Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Another confused "prostatitis" sufferer after oral sex 

Post Another confused "prostatitis" sufferer after oral sex
Looks like I am adding my name to the pile... a pile that I admit I never knew existed prior to 4 months ago, and I am here today seeking your help and support. I will do my best to keep this short and sweet, but I am understandably confused and don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

I am 29 years old, and prior to this was in perfect health, for the most part. No diseases, never an STD in my life (lucky I'm sure because I've been very sexually active since I was 17, and not always safe). All I've ever had that I know of is the HSV-1 cold sore virus, joining the 60-80% of humans that have it and got it in childhood/young adulthood at some point or another. I've never had a cold sore, but I have the antibodies. I also frequently worked out in the gym up until January of this year when my gym suddenly closed permanently, and have "fallen off the wagon" and not worked out in months. Prior to this, I was doing 300#+ deadlifts and 280#+ back squats regularly, but my muscles are definitely not what they were 6 months ago.

Anyway. On Feb 24th I was pretty down on myself and saw a CSW who worked in Vegas regularly (where she is tested weekly for STDs) and she had a recent clean STD test result, she performed unprotected oral sex on me after assuring me that I had nothing to be concerned about. She was very much a professional, worked with an agency, and had very many other men singing her praises and saying they see her regularly and not a single reported issue against her ever - EVER.

There was no vaginal/anal sex, just the unprotected oral. I felt scummy immediately afterwards because it was my first and only time ever stepping outside of my LT relationship - something I will surely regret forever, but we were having trouble and I was in a dark place. Anyway, no excuses, I fucked up. I showered immediately when I got home, and everything felt fine the following week or so so I wasn't really worried about it, was just doing my best to put it behind me and be a better person.

~1.5 weeks after that oral sex, my Urethra started to burn pretty badly. No pain during urination, just a constant burning sensation day/night, and my penis felt physically warm when touched. I waited until 2 weeks and went and got a full STD panel run, blood and urine - negative for everything other than my previously mentioned cold sore virus. Very accurate FDA approved private tests, RNA NAAT testing for Chylamidia/Gonorrea, blood for Syphilis, HIV, Hepatitis, etc.

Still concerned, and still with a burning urethra, I went to an urgent care who did a urinalysis and said trace white blood cells, said maybe UTI - sent urine out for culture which eventually came back with no growth, and he also did a DRE and said my prostate was boggy. When he touched the prostate, I felt it run all the way up my urethra to the tip. He diagnosed me with acute prostatitis, likely bacterial, gave me Bactrim for 7 days and told me to see a urologist for follow-up.

And I did, 6 days later. He did another DRE, said he agreed it was boggy but didn't feel inflamed necessarily, again I felt pain in my urethra when he touched it. The burning had gone down a fair amount with the Bactrim but was still there, although milder. It was more obvious when sitting long periods or when I stressed over it. He switched me from Bactrim to Doxycycline for 10 days, which I took in full. Felt better on the medicine, then after it was over it crept back up.

This circle went on for weeks, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I'll save you the broken record. After multiple trips to the urologist and a second opinion from another urologist, I had been given multiple urinalysis and urine cultures that all came back clean. The first urologist also did a brief prostate massage and then had me urinate after the massage and they tested the post-massage urine again - also clean.

I've been on Bactrim for 7 days, Doxycycline for 10 days, then another 10 days, the dreaded Cipro (for 3 weeks), been given a 1G single dose Azythromycin, a 7 day aggressive course of Flagyl to rule out parasites (500mg x 3 / day for 7 days), and a 3 day course of Difulcan to try to rule out fungal or candida overgrowth/yeast infection.

In theory, according to my doctors, the cocktails I've been on for the last 4 months since this started should have eradicated any Staph, Mycoplasma, Ureplasma, Trichomoniasis, and any "average" UTI bacteria that could be causing these symptoms. Since they have been unable to find any infection at any stage, and since my most recent urologist visits have come back with a "clean bill of health" in the prostate department, they've put me in the Chronic Prostatitis/CPPS category.

I've consistently tested negative at different intervals for the last 4 months for all STDs, and I've tested negative for genital herpes (HSV2) at 12, 14, and 16 weeks. I also retested HIV even though it would be extremely unlikely, and syphilis, both at 12 weeks - all clear.

