Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Here's how you should approach prostatitis 

Post Here's how you should approach prostatitis
I have been battling this since July of 2013. If you want to know more about my story or details I can provide that later...hindsight is definitely 20/20 and this has helped me form sort of a standard way to approach this problem that I hope everyone,if they haven't already, will do so. This is merely my opinion but I want to share it so I can help many people out there struggling with this. I have found new hope, I am not cured yet but hopefully will be after my current therapy ends.

1. If you suspect prostatitis go to your doctor and tell them to perform a semen culture. Just go do your business in a sterile cup they provide you and get it back to the lab.

2. If a bacteria is found this way then there is your culprit. You need to take the appropriate antibiotic that kills the bug. This should be known from a susceptibility test that the lab runs on your culture. Antibiotics ability to get into good levels in the prostate and the effectiveness of treatment are a matter of debate. My bug happened to be enterococcus faecalis which was susceptible to penicillin and vancomycin. However, penicillin doesn't achieve good levels in the prostate. This is because my doctor had seen a case similar to mine and this worked because of number 3.

3. After finding the right antibiotic for your bug, take it for one month minimum unless bad reaction occurs. Then after one month retest with another culture. If bug still there, take another month and repeat process, etc. it could take up to 6 months or more from what I've gathered. Be sure it can kill the bug and do not guess. (Which I did before I knew all this)

4. Run bloodwork too. In my case my testosterone is low which I believe is a result from this. This can help get a grip on your situation. Also sex hormones and thyroid can be checked as well to rule out anything serious. But hormones can play a role in this, I personally don't know whether it's causative or an effect of prostatitis.

5. Inflammation is a big part of this disorder. One thing to do is either take a hot bath or to sit on a heating pad which will help circulate blood in the area. The baths seem to help a lot but I cannot do it everyday for the life of me but need to start doing again. Also herbs can help too. I took some garlic pills a while back and those seemed to help. I've also tried oil of oregano but am not sure if that helped or not. I'm currently looking into zinc and querctin supplements. If anyone knows more about these let me know.

6. Take a probiotic while on antibiotics. This is a must as there are risks that go along with long term antibiotic use.

7. If there is no bug in the first culture then you need to have a doctor do a rectal exam and express some prostatic fluid out and then do the culture. Or an alternative could be to have a doctor do an exam and then masterbate or urinate and send in that specimen to be cultured. In my opinion after all these steps a bug should be identified in a majority of the cases. If no bug is found after this then nonbacterial prostatitis is probably the case. Inflammation and hormones should be addressed in this case as well maybe as the cause as well. Physical therapy should be pursued as well as massaging. (This should be the case for bacterial and nonbacterial)

8. I also have epididymitis along with this. At first I thought it was a varicocele or torsion. After looking at my symptoms I feel with most confidence that it is epidydymitis and my seminal vesicles, vas deferens, and my urethra is all inflammed. I think once the bacteria is taken care of then my symptoms will subside eventually.

Hopefully these guidelines and tips will help everyone in their battle with this terrible disorder. The medical community needs to look into this matter further as it can really hamper someone's life. I am only in my twenties and not married so I sympathize will everyone out there. But I feel like I am on the right track and while I may be wrong with down of my statements, I am sure that overall I am on the right track and know what I am talking about. There are still unanswered aspects of my problem out there but I feel a lot better than I did one year or 6 months ago. I will post my symptoms at a later date. Thanks everyone for reading and sorry for rambling.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:40 pm

Post Re: Here's how you should approach prostatitis
tennisNgolf33 wrote:
I have been battling this since July of 2013. If you want to know more about my story or details I can provide that later...hindsight is definitely 20/20 and this has helped me form sort of a standard way to approach this problem that I hope everyone,if they haven't already, will do so. This is merely my opinion but I want to share it so I can help many people out there struggling with this. I have found new hope, I am not cured yet but hopefully will be after my current therapy ends.

