Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Doxycycline, any one ever take it? 

Post Doxycycline, any one ever take it?
I have been dealing with chronic bacterial prostatitis for almost 2 years now.

So, I just went to a urologist visit this weekend to get checked up on my "progress". The doctor could already see white blood cells in my urine, from the urine test, which he then told me already gave him the hint that I still have still a bacteria infection of the prostate. In other words, he already knew from seeing the high white blood cell count in urine that a semen culture taste would also show traces of bacteria, which they did again.

He has now switched me from 500mg of Cipro to 100mg of Doxycycline (Vibra-Tabs). I just got the bottle filled but I'm a bit afraid of starting this Doxycycline because I have read so many horror stories online about people getting bad reactions from Doxy. I even had a cousin of mine a few years ago who took Doxy for some eczema skin issue, it cleared up her skin but one night she had a really bad reaction and was rushed to the ER.

I know it's a pretty hardcore antibiotic and it's used to treat malaria. But then Cipro is used to treat anthrax and I never had any bad reaction from Cipro, just the occasional dizzy spell that you get from all these catch-all antibiotics.

Has anybody here had any experience with Doxycycline? What were your experiences? Any bad nausea, stomach issues, or swollen reactions?

Thanks guys. Cheers!

Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Post Re: Doxycycline, any one ever take it?
Hi,like all medicines there are always side effects and some worse then ever and like anything in life no two people are going to have exactally the same experiences.I once had been on Doxycycline 100mg for 10 days with bacteria showing in my urine and had no side effects what so ever.I have also been on like half a dozen times in the past 4 years on 500mg of Cipro and except for some dizzness no other side effects.

Hope you feel better,

Gary :)

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks for your response. So far, it's going well, no major side reactions from the Doxy. Thanks again.

Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Doxy is actually quite mild compared to Cipro. It's a different class of antibiotics. I've been on it a few times, no issues.

As with ALL antibiotics your should limit your Sun exposure as much as you can... Another words, don't go sunbathing...LOL...
But also, if you are on antibiotics don't take antihistimines for any lenght of time, that combo has causes skin issues.

As with all these type of medicines, water and lots of it is a key part of the treatment while you are on them.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]