I finally convinced one of my urologists to give me a script for a Semen Bacteria culture, which I plan on getting next week - I just got the script 2 days ago and am giving myself some time off from masturbation to make sure I give them a quality sample next week. No doctor has ever cultured my Prostatic fluid directly, closest I got was a post-massage urine test. They seem unwilling to test my expressed prostatic secretion directly for some reason. I can't understand how this could happen directly after this one sexual mistake and NOT be an infection, either bacterial or viral... but nobody can find anything. If nothing comes up in my semen culture, I don't know what I'll do.

I have an appointment with a pelvic pain PT this Sunday for an evaluation, she does trigger point therapy and specializes in prostatitis/CPPS/IBS, but I am skeptical of its effectiveness. It's been 4 months now and I still have the same mild/dull ache in the tip of my penis that becomes worse when sitting for long periods. The skin in my pelvic area is also incredibly sensitive and I can feel my clothes rubbing against my penis and inner thighs, and I've had rare (but occasional) shooting electric pains in my pelvis and muscle twitching all throughout my body.

I would do ANYTHING to feel normal again, please help me brothers.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Post Re: Another confused "prostatitis" sufferer after oral sex
Your story is VERY similar to mine..tried all the same abx as you. I have had numerous semen cultures...all neg. Neg for everything for last year. I started the " anybody try microgen" thread as i sent semen, eps and urine to them for pcr and dna. It is suppose to be much more reliable than culture and i suggest you look into it. My results were neg for all std's but e-coli in urine, entero faecalis in eps and a few bacteria in semen that could cause proatatitis. Seeing an infectious disease doctor next week with results to narrow down the culprit. I suggest you look at microgen labs.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Most urologists (from my experience) don't do the pcr test for mycoplasma, or ureaplasma...both of which can be passed via oral sex. From what we've talked about on here, it takes a prolonged course of azithromycine, and / or avelox to kill that off once it hits the prostate. That may not even be what you have, it could be a random gut bug that somehow worked it's way in. PCR test from Microgen labs will more than likely tell you, like what Freakin said.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Thanks, I just stumbled across the microgen labs thread and was actually reading that and looking at their website a bit. When they do these DNA / RNA tests, do they test for everything including STDs? Or are they only testing for common bacteria/fungi? I never got any reliable testing for mycoplasma or ureplasma but based on the reading I did of various NIH papers I thought the 1g azythromycin would do it.. obviously the prostates pH environment makes things tricky, but since nobody can find any bacteria, nobody will prescribe me anything. I have no problem shelling out some money to get better testing, just want to make sure I know how to do it right and get the best full spectrum of tests available.

I'll be happy to try any tests I can to get to the bottom of this, I just want to feel better. If I have mycoplasma or ureplasma, I don't want to spread it to my S/O. We just had sex for the first time in 4 months yesterday since I had a "good day" in my prostatitis journey, but we used a condom because I told her I still didn't feel comfortable yet without knowing what my situation was regarding possible bacterias.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 am

I'm also experiencing some post oral sex blues, with penile symptoms such as irritated urethra, but no discharge or burning on urination. I'd have to ask though, what more can a doctor do after that cocktail of antibiotics you took? You obviously regret the event, especially since you're in a relationship. Do you think that your consuming thought pattern can be to blame for these symptoms since the drugs did nothing for you? I ask because I'm in the same boat. I have not gone down that heavy antibioitc path yet, out of fear my SO will see the script trail and I'll be doomed. I was/am convinced that NGU is the culprit and I've over-consulted with Dr Handsfield and Hook on "Ask the Experts" forum. They have told me it's completely mental, and there is no known link between oral sex and prostatitis. And even if NGU was to blame, it's harmless to me and my partner, and will clear on its own. I'm 11 weeks and sick of waiting.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:23 pm

I have taken pics of the swelling of urethra and redness of meatus after ejaculation. The urologists all agree something aint right
Microgen now tests for all std's including myco and ureaplasma. The quick pcr tests for them and them positive or negative. Then the detailed dna test shows you what bacteria are present and in which concentration. I am now confident it is not an std and more likely caused by e-coli, entero faecalis or maybe corynebacterium or high bacillus bacteria levels. Will update my thread once i see the infectious disease doctor.
Maybe i will post a copybof my results to show what it looks like.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm

stanfelder wrote:
I'm also experiencing some post oral sex blues, with penile symptoms such as irritated urethra, but no discharge or burning on urination. I'd have to ask though, what more can a doctor do after that cocktail of antibiotics you took? You obviously regret the event, especially since you're in a relationship. Do you think that your consuming thought pattern can be to blame for these symptoms since the drugs did nothing for you? I ask because I'm in the same boat. I have not gone down that heavy antibioitc path yet, out of fear my SO will see the script trail and I'll be doomed. I was/am convinced that NGU is the culprit and I've over-consulted with Dr Handsfield and Hook on "Ask the Experts" forum. They have told me it's completely mental, and there is no known link between oral sex and prostatitis. And even if NGU was to blame, it's harmless to me and my partner, and will clear on its own. I'm 11 weeks and sick of waiting.