1. If you suspect prostatitis go to your doctor and tell them to perform a semen culture. Just go do your business in a sterile cup they provide you and get it back to the lab.

2. If a bacteria is found this way then there is your culprit. You need to take the appropriate antibiotic that kills the bug. This should be known from a susceptibility test that the lab runs on your culture. Antibiotics ability to get into good levels in the prostate and the effectiveness of treatment are a matter of debate. My bug happened to be enterococcus faecalis which was susceptible to penicillin and vancomycin. However, penicillin doesn't achieve good levels in the prostate. This is because my doctor had seen a case similar to mine and this worked because of number 3.

3. After finding the right antibiotic for your bug, take it for one month minimum unless bad reaction occurs. Then after one month retest with another culture. If bug still there, take another month and repeat process, etc. it could take up to 6 months or more from what I've gathered. Be sure it can kill the bug and do not guess. (Which I did before I knew all this)

4. Run bloodwork too. In my case my testosterone is low which I believe is a result from this. This can help get a grip on your situation. Also sex hormones and thyroid can be checked as well to rule out anything serious. But hormones can play a role in this, I personally don't know whether it's causative or an effect of prostatitis.

5. Inflammation is a big part of this disorder. One thing to do is either take a hot bath or to sit on a heating pad which will help circulate blood in the area. The baths seem to help a lot but I cannot do it everyday for the life of me but need to start doing again. Also herbs can help too. I took some garlic pills a while back and those seemed to help. I've also tried oil of oregano but am not sure if that helped or not. I'm currently looking into zinc and querctin supplements. If anyone knows more about these let me know.

6. Take a probiotic while on antibiotics. This is a must as there are risks that go along with long term antibiotic use.

7. If there is no bug in the first culture then you need to have a doctor do a rectal exam and express some prostatic fluid out and then do the culture. Or an alternative could be to have a doctor do an exam and then masterbate or urinate and send in that specimen to be cultured. In my opinion after all these steps a bug should be identified in a majority of the cases. If no bug is found after this then nonbacterial prostatitis is probably the case. Inflammation and hormones should be addressed in this case as well maybe as the cause as well. Physical therapy should be pursued as well as massaging. (This should be the case for bacterial and nonbacterial)

8. I also have epididymitis along with this. At first I thought it was a varicocele or torsion. After looking at my symptoms I feel with most confidence that it is epidydymitis and my seminal vesicles, vas deferens, and my urethra is all inflammed. I think once the bacteria is taken care of then my symptoms will subside eventually.

Hopefully these guidelines and tips will help everyone in their battle with this terrible disorder. The medical community needs to look into this matter further as it can really hamper someone's life. I am only in my twenties and not married so I sympathize will everyone out there. But I feel like I am on the right track and while I may be wrong with down of my statements, I am sure that overall I am on the right track and know what I am talking about. There are still unanswered aspects of my problem out there but I feel a lot better than I did one year or 6 months ago. I will post my symptoms at a later date. Thanks everyone for reading and sorry for rambling.

That is one of the things I disapproved of me doctor, he only did a urine test - found nothing, did the rectal exam said I had prostatitis because I was in pain when he touched my prostate and then put me on antibiotics (Bactrim and Doxycyline).

I had wish he had done a semen and prostate culture test before he put me on the antibiotics. That way I would have been sure of the bacteria.

All my symptoms are urinary, urinary, urinary. I have no pain or that golf ball feeling many describe. But the urinary symptoms take a toll on your sleep, I probably wake up 3-4 times a night, and get less than 3 hours of sleep. It's hell.

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:48 pm

tennisNgolf33 wrote:

What are your main symptoms?

