Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Viridans Streptococcus and Coagulase negative Staphylococcus 

Post Viridans Streptococcus and Coagulase negative Staphylococcus
My EPS was found to have Viridans Streptococcus and Coagulase negative Staphylococcus. I was told that these bacteria "are common to the urinary tract" and it is normal to have the bacteria.

I did some research and found out Viridans Streptococcus can cause dental cavities, gingivitis, endocarditis, septicemia, and infections in heart valves. But, apparently it does not cause any harm in the urinary tract or prostate.

Coagulase negative staphylococcus also is thought to be a "harmless and common" bacteria. Then I look up this bacteria can cause central nervous system shunt infections, native or prosthetic valve endocarditis, urinary tract infections, and endophthalmitis. I further find this bacteria can cause blood, heart, brain, bone and eye infections.

The dr. I was seeing will not treat me to clear these bacteria since he thinks they are harmless bacteria.

I had remembered I picked up some clindamycin many years ago in Mexico. I decided to try the clindamycin even though they were expired by about 3 months just recently. I felt dramatically better. My constant soreness from my eyes went away completely. I noticed some days I made improvements in regards to my prostate and other days I didn't. I suspected that the antibiotics were not as strong since they were expired and I took them 3 times a day instead of the recommended 4 times a day. I have finished the antibiotics and still have mild symptoms.

What steps should I take? I have had my pelvic floor muscles checked to see if this may also be the cause of all this mess and was found to have good pelvic floor muscles.

Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:16 am

Post Re: Viridans Streptococcus and Coagulase negative Staphyloco
I've done some research on why I was told the bacteria that was cultured from my EPS was common was because of a study from four Brazilian students back in 2000. It was presented in Dallas, Tx. The title is, "Microbiological Aerobic Studies on Normal Male Urethra."

It consisted of 30 uncircumcised men from 18-40 without any urinary inflammation or infections take swabs in 3 different areas within the urethra. Each area was scrubbed for 30 seconds. The men were asked to not have sex 7 days before the test and not urinate within 6 hours of the taking of samples. The samples were soaked into a sterile solution of 3 mL.

Their median counts for the most colonized area of the urethra was:
Streptococcus viridans = 28,560
Enterococcus species = 24,350
Corynebacterium species = 14,325
Staphylococcus coagulate-negative = 9,428

There is a more recent article published in 2008 from an Oxford Journal in a publication titled "Human Reproduction Update" that states a different thing on the bacteria mentioned above. It states, "Up to 50% of men will experience prostatitis at some point in their lives, with prostatitis becoming chronic in 10% of men (Schaeffer, 2003). Bacteria responsible for prostate infection may originate from the urinary tract or can be sexually transmitted (Fraczek and Kurpisz, 2007; Fraczek et al., 2008). Typical non-sexually- transmitted pathogens include Streptococci (S. viridans and S. pyogens), coagulase-negative Staphylococci (S. epidermidis, S. haemolyticus), gram-negative bacteria (E. coli, Proteus mirabilis) and atypical mycoplasma strains (Ureaplasma urealy- ticum, Mycoplasma hominis). All of these pathogens will create an acute inflammatory response with an influx of leukocytes into the genital tract and a resulting increase in ROS production (Mazzilli et al., 1994; Depuydt et al., 1996; Ochsendorf, 1999; Potts et al., 2000a, b)." Here is the website: http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... 3.full.pdf

And another study found that states, "the presence of various species of oral streptococci ( Streptococcus Gordon's, an unidintified oral bacterium AP60-15, and Streptococcus salivaris in patients 2, 3, and 5, respectively) may corroborate an earlier suggestion concerning the involvement of oral sex in the pathogens is of nonchlamydial, nongonococcal urethritis." (http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... PMC154717/)

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:39 pm

Just a quick update:

I have taken a closer look at the study from Brazil and I must say that it does not completely pertain to the prostate. In my instance, almost no involvement at all. This is because when my EPS was collected, I emptied my bladder 10 minutes before. The urine flushed out all urethral microbiota and the urine culture revealed no growth. Also, I used the antibacterial wipes and cleaned my foreskin before giving my urine sample.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:20 am

Did you ever have a resolution of your symptoms? I just received results of my semen culture, and while the gram stain shows no organisms, it does show results for Viridans streptococcus. Penicillin G or V with or without Gentamicin is the drug of choice for this group. Please note, I have not discussed these results yet with my doctor, but plan to.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:51 pm

dontgiveup wrote:
Did you ever have a resolution of your symptoms? I just received results of my semen culture, and while the gram stain shows no organisms, it does show results for Viridans streptococcus. Penicillin G or V with or without Gentamicin is the drug of choice for this group. Please note, I have not discussed these results yet with my doctor, but plan to.

i just sent a semen sample away to see if I have strep. i found out through a dermatogologist that I have strep b in the perianal area. while my internist said it was nothing , i thought that maybe i have it in the uretrha area. i was given pennicillin VK and will let you know in a few days if it helps my other symptoms. this is the first antibiotic i'm trying in 6 months.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:11 pm

robert,

can you provide a bit more detail? did your dermatologist find an infection on the skin from your perineal area? how was this tested/determined by your doctor? I haven't seen many other folks here posting in regard to that type of diagnosis.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 pm

dontgiveup wrote:
robert,

can you provide a bit more detail? did your dermatologist find an infection on the skin from your perineal area? how was this tested/determined by your doctor? I haven't seen many other folks here posting in regard to that type of diagnosis.

