Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Recurring Prostatitis - New member 

Post Recurring Prostatitis - New member
hell all, i stumbled upon this website while reseraching on prostatitis. I am glad there are a forum dedicated to this matter.

I am 46 years old. I am generally pretty healthy before this year. I have high cholestrol for 10 years but been taking drugs so it's pretty well maintained. In the beginning of this year, out of no where, one day i started feeling the urge to pee every 1 to 2 hours. I went to the doctors, the doctor did a urine test and found blood. He prescribed me Cipro. I never took it because the symptom went away on its own before i even went the pharmacy. Fast forward to Aug, i went on to a Alaska cruise. I never got sick, but the urge to pee every 1 to 2 hours started to happen again on the last couple days of the trip. After coming back to LA, it went away for a week then came back again. I went to my PCP who did blood and urine test but all came back clean. Finally in mid-sept, i went to see an urologist. To my dismay, he performed a digital rectum examination (i was not expecting this, it was insane to me). He told me my prostate is inflammed and that i have prostatitis. He said it's pretty common and prescribed me Cipro for 14 days and Tamsulosin. Before i left, he added that some people gets infected by their own urine easily and have to live with this for the rest of their life.

I stopped Tamsulosin after 2 dose because i was getting nasuea from it. But managed to finish Cipro. After 6 or 7 days, i was seeing result and by 10th day, i was completely cured. That's the good news. The bad news is I been off Cipro for 10 day now and yesterday i can feel my urge to pee has increased again...and today i can feel the sympton completely coming back, been to restroom 5 times in the last 8 hours.

Well, looks like my urologist was right and i am getting infected again. I have to go see him again next week.

I want to hear this forum members' take on my sympton and what should I expect living with this sympton?

Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:44 am

Post Re: Recurring Prostatitis - New member
Sorry to hear about the troubles. I'm right there with you. I don't recall ever having flare-ups as frequently as has been the case the past few weeks. Been taking ibuprofen, but nothing else (besides my regular daily amount of tamsulosin). Hope you feel better soon...

Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:34 pm

getting the digital exam is what should be done by the
Urologist so don’t be surprised about that. It’s the only quick
way to feel the health of the prostate...

I went through the same thing. It’s possible the Cipro
gave you nausea, not the Flomax.

I’m not a firm believer that we all get infected prostates
when we start noticing urinary issues

I was first diagnosed with prostatitis but a cystoscopy revealed
I have a high riding bladder and a very tight bladder neck.

The Urologist took out a small amount of my prostate
and opened up my bladder neck

The prostate biopsy showed no sign of infection although
I was on Cipro for 2 months.

If some increase in frequency is your only issue I
wouldn’t worry about it too much...
If you have pain and difficulty with urinating then it
needs to be investigated further

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear about the problems. I can relate, since I'm going through the same thing. Been on tamsulosin for years, and have done very well with it. Had some of the usual prostatitis symptoms about a year ago and my urologist did a cystoscopy. Nothing showed up. Symptoms went away. Now back again. Finished 2 weeks of cipro - didn't really help. Started another round and just today went to my urologist (a new one - previous one retired this past summer - same practice though). He wants to do another cystoscopy and prostate ultrasound. He mentioned that sometimes tamsulosin loses its effectiveness over the years. See what happens with the procedures. Best of luck to you. Hope it all clears up and that you never need to report back here :)

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:00 pm

hi all, it's been a while since my last post. I been having increased urge to urinate since last Aug. It kinda toned down a bit in Nov and Dec and Jan, then it came back in February. I went to my urologist again in Feb and he told me to live with it, it's like an allergy. He also gave me prescription for Cipro and told me to take only if it's needed. I realize my issue is not as severe as others on this board but nonetheless, I want to find a cure. I have cut off all caffine, alchol, and acidic food from my diet. At a minimum, I don't want to advance my sympton to the next level.

I am also suffering from ED as a result of this. I am married with kid and have a very stressful and busy job....sexual tension between wife and I were already going downhill but it's practically non-existent now. Honestly I don't miss sex but the fact that I may not be able to perform when called upon do bother me.

This maybe more of a rant but I just want to get off this train.

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 pm

hello all, it's been a week since I last posted. I want to give an update because I think I found the source of my problem. For the past two weeks, I been waking up 2 to 3 times a nite to pee and it really affected me. My mood was bad because i was tired all the time and I couldn't perform my job well. I been reading this forum and other forums on the internet. There are quite a bit of threads that talked about "meditating" and "stretching" as ways to cure this terrible disease. I was running out of options so I gave stretching a try, leg up on the wall, pull kness toward the chest, etc...it didn't help for the 1st couple days, actually it made it worse. One day I was sitting in front of my computer and urge to pee just wouldn't go away although my bladder wasn't full because i just pee like 40 minutes ago. I was sitting with one leg up on the chair, I just started pulling my knee toward my chest to stretch and the urge to pee feeling immediately faded away a bit. Amazed, I kept stretching for the next 15 to 20 minutes on my chair. I went to sleep fully ready to get up 2 to 3 times that nite to pee......but i ended up sleeping 6 hours straight, the best sleep i had in weeks.

In the morning, I started to analyze why stretching would help, it made no sense to me really. I did the pulling knee toward the chest and I felt a muscle pain around the pubic bone on my left leg side. I kick my left leg up forward and backward while standing no pain; running/walking no pain; sitting down, no pain....however, when spreading out my left leg to the side as much as i can, I felt the sharp muscle pain near the pubic bone area. I did more stretching, kicking my left leg to the side as far as i can while standing and holding on to a chair.....place a heat pad in the pubic bone area. It's been couple days and this feeling of constant urge to pee is really fading away. It's only been couple of days so i am not going to declare victory just yet on my 9 month battle with this disease.

I suppose I had this muscle strain for a long time and not aware of it because it doesn't hurt walking, running or biking. Somehow this muscle strain is triggering something in the bladder to send the pee signal to my brain. I couldn't drink coffee or eat spicy food and acidic food/fruit as the urge and frequency would double. And it's all related to a muscle strain around my pubic bone area? Still makes no sense to me.

I will keepup the stretching and report back in another week or so. There is hope everyone!

Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 pm

Complete diet change is what i did. No caffeine, booze, nicotine, spices. All plant based diet, steamed vegetables, salt olive oil. otherwise follow the interstitial cystitis diet for which acidic foods to avoid.

Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Hello
If the Flomax/Tamsulosin didn't work well Oxybutynin
did the trick for me when dealing with flare ups only side effect
I encountered was dry mouth.
Also diet change can help no spicy food or caffeine is a start.

Wed May 27, 2020 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]