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:55 pm

What are your main symptoms?[/quote]

Here is a list of my symptoms(Remember this has been over the course of a year and I have been on different antibiotics):

Frequent urination - When it first appeared I was going every 30 minutes clear urine in large amounts. Now the current antibiotic I am on quells this a lot but when I had flare ups its usually every hour or two. Now the main symptom is bladder pain/discomfort. Its not as frequent but when I do have to go it really feels like a full bladder or that I really have to go. It seems to be improving though. I would say its normal for most days of the week with a couple where it flares some.

Split urine stream - Stream is split occasionally but actually what I mean is that my stream kind of shoots out sort of to the right. I have no problem urinating and the flow is nice most of the time but its kind of crooked. I have noticed though that it is trying to dissipate here lately.

Stinging tip - It happened a lot in between antibiotics. Almost like a spasm throughout the penis or just the tip. Ranges from mild to moderate.

Perineal pain - this was my first symptom a year ago. An ache in my "gooch" area. was worse in the beginning. Happens sometimes. Flutters sometimes like a spasm. If really aggravated it will cramp with pain but this doesn't happen a lot. It can range towards the anus too. Also can range into the left groin as well and can ache. I had low back pain before this but sometimes it is more pronounced too.

Pelvic discomfort - My whole perineal region muscles or pelvic floor feels inflamed...hard to describe but feels like it needs stretching or is mushy or I need to wipe(just the feeling not that I need to wipe at all)

left testicle - this is whats really bothered me the most. First noticed a year ago. I was feeling around down there and it felt like there was a whole other testicle above my left testicle. Also the back of it was/is very tender. The back was also swollen you could see the epidydymis. Before all of this my testicles would hang really well and the left was slightly lower. In the past year, they have hung the same, and the left testicle is now more forward and up towards the body. Many doctors/urologists later, 2 scrotal ultrasounds later I still don't know exactly what is wrong with it. But after my own research and hindsight, I think the bacteria spread to my left epidydymis and other tubes which has inflamed them. Also since my hormones out of whack the balls are a lot closer to the body. My ultrasounds looked normal I did get conflicting views from two different urologists who may or may not have looked at the tests. But one of the nurses told me that I had slightly swollen veins. The other test revealed a hydrocele which may or may not be attributing to all this. So I may have a varicocele but heat makes it go back to normal so I am going with inflammation for now.

Shrunken genitals - I think its my hormones out of whack plus body may be in protective mode. My penis and scrotum has been in shrinkage mode for the last year. It seems heat helps a lot. I've read that low testosterone and slightly high estrogen (which I have) may be a cause of this. This has been really depressing as I am too shy now because of this. I was never well endowed but I was slightly above average and it just seems now I am slightly below or just at average. Also like I said above, my balls do not hang like they used to.

Low libido/erectile dysfunction - probably attributed to low testosterone. I used to have great sex drive. Could get horny at the drop of a hat. It literally changed overnight. At first outbreak of symptoms, I could not get an erection but when I could it would not last. Also I had lost feeling in my erections. The antibiotics have restored me somewhat normally but still not back to 100%. Before all of this I could masturbate three times a day for an hour at a time no problem. Throughout the past year it has been heck. I was trying to decide whether doing it a lot would help facilitate healing or abstaining would help more (since I was doing it a lot before my onset of this sickness). I have decided that I am just letting it come naturally and I am back on track for the most part. Masturbating about once every other day sometimes a few days in a row. Ever since starting my latest round of antibiotics I seem to be lasting more too and have regained some feeling in my erections too.

Weird ejaculate - In the beginning, it started to become yellow and chunky and smelled really bad thats when I discovered I had prostatitis. It also just would dribble out. It was still yellow but then it became really runny and watery. Half the time it would hurt or sting when it would come out. One time there were little jelly globs that came out. My best results came when I take antibiotics and masturbate regularly (everyday or every other day). It went back to white or milky white and consistency is trying to get back to normal. Sometimes it is still runny or yellow but it is improving and the amount is getting better as well. Also it actually feels good again to do it. So there is some hope there.

