Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Enterococcus treatment w/ Amoxicillin 

Post Enterococcus treatment w/ Amoxicillin
so I went to a new ID doctor who is putting me on Amoxicillin for Enterococcus faecalis even though it may not have worked in the past (or I got reinfected).
We did an e-test to determine how much is needed to kill this strain, and he also checked how much is needed to penetrate the prostate at that level and is putting me on more than the last dose - 1000mg 3 times a day. the last time it was 875mg twice a day.
has anyone successfully gotten rid of Enterococcus for good? If so, what was the dosage? Thanks!

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Post Re: Enterococcus treatment w/ Amoxicillin
I assume you are referring to augmentin (amoxicillin w/clavulanic acid) and not just straight up amoxicillin. If memory serves me correct the clavulanic acid is required to help with penetration. I was on it for six weeks, I believe I had 825/175mg dose or something like that. If I did it all over again I would not have taken it. It's supposed to have marginal penetration compared to quinolones and my side effects were much worse on it. I ultimately got c-diff while on it as well.

As far as symptoms are concerned, I might as well have been taking a sugar pill for my prostatitis. I have tested negative for enterococcus every time since treatment though. Did nothing for my prostatitis which leads me to believe that, at least in my case, the enterococcus is/was not the cause.

If you've already taken it and had no benefit I doubt upping the dose is going to do anything for you this time either.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am

Drink Kefir, eat yogurt, take probiotics and maybe get some Florastor. CDiff is wicked, those things should help prevent it.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:26 am

^ That was in reference to the OP. Did yours ever clear up prostate454? Hope you're doing better now man.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 am

Inflamed wrote:
^ That was in reference to the OP. Did yours ever clear up prostate454? Hope you're doing better now man.

I've had definite improvement as of late. If I don't do masturbation then most days It's minimal enough not to bother me too much. Regular sex doesn't seem to flare it much either anymore. Masturbation is a problem for a day or two afterwards. Over time that has improved as well, but it's a tedious evolution. There are still days here and there that are somewhat painful but they are not the norm anymore. In any case, something definitely improved after my massage + abx treatment and/or my ganglion impar block a few weeks ago.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:15 pm

i meant amoxicillin. while a urologist had me on augmentin (amoxicillin + clavulanic acid) in the past and claimed it improved prostate penetration, this infectious disease doctor says the clavulanic acid is unnecessary and that its only needed in the presence of another type of bacteria and that the clavulanic acid can cause its own set of side effects. where have you heard that clavulanic is required for prostate penetration? please reply quickly as I'm ready to take this stuff.
also, i was symptomatic for years. got rid of the enterococcus and was not fine until taking low dose elavil and going to the gym regularly. HOWEVER, was fine for 4 years. enterococcus was not found in semen cultures during this time. relapsed. test results showed enterococcus. i suspect an infection w calcification caused initial symptoms and spasm and that in the end the elavil is needed to reduce the spasm / pain.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Inflamed wrote:
Drink Kefir, eat yogurt, take probiotics and maybe get some Florastor. CDiff is wicked, those things should help prevent it.

Not in my case! I was taking kefir, VSL3, yogurt, and Florastor...it still all relapsed again on fosfomycin. Anyway, it sucked but instead of using vancomycin to treat it this time I used dificid and the results were so much better. My BMs are pretty normal by my standards now, though I do still have some fatigue and neuropathy from time to time. Not enough to really bother me though. One weird thing this time around is that post c-diff I have developed some sort of intolerance to alcohol. Perhaps I'll have three glasses of wine over the course of a Saturday evening and the next morning I'll throw up a whole bunch of times and feel miserable all day. Other times it doesn't have any effect. It's rather strange, though luckily I don't drink all that much anyway. It seems to be reducing with time luckily.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]