Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Do people who squat have lower rates of cpps? 

Post Do people who squat have lower rates of cpps?
One of the leading theories for chronic pelvis pain is disfunctional pelvic floor muscles. Squatting is a basic human position that we don't do much in the west. However many of the recommended stretches (pigeon pose, baby on back holding feet, deep lunge stretch, etc) are very squat like, we know squatting is the healthiest position to defecate and avoid hemmoroids, and it puts all those muscles into a nice stretch. I wonder if prolonged sitting in a 'third world squat' would help open this area up.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Post Re: Do people who squat have lower rates of cpps?
I do the frog pose and "happy baby" all the time. It feels good in the moment but in my case doesn't seem to do much long term. It seems like the muscles involved with the prostate aren't really able to be stretched much from external exercises from my experience. No exercises really help except for interrnal stretches. I'd love it if I could get relief from an exercise that didn't involve me sticking my finger up my rectum though!

Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:44 am

What I'm getting at with this hypothesis post is that we do these exercises for a few minutes out of the day whereas pre-modern humans were basically in these positions for hours a day because that's how you sit when there's no chairs. Many westerners can't even squat anymore but it may be a worthwhile thing to try to do.

Take 'happy baby' for example, you can only exert a few pounds of force with your hands whereas sitting in a squat will put your entire weight into the stretch. If our muscles in there are spazzed out like steel cables they need some serious time and pressure to really open up.

I don't know if any research has been done but I would be extremely interested in what rates of pelvic pain people in squatting dominant cultures have. They're known to have less constipation/hemmoroid issues, childbirth issues, hip issues, etc, so why not pelvic floor and prostatic pain too.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:54 am

Makes sense.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:20 am

This makes sense to me to. Western lifestyle - out of shape, overweight, sitting all day at work, poor diet and posture...it probably does make things quite a bit worse. Heck even when I consciously relax my PC muscles they feel like high tension cables up in there. They seem like very powerful muscles.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:34 am

why then the majority of fat people do not suffer from any form of pelvic pain? or those who have severe structural issues, like one leg much longer than the other and they walk only with the help of a cane, or even those completely paralyzed.. yet no cpps.
I get the point that it's caused by muscles. I bet every single case here has cpps due to the muscle tension (unless it's clearly proven bacterial with classic onset of bacterial infection) yet I very much doubt that it's a structurally caused by poor posture or bad habits of sitting incorrectly. We are not that fragile.. PTs and chiropractors are no different than those stupid docs who keep feeding you with usless antibiotics.
Take a look at one match of american football, those players get smashed daily, their postures, bones and muscles must be a complete mess, yet they do not suffer from any cpps. The majority here got cpps after a a strong emotional conflict or physical trauma which are proven to be the source of UNCONCIOUS tension, thus the muscles are in spasm, squeeze on the nerves and we get various symptoms. No PT or Chiropractor will help you with this sort of tension unless you address what's in the head.
Did notice how many cases of people who cheated on their spouses and then immediately got this? Prostatitis literally became their identity and source of complete pre-occupation. Doesn't it seem to serve a purpose? think people think.
Pretty much no one recovers on this site because the majority are looking for structural causes, especially those who are looking for hidden bacteria.. suffering 7, 10, 20 years and they keep counting.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:56 am

I had been told that doing squats could be bad for the prostate but anecdotally speaking, in my case, I went through a period of squatting while trying to re-gain strength in my legs following tendon damage after using ciprofloxacin. This is probably a pure coincidence but I happened to see an improvement in my symptoms while engaged in the frequent squats and leg stretches.

I had not put 2 & 2 together before reading this post...but now I wonder, could there be a relationship?

Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Carbonevo wrote:
why then the majority of fat people do not suffer from any form of pelvic pain? or those who have severe structural issues, like one leg much longer than the other and they walk only with the help of a cane, or even those completely paralyzed.. yet no cpps.
I get the point that it's caused by muscles. I bet every single case here has cpps due to the muscle tension (unless it's clearly proven bacterial with classic onset of bacterial infection) yet I very much doubt that it's a structurally caused by poor posture or bad habits of sitting incorrectly. We are not that fragile.. PTs and chiropractors are no different than those stupid docs who keep feeding you with usless antibiotics.
Take a look at one match of american football, those players get smashed daily, their postures, bones and muscles must be a complete mess, yet they do not suffer from any cpps. The majority here got cpps after a a strong emotional conflict or physical trauma which are proven to be the source of UNCONCIOUS tension, thus the muscles are in spasm, squeeze on the nerves and we get various symptoms. No PT or Chiropractor will help you with this sort of tension unless you address what's in the head.
Did notice how many cases of people who cheated on their spouses and then immediately got this? Prostatitis literally became their identity and source of complete pre-occupation. Doesn't it seem to serve a purpose? think people think.
Pretty much no one recovers on this site because the majority are looking for structural causes, especially those who are looking for hidden bacteria.. suffering 7, 10, 20 years and they keep counting.

Well, if you were to look at me in real life you'd assume I was some super athlete who could squat 500lbs and bench 350lbs who probably never had a deal with a real medical ailment in his entire life. Truth be told I'm suffering miserably from prostatitis daily, just got over a c-diff infection (which I believe may be recurring), and have an autoimmune disease to boot! So outward appearances of healthy looking people can be deceiving.

You'd have to look at very large populations and see rates of prostatitis/CPPS but I'm not aware of any significant studies available. I also agree that a sedentary lifestyle in and of itself might not be enough to trigger chronic prostatitis (but apparently stress can) however I would posit that it could amplify or lengthen the effects of it. Infidelity is another source of stress or shame so I lump that in there too.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:27 pm

I've started to do a lot more running recently in order to win a bet with a coworker at work, and I notice that following a good run my symptoms are lessened for a while. I'm assuming it helps to stretch things out and get the muscles warmed up and flexible up in the pelvic.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:28 pm

To clarify I do not mean heavy weighted barbell squats. I mean simply sitting in the squat position like many do in the east.

Kelly Starrett from MobilityWOD talks about this in his first episode and says squatting is incredibly important for general soft tissue health. http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... XwKnk16Zbs

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:00 pm

dihard wrote:
To clarify I do not mean heavy weighted barbell squats. I mean simply sitting in the squat position like many do in the east.

Kelly Starrett from MobilityWOD talks about this in his first episode and says squatting is incredibly important for general soft tissue health. http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... XwKnk16Zbs

Yes, that's what I was doing in the period mentioned above. I was squatting similar to that to re-strengthen my legs.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:00 pm

In terms of squatting being the more natural and healthy way to defecate for your pelvic floor, has anyone tried the "squatty potty" sold on Amazon or any other product like it?

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]