoms, I'm afraid that any sort of reinfection might aggravate my prostatitis by managing its way into the prostate. Anyway I presume that for this to happen I would first have a urethritis which if untreated for a while could then reach up to the prostate, right? My question is, how soon enough can I get tested for chlamyidia, gonorrhea or any other bacteria? I'm thinking of checking through bloodwork and culture, since chlamydia tends to be good at not being detected in bacterial culture. I know that for virus disease's like HIV I will have to wait a few weeks, but what about for these bacteria strains?
I'm thinking of doing the following: testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, mycoplasma, ureaplasma and other pathogenic bacteria through swab culture and bloodwork ( for chlamydia and gonorrhea) in about 2 days (4 days after the contact). Then retesting around 1 month month from now but by then also for HIV, HCV, etc. What do you think?

Update on how my prostatitis situation so far:
[i]Last week I did another spermculture and it came back negative again. I have another one to do as a screening test which I will have it done this week. I still have some urinary symptoms that seem to get worse according to how my intestines are working. 2 weeks ago I was on probiotics, my intestines and bowel were working fine and my urinary symptoms were pretty much okay. Right now I'm not on probiotics and I have noticed my intestines have been much more irregular and I have been having smaller bowel movements with less solid stool.I have also been feeling ocasionally the diffuse lower back pain which tends to be related with my intestines not working properly. Therefore, I think I might have to continue probiotics for at least a few months before my intestines get back to normal. [/i]

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Post Re: Unprotected sex by accident, what should I do?
Which probiotics are you using? (Sorry if I asked this before)

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:52 am

I'm gonna start a new one today which I honestly can't recall the brand name. It has 6 billion units per capsule and 5 different bacteria strains. The other one I was taking had 8 strains and 3 billion units per sachet I know it's not as good or nothing close to VSL 3 but I can't manage to find that here in regular pharmacies in Portugal, maybe I will order it online, especially if I happen to have to take another antibiotic course. Next time I really want to have my guts well protected and poppulated because until now I think antibiotics have caused more harm than good to me.

Anyway, a question for you guys who apparently have nonbacterial prostatitis or never managed to find any conclusive bacterial proof from exams - Have you ever done a nucleic acid amplification test of EPS, post-prostatic massage urine or semen? As most of you know, detecting chlamydia through semen or EPS culture or even direct fluorescence assay is almost impossible. Even if the chlamydia is there it won't show up due to a variety of factors, ending up giving back a false negative result. On the other hand, although this NAA Test is expensive it seems to be quite effective to detect chlamydia even in specimens like EPS or semen. So I was wondering how many of you have done it? Since my latest spermcultures have been quite inconclusive I'm really considering giving this test a try and at least, if it comes back negative, I can discard chlamydia as being the infectious agent that is causing my prostatitis.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Are you talking about a PCR test? Inflamed mentioned those. You can use the search function to find his posts.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Hey Daident, sorry to hear about what happened man. If you could have a pcr, or polymerase chain reaction test done on your PES sample, it would probably give you a better result as to whether or not there's an infection still. I would start taking cranberry and dmannose immediately after the unprotected encounter. Might even do a couple days of cipro or something else to make sure it doesn't work it's way into the prostate if you feel like you've gotten a uti from a new partner. Other than that, congrats on the new conquest man, you have serious game. :D

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Exactly. Thank you, I read the posts about it. I didn't know it is also possible to look for gram+ and gram- bacteria through the PCR exam. I will have it done, at least to be sure about chlamydia, gonorrhea, mycoplasma and ureaplasma. In the meanwhile, tomorrow I'll have normal swab, urine and blood testing to make sure I didn't get any other bacteria from the unprotected intercourse. And 1-2 months from now HIV, HCV testing.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:14 pm

I already bought some cranberry pills but I didn't start taking them because tomorrow I'll do the testing so I don't want anything to bias the results. Also I still haven't had any urethritis symptoms. I'll start with the cranberry tomorrow right after I collect the samples and I might also ask my doctor for some azythromycin or cipro for a few days just to be sure I'll kill anything that might be there asap (although honestly I think it's a low chance).

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:32 pm

If you didn't have the urethritis component within 8 hours of intercourse, you're probably ok. Better safe than sorry though.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:45 pm

How is it going Daident, any better?

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]