Low energy - Probably due to lack of testosterone. My energy is just not up to par. I used to could lift weights, go to work, run a couple miles, then play either basketball or golf in one day. Then overnight, I just couldn't hardly get out of bed. Couldn't run as long as I used to. (now I am just out of shape). I was getting tired more easily in my tennis matches. I still have this but hopefully it will get better in time.

Low testosterone - Like I have said before. I have had three blood works done to check this. It has been low every time. (190, 295, 305) in that order. I am only 23 years old so this is not normal. And I do want to say that this may not be linked directly to the prostatitis. But both my doctor and I agree that the plan moving forward is to treat the prostatitis then worry about the testosterone. I am however looking into different herbs or supplements (zinc, querctin, anti-estrogen) to naturally combat this as I am not going to do T replacement.

Overall malaise - This was more prevalent to when I first started getting symptoms. But I felt terrible. Did not want to leave the house, no appetite, pale. Once I started to get the appropriate antibiotics this has gotten better.

Also DO NOT GET STRESSED OUT. I had a whole other set of symptoms (nausea, diarrhea, constipation, anxiety, heartburn, stomach pain) to the point I thought I was having a gallbladder attack no joke. But in hindsight it was just the stress that was doing it.

Last point, do get checked for all the major STDs. This was extremely stressful for me, even though the chance I had gotten one was small, I had convinced myself thats what it was. Once that was over and the results came back I felt a huge weight off my shoulders. But this should also be done alongside my guiding principles above.

Another side note: right before all of this started I had gotten an abdominal muscle injury. Was originally diagnosed with an umbilical hernia. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this connection of problems before but I thought it was more than a coincidence. Anyways I am going to try to get massage work done on this to see if it helps. The original doctor I went to pushed on my stomach next to my belly button and I felt a pop and then a week later my prostatitis appeared. I don't think its directly connected because then why would I have bacteria in my samples? But this could have caused an unbalance in my pelvic abdominal muscle region which could be making it worse. Just my two cents.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 am

If anyone is inspired by this and tries it please let me know. I would like some feedback. My doc said a guy with a csa similar to mine was cured after 3 straight months of amoxicillin. Just wondering the longest it has taken anyone to cure this? I am about to hit the one month mark of amoxicillin and am going to continue this for up to 6 months if I have to. I saw in another forum this guy was cured after 7 months of bactrim. Also this doctor I know said he had to take 5 months of bactrim to cure his.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:14 pm

sounds like antibiotic abuse

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:34 am

My opinion is that some prostate infections are bacterial, but that if antibiotics don't clear it up, or at least vastly improve things, within three months, then what you have isn't of a bacterial nature. In addition, I believe - based on research and cure numbers - that injections are largely useless and cause more harm than good. Some people say you need long term antibiotics, but the reality is that the problem more than likely burns out over that period anyway.

It saddens me that some people are on a perpetual quest for the antibiotic that will cure them, when in reality this doesn't exist and they'd be better trying other things to see if they work or wait for it to burn out - as it seems to do over months or a few years - in most cases.

From my own experience, had I believed that I had a mysterious bacterial infection, and hadn't considered a physical abnormality, I would have been suffering since 2006 instead of having 6 good years between 2008 and 2014.

Just my opinion.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:07 pm

tennisNgolf33 wrote:
If anyone is inspired by this and tries it please let me know. I would like some feedback. My doc said a guy with a csa similar to mine was cured after 3 straight months of amoxicillin. Just wondering the longest it has taken anyone to cure this? I am about to hit the one month mark of amoxicillin and am going to continue this for up to 6 months if I have to. I saw in another forum this guy was cured after 7 months of bactrim. Also this doctor I know said he had to take 5 months of bactrim to cure his.

there is no way that can be safe, being on an antibiotic for so long.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:22 pm

tennisNgolf33 wrote:
I'm currently looking into zinc and querctin supplements. If anyone knows more about these let me know.