I didn't really have a ton of guilt about it, my relationship was in dire straights at the time. I mean, not enough guilt that I was anxious over it that I can remember. All I know is that one day, while sitting at my computer minding my own business, I started having symptoms that resembled a UTI. Frequency, urgency, burning/warmth, etc... but no burning during urination, no discharge, no sores. THAT is the moment I started to get anxious and panic about it, not before. I was completely comfortable in the idea that this was a one time deal, it was a mistake, and it would never happen again - so while I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think I can accept that I subconsciously was so guilty over a one-time encounter that I developed all of these symptoms psycho-semantically or via chronic tension of my pelvis when I had never in 29 years ever felt that way before. I'd never even had a UTI in my life.

I don't think it is a coincidence that a bunch of people here, and other places online, all have encountered the same problems shortly after oral sex, especially from professionals who probably have all manner of oral/gut bacteria and risk of STDs. I didn't even know you COULD get STDs from oral sex, ignorance is bliss right?

I also consulted Dr Hook/Handsfield/Terri Warren on "Ask Experts Now" when I was concerned about STIs, they also told me the same thing, that it was not likely to be an STI because "oral sex is safe sex" because it has much lower risk of transmission of some STIs and its virtually impossible to transmit some others (like HIV). They also suggested this was likely an NGU which is no harm to me and my partner, or a prostate infection of unknown etiology that was not an STI. They also told me mycoplasma/ureplasma/trich do not reside in the mouth, though I have seen some studies and some other conversations by people on this board that seem to contradict that. I am certainly not questioning their medical expertise, I trust that they have done a great deal to help the world in its understanding of STIs with their work at University of Washington, but its ignorant to think that any doctor knows everything about everything, and while I feel a certain level of confidence in their answers, I do not feel like they coincide with the truth of my situation.

Truth is I've had unprotected sex with dozens of girls in my lifetime, I've been active since 17 years old. I've been with younger women, older women, virgins, and women who have been with probably too many men. This is the one and ONLY time I have ever been with a commercial worker/"professional", and this is the ONLY time that I've ever had a problem afterwards, I just can't accept that it is a coincidence.

@freakinfrustrated - I am considering persuit of the Microgen labs stuff myself, was planning on calling them today for more information. Question for you - did you do 3 tests? Urine/Prostate fluid/semen? Or did you only do Urine/Semen? I'm thinking that, to save myself some money, I can probably just do Urine and Semen, since Semen already contains Prostate fluid? Also it's very difficult for me to get a uro that is willing to do prostate massage to collect secretions, they only want to do post-massage urine, which dilutes the sample. I figure if I do urine and semen, anything in my semen can be assumed to also probably be in my prostate, and either way - should be eradicated. Thoughts?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I did all three as i didnt want to play around just to save 200 bucks. The urine was low bacteria which was e-coli. Eps was medium bacteria levels and mostly entero faecalis...semen was high bacteria levels ....but not for entero faecalis??? Was bacillus bacteria, e coli and corynebacterium mostly. No entero faecalis is semen (or under 2 percent that they dont report on) but 70 percent of bacteria in eps was entero facaelis. Does that make sense...either way im.glad i have a full.picture of each fluid..

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:11 pm

freakinfrustrated wrote:
I did all three as i didnt want to play around just to save 200 bucks. The urine was low bacteria which was e-coli. Eps was medium bacteria levels and mostly entero faecalis...semen was high bacteria levels ....but not for entero faecalis??? Was bacillus bacteria, e coli and corynebacterium mostly. No entero faecalis is semen (or under 2 percent that they dont report on) but 70 percent of bacteria in eps was entero facaelis. Does that make sense...either way im.glad i have a full.picture of each fluid..

