Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Mycoplasma/Ureaplasma Information Thread 

Post Mycoplasma/Ureaplasma Information Thread
Figured this needed it's own topic.

The research on Mycoplasma/Ureaplasma is all over the place. Some web sites say 80% of people have it and its harmless, others say it causes miscarriages, prostatitis, pelvic pain syndrome...etc. Seems like the research on this is just as all over the place as our urologists, so we must be on to something here :]

Also if you just Google news for "Mycoplasma resistance", it seems some scientific sites are starting to look at it as the new super resistant STI.

Other sites directly support theory it causes fungal infections on top. Just google "ureaplasma candida" or "ureaplasma fungus".

I believe these Mycoplasmas are one big part of the puzzle for us.

If you also just google Ureaplasma infection, you will come across tons of forums where women are complaining of year long infections that they thought were fungal and doctors couldn't figure out etc...turned out to be Ureaplasma. And even they had to take some long antibiotics to get cured, and they don't even have a hard to access organ like the Prostate.

On top of that, it is so hard to culture, as we have all seen it is near impossible to get PCR testing done.

It pretty much challenges the entire medical community on how they view "normal flora" etc. These links are worth a read.

Feel free to post anything you know about these bacteria and their treatment.

Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Post Re: Mycoplasma/Ureaplasma Information Thread
This is awesome, thanks man!

Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Yea, i tested pos for myco early on...negatjve since then. One of my uros says that myco is so common that its not a big deal. Other uro said myco can cause issue but not what i am experiencing. I just ordered a pcr dna testing kit from lab in texas...interested to see if i still have it.

Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 pm

These things are nasty little [fill in the blank], live in our own cells like parasites. They have no cell wall therefore it seems a lot of antibiotics don't work on them.

Essentially only the Cipro/Moxi, Doxy/Tetracycline, Azithro/Eritromycin groups work. And I think these are the ones that slow down bacterial growth, since there is no cell wall to attach to and kill these things. So I guess this means its essential our immune system gets to the areas of the prostate to finish off/suppress the infection once the ABX kill enough of it? I am hopeful massages can help with this.

This can also feed Autoimmune disease, since our immune system may start attacking our own cells which these plasmas enter into...this is messed up.

Wed May 09, 2018 2:59 pm

One aspect I haven't read about is how transient different species are.

Sat May 12, 2018 2:11 am

There are women suffering from these out there too...and they also repeatedly test negative for it after initial treatment and get the same responses from doctors that we are used to.

A lot of good info and protocols, I highly suggest you read thru most of that thread. You may have to make a free account otherwise a pop up message asking you to sign up blocks a lot of the text.

There is a book referred in that forum that I will also be purchasing that explains in detail a protocol for fighting these. The writer actually says these things take 1-2 YEARS to treat out of your system. Don't give up.

Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks Dom, if / when you get the book, please let us know what you find. I may also pick up a copy if my test results come back positive.

Tue May 15, 2018 8:26 pm

It almost sounds like one would have to complete a course of Avelox, then immediately follow it up with Azithromycin for probably an extended period of time until even the smallest traces of mycoplasma / ureaplasma in EPS are completely gone.

Seems like those two drugs can't be taken simultaneously either, due to potential QT interval issues.

Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm

Wonder if phages could easily take these species out.

Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Yea, problem is I had tendon pain after 1 day of Avelox haha.

I think what I will do when getting massages is alternate Doxy/Tetracycline/Azithro/Avelox/Levo every 1-2 days, so this bug gets a hot shot of all of them every couple of days so it can't build resistance? I refuse to take more than 1 ABX per day, so I will alternate days I think. We have to be our own docs here, I think most of us on here know more about these bugs at this point than 98% of doctors.

Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Inflamed,
Unfortunately phages specifically do NOT work on intracellular bacteria such as Mycoplasmas and Chlamydia...I quote from the Phage center web site on FAQ about what infections can not be treated:

Lyme disease and other intracellular bacterial infections: tuberculosis, chlamydia, other mycobacterial infections, spirochete and rickettsia infections, viral infections.

In fact, this one woman took Acyclovir (anti herpes medication) for one year and claims this was integral part of her healing. This is because these things act more like viruses than bacteria, in that they invade our own cells (no cell wall).

They are closely correlated with fungal infections as a side effect too...so I think all of us struggling with fungus, the fungus is a secondary infection to this stuff. One woman in the forum stated her fungal symptoms disappeared after taking ABX for Ureaplasma...hah!

Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Wow, unbelievable. These species are monsters.

I just read that mycoplasma and ureaplasma can be passed via oral sex. I'd bet money that that's why these urine cultures come back negative during the uti phase of this nightmare. They're only running Naat tests (useless) for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Yup anyone stating they are "clean" and tested by regular std panel tests in US has 100% not been tested for these. I did not hear about them until a doctor brought it up in Europe where they take them much more seriously.

Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 am

And once they go in their chronic state, they are hard to find in any test even PCR can be hard (if the bacteria is living in your cells its not shedding as much DNA to be found - similar to Chlamydia). Also these along with chlamydia are implicated in rheumatoid arthritis if you google it, there is info on reputable sites.

Yes Inflamed I find it hilarious some docs tell patients you cant get STDs from oral. All these and Chlamydia can live in throat nose membranes and eyes. Chlamydia has a dormant chronic state like these and can also be hard to detect.

Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am

I'm more than likely going to get my girl PCR swab tested via Microgen as well, especially if my result comes back negative. Odds are, something with show with either one of us. We can't have unprotected sex without me getting what seems like a uti within about 12 hours. All Naat tests come back negative (of course!). It's such BS. lol

Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 am

dom_hend wrote:
I think what I will do when getting massages is alternate Doxy/Tetracycline/Azithro/Avelox/Levo every 1-2 days, so this bug gets a hot shot of all of them every couple of days so it can't build resistance?

This sounds like an absolutely terrible idea, reckless even. It's a good way to end up with severe problems such that prostatitis is the least of your worries.

Wed May 16, 2018 1:04 pm

This is some very good information. Will take me a few days to go through. Thank you all for posting.

Having picked up an AB resistant Mycoplasma I can only say that these bugs are a much bigger problem then the world realizes.

I was fortunate I found a Uro who does prostate massage. We tried all sorts of antibiotics and the most effective was the 20 days moxiofloxacin and 6-weeks minocycline.

Ok, so 2 weeks off the antibiotics (I've been on ABs for 4 months - avelox, cipro, doxy, moxi and minocycline,)...and just today starting to feel some more pain come back. :x It's a Pinching pain at tip of penis which comes and goes.

I've ordered a kit from the lab in Texas (have it already) and am going to get my uro to take a sample and send it to them this week. Let's see what that says. My wife's culture should come back tomorrow.

Fri May 25, 2018 11:11 am

For information purposes, I posed a question to Dr. Hook on "Ask the Experts" about this topic. Answers below:

Prostate infections are poorly understood even by urologists however the best science-based information (not stuff found on the internet which is often incorrect and has no basis on scientific studies) is that little if any prostatitis is related to STI pathogens and, as you know from having read about CPPS, many persons with prostate symptoms do not have identifiable pathogens detected to guide treatment.

1) Can prostate infections be the result of oral sex? If so, how common is it?
There are no systematically performed, methodologically sound studies that suggest that prostatitis is meaningfully caused by oral sex.

1A) Can prostate infections result from analingus?
Same answer as above and still less logical as to how this would occur.

2) In regards to oral sex, can ureaplasma and mycoplasma be transmitted to the male urethra, and ultimately to the prostate? There seems to be conflicting information online about this; possible, not possible, not studied??
Ureaplasmas and mycoplasmas are part of the NORMAL bacterial flora found in the genital tract of men and women. They were studied exhaustively in the 1970's and no clear evidence that they were causes o STI pathology were found. Studies since that time have repeatedly confirmed this.

3) If these bacteria were indeed transmitted through oral means, would there most likely be a NGU type infection along with it? Could these be transmitted without discharge, urinary burning, etc?
Yes. NGU is the most common clinical syndrome which occurs following receipt of oral sex. While classical STI pathogens cause a small proportion of oral sex-related NGU, in most cases it appears that the irritation is a consequence of the introduction of a partner's oral bacteria into the urethra of a persons receiving oral sex which are recognized as "foreign" and cause self-limited urethritis. There are no data that such infections frequently cause complications or are transmitted to sexual partners to cause disease. I suspect that asymptomatic colonization can occur as well.

4) If these bacteria are in many people's genital tracks, why would these issues appear to be so prevalent in oral sex events vs vaginal sex?
No sure I follow the question. NGU associated with non-classical STI pathogens certainly occurs regularly following genital-genital sexual contact as well as receipt of oral sex.

5) Does a CSW vs a non-CSW make a difference with oral bacteria? One could assume they may have poor oral hygiene, or is the risk greater because of exposures prior to oneself? Further, doesn't saliva do a good job at neutralizing most bacteria?
There are no data on this topic. Which bacteria colonize persons genital tracts are no doubt a function of many factors including who they perform oral sex on.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:34 am

@stanfelder

I am really glad you didn't pay that doctor for those answers. There are more than a few guys here (and other forums) who have caught 'something' from unprotected oral sex. I am here to tell him that Mycoplasmas (and other bacteria) can be transmitted orally from biter experience.

I also think he is wrong in that mycoplasmas were studied extensively in the 1970s. Perhaps in a very basic sense they were 'studied' but they have only really been looked at as pathogens in the last 10-15 years.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 pm

To clarify, those who have found myco in their system, didn't you have a clear case of urethritis? I'm curious if just prostate pain could be caused by these pathogens WITHOUT urethritis symptoms first? Also, how many people found that through testing here? My pain is just the golf ball feeling, but never any discharge, dysuria, etc.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]