I tried these (querctin and zinc) did nothing for my prostate, but it did give me stomach, gas pains and heartburn.

Men's 1 a day vitamin, pretty much covers all our vitamin needs.

Tried saw Palmmeto. Did nothing for me.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:12 pm

eliteplague wrote:
tennisNgolf33 wrote:

Yes,it is safe. I was on Bactrim the better part of a year my first bout. There is nothing unusual about 3 months.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 pm

bill_johnstl wrote:
tennisNgolf33 wrote:
I'm currently looking into zinc and querctin supplements. If anyone knows more about these let me know.

I tried these (querctin and zinc) did nothing for my prostate, but it did give me stomach, gas pains and heartburn.

Men's 1 a day vitamin, pretty much covers all our vitamin needs.

Tried saw Palmmeto. Did nothing for me.

Quercetin helped me more than anything, along with Bromelain. Saw Palmetto just made me sick, but many take it and say it helps.
You will only know by trying them.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:23 pm

The benefits outweigh the risks. I am on a probiotic too. Others have told me that little girls and teenagers take antibiotics for years for UTIs that won't go away and for acne. Everyone who is bashing antibiotics needs to go through my step by step process it will change your outlook if done right I promise. Antibiotics plus the heating pad are really doig wonders for me right now...

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:45 am

ThePatrician wrote:
In addition, I believe - based on research and cure numbers - that injections are largely useless and cause more harm than good. Some people say you need long term antibiotics, but the reality is that the problem more than likely burns out over that period anyway.

I thank GOD that I did not listen to people like this, and am now CURED after battling this disease for 2 years. Injections cured my bacterial prostatitis.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 am

Im not knocking antibiotics, because they work for a lot of people.

However, if you've been on them for a number of months with little improvement then you should probably be looking at other causes. Focusing on one thing only isn't the best way to approach a condition that has many causes and symptoms.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:56 am

ThePatrician wrote:
Im not knocking antibiotics, because they work for a lot of people.

However, if you've been on them for a number of months with little improvement then you should probably be looking at other causes. Focusing on one thing only isn't the best way to approach a condition that has many causes and symptoms.

All true. We need to remember that although many of us have similar symptoms, the cause might be completely different. This is why making general statements that this or that doesn't work isn't the best idea. I've said numerous times that Quercetin and Bromelain helped me more than anything else tried, but others have said they did nothing, and I'm sure that's true. So focusing on one possible cause, or cure, is always a mistake. This is a complicated problem, and expecting a quick cure will usually leave people disappointed and depressed.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Agree with Madcap and Patrician. There is no issue with my prostate yet I carry the diagnosis of prostatitis on paper. My condition belongs in the vague CPPS group which has no known effective treatment so I'd be very reluctant to let somebody inject a cocktail of drugs directly into an organ such as my prostate.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 pm

I also was on bactrim for about 9-10 months. It didn't cure me but did cut down my symptoms for a while. Had some side effects foggy brain and some gut issues. Not as bad as leviquine which i was only on for 6 days and am still messed up by taking it, tendon issues!!
If you are taking anything for a long time my advice is do a prostate massage other wise you are wasting your time and health. That's the mistake I and others have made by not doing it to express the congested bacteria trapped in your prostate.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Some of you are missing the point. If you do the proper cultures and then find the antibiotic then it simplifies the problem. If no bacteria is found then it is either really dug in or there is none at all. Then that's when it gets complicated. The depressing part about all of this is the length of time it takes to even diagnose this evil problem.

After being on bactrim for 9 months were you tested? And also was a bacteria cultured and if so was it susceptible to bactrim? These are the things that prolong the problem. And for everyone out there saying it's nonbacterial, have you had cultures done of semen (by masterbation or by expressed fluid)?