In the long run, I really don't care so much about the $200 so I see your point, I have just struggled to find any doctor willing to give me a legitimate prostate massage to the point where fluid comes out in a collectible fashion. The only uro that even attempted a massage was incredibly reluctant, I could actually hear him say "oh, great" through the door when the nurse told him what I wanted, and then he did a rough massage for 5-10 seconds - no fluid came out, and then he had me urinate.

Did you actually collect EPS directly, or did you do post-massage urine and considered that to be EPS? If you did EPS, did you do it yourself, or get a doctor that was willing to help you?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 pm

I go to ilia kaploun in toronto who is known for prostate massage. Always gets as much fluid out as possible and then he takes a sample to a microscope to look for wbc. He referred.me to microgen and did the paperwork and the eps for me. I then went home and a few hours later collected urine, then semen.
I have been to 3 uros and nobody else does it but he feels the prostate gets congested and needs to be expressed. I dont feel any better after i get it done though.
Feels a burning on tip of penis and its sucks to get it done but whatever helps.
Not many doctors do prostate massage it seems.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I also got this prostatitis nightmare from an episode of oral and brief vaginal contact. Same ole story. Been on all the ABXs and all sorts of various other treatments. If it's of any solace, July will be my 3yr anniversary of start of symptoms...and after peaking about 1.5 years after start of symptoms, my prostatitis has slowly waned to the point now where I barely pay it any mind. It's still there but nothing of a bother like it once was. I think in these situations where nothing definitive was ever found and all sorts of ABXs have been tried that time is ultimately what it takes.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:36 pm

prostate454 wrote:
I also got this prostatitis nightmare from an episode of oral and brief vaginal contact. Same ole story. Been on all the ABXs and all sorts of various other treatments. If it's of any solace, July will be my 3yr anniversary of start of symptoms...and after peaking about 1.5 years after start of symptoms, my prostatitis has slowly waned to the point now where I barely pay it any mind. It's still there but nothing of a bother like it once was. I think in these situations where nothing definitive was ever found and all sorts of ABXs have been tried that time is ultimately what it takes.

Did any of the abx provide relief, or apparently not since this went on for 3years? I was just prescribed Cipro but I’m hesitant to take it as the first dose made me feel like I was on acid. I don’t handle strong scripts real well. I’m trying to gauge from this forum if the abx trail is even with it. Your post seems to indicate it’s now.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:58 am

stanfelder wrote:
prostate454 wrote:

Did any of the abx provide relief, or apparently not since this went on for 3years? I was just prescribed Cipro but I’m hesitant to take it as the first dose made me feel like I was on acid. I don’t handle strong scripts real well. I’m trying to gauge from this forum if the abx trail is even with it. Your post seems to indicate it’s now.

Through my odyssey I used Doxy, Cipro, Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin, Augmentin, and Fosfomycin. None of them did squat except I did feel measurable improvement on moxi, but within 9 days of stopping it my symptoms were back as bad as ever. I have no idea if it was some anti-inflammatory effect or if it was actually doing anything useful. I was lucky enough not to have any real bad side effects on the quinolones despite being on them for an almost combined 5mo when I added it all up. Levofloxacin did cause some temporary joint pain that cleared up as soon as I finished. Augmentin caused c-diff and fosfomycin caused it to relapse almost a year later, so those two were the worst for me. If I was to do it all over again I would have just done one extended course of moxifloxacin (12wks) and then called it quits with abxs. Of course hindsight is 20/20. I feel like you have to at least try them once just to say you did and prove to yourself that they aren't the answer.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Welcome to the club. It's a horrible club.

Get the MicroGen. Call around and find a urologist who will do prostate massages and a PCR test with culture. Talk to them on the phone if can to avoid wasting your time and money with some guy who got his MD 30 years ago and is going to charge you $300 to tell you, "It's in your head."

It's a travesty how many 'doctors' don't know about mycoplasma and other bacteria that can affect the prostate.

I was lucky in that I found a Urologist who actually has been through a similar event with his girlfriend when he was younger. He knows that bacteria can be passed on orally with no condom. In fact, his theory is that a lot of "Chronic Non Bacterial" prostatitis is actually created this way between husbands and wives.

Mate, you want to find out what this bug is as soon as you can. If my Uro hadn't done the prostate fluid culture and showed me that I had an ANTI-BIOTIC RESISTANT MYCOPLASMA I could have been messed up even more than I am now.

Good luck. Feel free to PM.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]