Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Acute Bacterial Prostatitis? 

Post Acute Bacterial Prostatitis?
I'm in the process of dealing with some kind of infection (I think). The story is that I got an infection from an intermittent self-catheterization a little over a month ago. I'm 33 years old with no serious anatomical urinary problems I know of...

Flash back to a year or so ago, I initially started using catheters because I have shy bladder syndrome (a psychological problem), as a backup for if my bladder locks up in public. I found myself using them at home as well when I experienced some unexplained physical urinary retention, towards the end of last year. I was sure it was UTI or something, went to see doctors and found nothing, also went to urologist who did digit exam of prostate and didn't think it was prostate related. We almost had some further exams done but then it cleared up and I didn't follow through. I was able to link it to the use of NSAID medications (ibuprofen, aleve) which I had been taking a lot of for my back pain, during that time. Other than that, I had a handful of minor cases where I couldn't seem to empty my bladder all the way. There was no pain or anything and I didn't think much of it. Sometimes I was able to link it to use of ibuprofen or aleve again (albeit a low dose) which I might've taken for further back pain, other times I wondered if it was just constipation. Overall though I wasn't having any serious problems until very recently and had an acute episode.

So, recently I came down with some urinary retention issues, and then a fever, and then more obvious UTI symptoms. Urine culture came back with Staph. I was prescribed 5 days of Macrobid...symptoms let up a bit but were still persistent after a week, so my doctor put me on 10 days of Cephalexin, and took another urine culture (which came back negative). Symptoms cleared up entirely after a couple days, and I stopped taking the Cephalexin (I was told I could stop due to negative culture). I was symptom-free for about 5 days, and then the symptoms came back (gradually over a few days). I started Cephalexin again and continued for 8 days (the symptoms didn't clear up, but kind of fluctuated from day to day, never getting too bad but never going away). About a day or two passed without antibiotics and I think the symptoms got a bit worse. Then I started another 10-day course of Cephalexin a couple days ago. My doctor told me he thinks it could be prostatitis. I'm seeing a urologist later in the week, presumably he'll be able to help with diagnosis and treatment. I've had two clean urine samples at this point (no bacterial growth) despite symptoms.

Has anyone had something like this before? I'm probably in the minority of people who would ever have to use a catheter without an underlying physical reason...and furthermore be silly enough to think I could simply clean and reuse catheters rather than sterilizing, and thus contract an infection. I'm fairly sure that's what led to the infection and I'm still dealing with it a month later...any advice or insight appreciated, thanks.

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Post Re: Acute Bacterial Prostatitis?
i had a hernia operation many years ago.
after the operation i couldn't go to the bathroom in the hospital.
it was frightening so i understand your problem.
doctor said, we will need to use a catheter.
after he left the nurse there told me the trick to relax is that when you to urinate, you close your eyes and start thinking about a past sexual encounter to relax.
since then, if i have any delay in urinating i take a trip down memory lane and it seems to work well.

for your acute infection, it sounds like the staph may have reached your prostate. let us know how your uro visit goes.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:48 am

Post Re: Acute Bacterial Prostatitis?
AC1972 wrote:
i had a hernia operation many years ago.
after the operation i couldn't go to the bathroom in the hospital.
it was frightening so i understand your problem.
doctor said, we will need to use a catheter.
after he left the nurse there told me the trick to relax is that when you to urinate, you close your eyes and start thinking about a past sexual encounter to relax.
since then, if i have any delay in urinating i take a trip down memory lane and it seems to work well.

for your acute infection, it sounds like the staph may have reached your prostate. let us know how your uro visit goes.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Over time the situation has improved a bit, and the hypothetical diagnosis has changed. Had urologist appointment, he checked me out, said he doesn't think prostate has any issues. Took me off of antibiotics, said he doesn't think what I'm experiencing is due to infection.

I believe there was infection and it did show up as Staph, I had fever etc., he thinks Staph might've not even caused infection that caused these symptoms. Personally I don't think I'd get a fever from nothing, I think it was the cause. But anyway, so I stopped the antibiotics. Things didn't get worse (got very slightly better over time, but it's gradual).

I went in for CT scan, found nothing. The one idea urologist had was that this could be a laceration caused by a catheter. Maybe I got both infection and this laceration (infection was fixed by antibiotics and this is lingering). What I figured is maybe I was taking intermittent catheters out too quickly. He said a laceration can behave like an infection. It has been 7-ish weeks, and still having symptoms. Bladder won't relax all the way on its own, it kind of ups and downs.

I'll think it's going away soon and then it'll be a little worse the next day. So I have to use a catheter sometimes, though I try my best to get it to empty it on its own, to use catheter as last result (it's not all that enjoyable and I also don't want to irritate the area). There's a pain in left side of bladder that kind of spreads to leg, gets worse on a full bladder, not a bad pain, more of a dull pain...but lets me know there is still some issue there. I've avoided doing most things to try to stop it from getting worse...even going for a walk.

Urologist says there's nothing I can do to help it heal faster (if it is indeed a laceration). I have a follow up appointment with him next week, so...I suspect it will still be recovering by then.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]