The unknown I am facing right now is why my testosterone is low. I think it's because of this infection but who knows for sure. Also my left testicle is inflammed too. Don't know whether it's epidydymitis or varicocele. Also it could be seminal vesiculitis or the vas deferens. There is a lot of unknowns in this disorder but I hope this simplifies things for everyone and makes you less depressed.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:45 am

Vast majority of "Prostatitis" cases don't involve an inflamed prostate and/or sensitive prostate hence the class IIIb diagnosis of chronic non-bacterial. So unless it's inflamed and sensitive you in all likelihood are wasting your time on antibiotics.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:22 pm

tennisNgolf33 wrote:
Some of you are missing the point. If you do the proper cultures and then find the antibiotic then it simplifies the problem. If no bacteria is found then it is either really dug in or there is none at all. Then that's when it gets complicated. The depressing part about all of this is the length of time it takes to even diagnose this evil problem.

After being on bactrim for 9 months were you tested? And also was a bacteria cultured and if so was it susceptible to bactrim? These are the things that prolong the problem. And for everyone out there saying it's nonbacterial, have you had cultures done of semen (by masterbation or by expressed fluid)?

Not trying to be argumentative here, but no one is missing the point. There is no definitive treatment or cause for prostatitis, and none in sight. It's no different than many other conditions, you do what works, not what you can explain.
I stayed on Bactrim because it reduced my symptoms at that time more than anything else I had tried.

There are countless posts and threads here from people who spent money and time getting cultures, and at the end of the day they were no closer to finding a cure than when they started.

I have been dealing with this condition off and on since 2006. My advice to everyone is the same, more or less, do what makes you feel better. There is no wrong or right way to approach it if it's working.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:21 pm

I hear you all. And I will ask again. Have any of you had a semen culture or an expressed fluid culture? If you have and nothing grew then we shouldn't be arguing. But don't come on here and depress everybody with all of this nonsense. I'm not saying my is definitive for everyone but it does simplify a diagnosis for a lot of people.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:05 am

tennisNgolf33 wrote:
I hear you all. And I will ask again. Have any of you had a semen culture or an expressed fluid culture? If you have and nothing grew then we shouldn't be arguing. But don't come on here and depress everybody with all of this nonsense. I'm not saying my is definitive for everyone but it does simplify a diagnosis for a lot of people.

I have a better idea. Try using the search function. Try reading the board, instead of just looking for a new post. No one is depressing people. It's called a discussion. Your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but calling the rest of the boards opinions "nonsense", well, that's the only nonsensical statement in this thread.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:01 am

Nonsense?

Look, feel free to build your own confidence up, but spare us the expertise line, because most of us have had all the tests and worked our way through various treatments.

So, if this works for you, then great. I hope it does. Don't assume that we haven't been through this rigmarole and found other things work better though.

Generally Prostatitis burns out over a few months to a few years, and may be episodic while I does so. A lot of people claim the thing that worked last MUST be the cure for everyone. It isn't.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:06 am

tennisNgolf33 wrote:

Appreciate you experiences. Curious why your doctor put you on Amoxicillin. I thought the Fluoroquinolones, and bacterium/septra had the best penetrating effectiveness into the prostate if taken orally. Will Amoxicillin also penetrate the prostate?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Madcap wrote:
eliteplague wrote:
tennisNgolf33 wrote:

Yes,it is safe. I was on Bactrim the better part of a year my first bout. There is nothing unusual about 3 months.

Yes Madcap, that is what I have come across also, at least with certain antibiotics. Long term use of an antibiotic for bacterial prostatits is pretty common. I just went through 4 weeks of Bactrim, which failed after 8 days, followed by another 6 weeks of Bactrim. I am on my 8th day and am concerned it is coming back on me symptom wise. Based on the original op post I would like my doctor to insure that the prostate is clear of bacteria through another culture before stopping the antibiotic.

What intrigued me was I didn't realize that amoxicillin was used for bacterial prostatitis, since I was led to the opinion that it doesn't penetrate the prostate well.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next