Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Anti-Deppresant for Prostatitis 

Post Anti-Deppresant for Prostatitis
I've had prostatitis for almost a year and been to several docs, urologists, and even accupunture.
The doctors gave me the standard antibiotics & alpha blockers and nothing has worked.

The last uro prescribed Elavil, an anti-depressant. He said there was nothing majorly wrong with me and this was not because he thought I was depressed but to stop the pain cycle. Basically, his theory was that whatever was wrong is healed but my mind keeps staying attached to the pain.

Never having taken anti-depressants before, I have not filled the prescription.

However, I'm starting to think his theory has merit. I'm not sure if anti-depressants are the way I want to go, but I'm thinking about it as prostatitis has really screwed up my life. Has anyone taken Elavil for prostatitis?

I'm also continually reading about TMS and it's relation to prostatitis. This could well be the link that is causing my pain. If so, the Elavil might work- but I'm worried about messing with my brain chemistry, and wondering if Dr. Sarno's TMS theory can save me first.

Feedback would be great!

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Post Re: Anti-Deppresant for Prostatitis
Hi,sorry to hear about all your frustration with prostatitis.I have been on several medications as well and nothing worked for me either.Since there is as of yet any real soulution to the problem of prostatitis the doctors prescribe anti depressants to keep you calm so as you don't concentrate on your pain.

I don't know of Dr Samo's TMS Theory and have never been on Elavin but i do know this i for one don't like putting lots of medicine in my body as that many times can cause more problems with the side effects.When you have a problem and there is no real treatment it's anti depressants that are given as unfortunately that the best answer to the problem.I am a believer of getting to the route cause and then a drug to combat the problem.

One thing i know i know i have pain and suffer with it daily and had been told by a shrink that if i stop being depressed i will stop having pain.Nothing more needs to be said you make your own conclusions.Too bad not all that are quick to tell you what you feel don't always have a prostate themselves and can actually feel what you feel.

Good luck.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:14 pm

I've been taking Nortriptyline for over a month. I haven't noticed any mood swings. Many anti-depressants actually work as pain relief so I'd give it a try.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 am

I'd try it. Many of the older anti-depressants were all pain docs had besides opiates. I'm on desipramine and I thought I was cured but it has greatly reduced the discomfort. I believe in no sex equals no pain.

I get so mad reading about all you guys suffering the same illness and not one doctor can help!

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Sometimes the doctors are just as frustrated as the patient. Women's causes are all over the television, the radio, the Internet, and magazines. Why? Because women talk about (complain!) about their personal problems. Let two or three men get together and one of them bring up prostate problems and everyone clams up tight.

Women are at the doctors office so much it is like they are visiting family. Most men are nearly dead before they wander to the doctors office with 'personal' problems and symptoms. Of course that is why women also complain they don't get heart attack problems noticed like men do because when a man goes to the ER, everyone in the ER knows he is in trouble while many times women are in the office and or the ER so often that their severe issues are ignored because they are there all the time.

How long did many of you wait to have your prostate issue examined before it finally got too painful to ignore any further? Remember the old saying, 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease.' Raise the issue louder and talk to your male friends and remind them... it could be YOU next time.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]