It was the perianal area not perineal. I have burning in urethra and anal area. I mentioned it the dermatologist and he took a swab of that area. It was making me think that if I have strep b outside the anus, maybe it's inside and what's causing my prostatitis.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:34 pm

No resolution yet. I've made improvements with Keflex for the first week. Then I was diagnosed with enterococcus faecalis from an expressed prostatic secretion culture.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:40 pm

bet,

What type of symptoms did you/do you have? Did you try any other treatment besides antibiotics and the pelvic floor check? Has anything else helped you?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 pm

The local urologists gave up on me and sent me to Mayo in Rochester. The Mayo doctor wants me on alpha-blockers and to live with it. He is also checking if the enterococcus faecalis is gone. It surprised me when he told me that e. faecalis is aerobic bacteria and Mayo does not check for anaerobic bacteria. I've been waiting for 3 weeks already and Mayo hasn't called me about the results. They sent me the bill, though.

I've seen the famous doctor for prostatitis in the Cleveland Clinic for help. He checked my pelvic floor muscles and said they are very good. This doctor was of no help to me. His lab, by the way, detected the viridans and strep. The doctor said those are common bacteria and should not bother me. He compared the colon and the urethra to not having any negative effects from any bacteria.

I am trying to get an appointment with a clinic in Arizona that specializes in this. I have left a message on their voicemail and sent an e-mail.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 am

The symptoms I have are:
Noticeable burning during urination.
Low libido.

Since 2 "doctors" forced me on finasteride and valtrex, I have gotten worse libido. I'm fatigued most of the time. It is, however, getting very slowly.

I've tried sitz baths and they help a little.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am

I meant that I am slowly getting better. Sitz baths help a little. I was on ampicillin for the enterococcus faecalis which helped a lot for the first 10 days. I found out I should have been on the IV med, not the oral ampicillin.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 pm

bet36972-

Any updates on your tests? I noticed you logged in 10/13.

Richard1969

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:11 pm

It's crazy to me that you brought the test results up. People familiar with the name "Mayo Clinic" would never think what I'm about to write would come from them. It came back saying I have "common bacteria" found in my sample. No kidding. That's what the test results from the great Mayo Clinic said.

I read somewhere in a forum (it might be this one) that somebody had tried PCR. I had for the longest time been wanting to have this test done to get to the bottom of why I'm feeling this way. I called the research facility in Bedford, Massachusetts if they were still accepting samples and doing PCR testing. They said that they still are testing so I sent for my prostatitis test kit.They started testing my sample on October 18 and should have the results 2-3 weeks from then. The research facility will mail the results to me.

I have also set up an appointment to see a urologist that is part of the research facility at the end of November to go over my PCR results.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:03 am

Some uro believe there should be zero bacteria in Eps. I think the broth culture is a good idea at virginia lab they do a sensivity test for antibio. Bedford does not do sensivity test :(

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:36 pm

The reason why I went with the PCR test is the capability it has to identify bacteria not normally found through culture methods. My idea is to identify the bacteria first, then perform a sensitivity test on the bacteria found.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:51 pm

I like your plan keep us posted hopefully it will work for you.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:00 am

Bet 36972, did you get your bedford result?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 pm

What is the virginia lab that does a sensivity test for antibiotics? Are there other labs?

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:24 am

Shaky,

I did get my results. It's not what I thought it was going to be. They stated that there was an "undetectable" amount of bacteria. They consider <20,000 microorganisms/mL an undetectable amount and it is set to pick up a particular set of bacteria. The doctor wants me to try a vasodilator and an anti-inflammatory. Go figure.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:49 pm

I definitely think I have a staph infection though the culture found trace amounts. ALso positive for chrysemonas luteola which is pretty dangerous, don't know how I got this? and then the awful urologist only gave me 14 days of cipro and stopped the antibiotics

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:29 am

I really dont understand why doctors are so dismissive of these bacteria. everybody I know who has prostatitis issues has some sort of isolate of a variation of staph or strep/enterococcous.

Its unreal. I'm glad you have some answers though man.

You're definately spot on about the clindamycin. It's helped alot of people.

Just please becareful if you ever try it again. Doctors never inform people about how much damage antibiotics can do to the digestive system. So I woudl take lots of probiotics and even saccromyces bouliardi (aka Florastor in pharmacys) , its a supplement that prevents you from getting antibiotic induced-colitis. Which is VERY common with Clindamycin specifically.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 pm

I was positive for staphylococcus in trace amounts and I still had incredible pain in the beginning, maybe it's my high sugar/soda diet but the urologist wouldn't treat with more antibiotics. If your urologist doesn't listen to you then find another one asap.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 am

Interesting Article: http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... D/8/2/6466

Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]