Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 PCR Testing 

Post PCR Testing
Hey guys, is Bedford labs the only lab out there doing pcr testing of semen? Please let me know, and if you have contact information as well. Finally going to get this done.

Tue May 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Post Re: PCR Testing
I’d be cautious with Bedford Labs. I submitted my semen to them and it came back “positive for bacteria”, a very vague response that didn't offer much explanation. I called to clarify what this meant and they said they would need another $1,000 to $1,200 to determine which bacteria it is. They claim it’s probably anaerobes. I didn’t end up paying the additional costs, so it ended up being a waste of money.

Tue May 01, 2018 7:56 pm

What, wow, that's kind of ridiculous. Sorry to hear you had to deal with that. I will definitely pose some questions and get some things put in writing before I proceed.

Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 am

PCR testing is the way to go. It is ridiculous how hard it is to do this in the States without jumping through 50 loop holes and referrals so everyone in the chain and insurance companies can get their share of your money.

Last edited by dom_hend on Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 03, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm wondering what we would do differently with pcr testing anyway. Most of us have already been on the abx merry-go-round. So what would change with pcr testing? It might find ecoli, enterococcus, staphylococcus, etc...and most likely it would be susceptible to Cipro, doxy, or bactrim...which most of us have already been on anyway, so what are you actually gaining? You won't have proof that whatever is identified is causing your prostatitis anyway. Hey I'm all for it if it's available, but I wouldn't expect it to solve anything if you've already run the gauntlet with regular cultures and abxs.

Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Haha you are right, I plan on doing the daily massage + correct ABX based on PCR testing for a while, and see if it resolves. I'm 99.9% sure mine is bacterial. Until I see totally negative PCR and low WBC counts, I'll stick with bacterial treatment.

Thu May 03, 2018 7:21 pm

You live and learn. No big deal. It was desperate measures for desperate times, including the 6 weeks I went to Greece and received treatment from Dr. Georgiadis. I loved Greece, but I would never give Georgiadis another dollar. His strategy for me involved a false chlamydia diagnosis that created a lot of anxiety for me. He tried to convince me to have my girlfriend fly over and get treated as well. He didn’t cure anyone while I was there and he wants you to keep coming back year after year, incurring 4 to 11 week stays. I met many fellow sufferers there from around the world and kept in contact with them. He didn’t cure any of them. It’s basically a shotgun approach with various antibiotics that are changed up throughout the course of your treatment, combined with twice daily prostate pressure treatments that leave you feeling bruised and tender.

Thu May 03, 2018 10:45 pm

I respect your opinion and experience. No one thing works for everyone or is magic.

I'm not telling you what to do or think, you are smart enough from what I've seen to do that on your own. But as Americans we sometimes think international clinics are just "out to get our American money". I can tell you I've spent $1000s of dollars on US urologists and had to beg them to do Semen tests instead of blindly giving me antibiotics and tearing up my stomach and telling me no one does semen testing anymore. You tell me, who is REALLY trying to take your money?

Last edited by dom_hend on Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 04, 2018 11:42 am

Dom_ Hend, If you’ve seen any of my posts then you’d know I’ve been testing for chlamydia numerous times. Swabs, urine, semen, prostatic secretions, etc. All negative, except for the Mycolab that Dr. G uses in Greece. Is this a Coincidence? I’ve also taken enough antibiotics to destroy this common bacteria just in case it was there. I had my girlfriend tested for peace of mind after endless amounts of unprotected sex because Dr. G almost convinced me to fly her out to Greece for unneeded treatment. A good friend I met at Dr. G’s clinic from Romania actually did fly his girlfriend to Greece and of course Dr G found all kinds of “bugs”. She received treatment which resulted in a burnt vagina (due to inserting antibiotics) and a broken relationship. My friend even went back for another 4 weeks of treatment, after the initial treatment. He went through all kinds of tortures there. Dr G even convinced him that he needed urethral dilations that involved shoving a long metal probe down his dick on a daily basis :shock:

Another American I met there received 11 weeks of treatment and wasn’t cured. He was on quinalones and other various antibiotics the whole time and received the pressure treatments twice per day. In addition, Dr. G performed some questionable treatments on this man’s penis. This patient told me Dr. G would inject his penis, shock it with electricity, and/or apply some kind of suction treatment. Maybe this is normal?

With all due respect, you don’t have a lot of credibility on this forum. You have a handful of posts and appear to be some kind of advocate for Dr. G. If you were truly suffering, we would have seen you on here a long time ago. Many of these doctors claiming they have the cure, both domestic and international, are well known to have advocates on the Internet spreading misinformation. Not saying that you are, but I’m definitely skeptical.

Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm

I understand. Trust me, I'm in this like all of us suffering and I'm trying to figure it out.

Fri May 04, 2018 3:58 pm

If anyone hasn't had the chance to check this article from the National Institute of health out, it's pretty interesting, take a look:

Value of semen culture in the diagnosis of chronic bacterial prostatitis: a simplified method.

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the role of semen cultures versus segmented urine cultures for the diagnosis of bacterial chronic prostatitis.
MATERIAL AND METHODS:

We retrospectively examined 895 patients (age range 17-67 years) who met the consensus criteria for clinical chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome, 50.1% of whom had dysuria and/or perineal discomfort, 37.4% infertility of unknown etiology and 12.5% erectile dysfunction. Segmented urine cultures, including expressed prostatic secretions (EPSs) and semen culture, were performed in all patients.
RESULTS:

Of the 895 patients, 182 had significant positive cultures for Gram-negative microorganisms (Escherichia coli was the commonest specimen isolated: 70.4% of cases) and 283 had significant positive cultures for Gram-positive microorganisms. We compared the culture yield in EPS and/or the urine voided after prostatic massage (VB3) sample (four-glass method) with that of the semen sample. In the Gram-negative group, 32 patients were diagnosed by means of semen culture (negative EPS and/or VB3 sample) and in only five cases was a positive diagnosis made despite a negative semen culture (positive EPS and/or VB3 sample). In the remaining subjects, diagnosis was performed with the aid of both EPS/VB3 sample and semen (both of which were positive). In the Gram-positive group, there was significant growth of such microorganisms in semen in every case considered positive, but in only 46 cases was diagnosis achieved via EPS and/or VB3 sample. A diagnosis of chronic prostatitis by Gram-positive microorganisms in these patients was only considered when the same microorganism was retrieved in repeated cultures without previous treatment. Only three cases met such criteria (all of whom had negative EPSs). To evaluate the diagnostic efficiency of the semen and EPS samples, we analyzed their sensitivity and specificity, obtaining higher sensitivity in semen than EPS samples for significant Gram-negative cultures: 97% vs 82.4%. In significant Gram-positive cultures, the sensitivity of semen samples was 100%, compared to only 16.1% for EPS.
CONCLUSIONS:

A semen sample has higher sensitivity than an EPS for the diagnosis of bacterial chronic prostatitis. In our clinical work-up, first-void urine and a semen culture are considered the only tests necessary to diagnose chronic prostatitis.

Fri May 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi ,

you can give both sample semen and EPS but you need someone to help you ,I just received my semen PCR from MICROGEN and it show the 2 years hidden ?hit in my prostate ,4 days no intercouse or ABX then I take shower to clean all areas , my wife did Prostate massage for few minutes then I give semen sample , it should contain small amount of EPS ,I am just surprising there is a bacteria that not shown in the last 2 years in all test I go through ,Methicillin-resistant enterococcus faecalis heavy growth doctor said its contamination !!! I don't know who I should believe but no antibiotic without prescription

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]