Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bacterial Prostatitis seems cured 

Post Bacterial Prostatitis seems cured
I stumbled across this forum today and remembered I used to read it pretty often in past years. Hope I'm not tempting fate by posting here but I'll take the chance.

I'm 55 and had chronic bacterial prostatitis from about age 35 to a few years ago. It would cycle from moderate to acute and then finally I'd rush to the Urologist for antibiotics when I was on the verge of not being able to urinate. Then it would calm down for awhile and then began the process of reinfecting in 3 months or so.

The first antibiotic was Doxycyclene and then Bactrim was the drug of choice for quite a few years. After eventually getting a reaction to Bactrim (slight pain under my tongue), I used Cipro for the subsequent cases.

One of the last times I used Cipro (for 3 weeks) it was combined with Terazosin which I was instructed to take every other day for 1 year. According to the Urologist this was to dilate the prostate and allow my immune system better access to it + to help drain any urine and prevent reinfection. This was actually a pretty good idea and it helped calm down a severely infected and enlarged prostate. But I still ended up getting reinfected and having to have another course of Cipro. I never had a problem with Cipro but I don't think I'd want to take it again – the stuff I'm reading about it is too scary.

Right after the last course which was (2) years ago, I began using d-Mannose powder which is a natural supplement you can get online or in any vitamin store. It supposedly works for e coli (which 90% of these infections generally are), and also is supposed to be for urinary tract infections. I don't know how or why it works in the prostate, but for me it definitely does.

Later, I also started taking Garlic supplements. Important I think is that its not “aged” and that it is enteric coated (the Allicin in non-enteric coated doesn't survive the stomach acid).

The d-Mannose powder was 3 teaspoons / day (in water or juice) for a month and then ¾ teaspoon / day for the rest of my life.

I take the Garlic supplement 3x day and its no problem. I probably can go down to 2x day but I haven't done it yet. Garlic is said to help with circulation and have some antibiotic and antifungal properties. I will say that I felt pretty darn good on just the d-Mannose but didn't feel like I totally nailed it until I began using the Garlic too.

We certainly don't know what the future is and tomorrow could be anything, but with these supplements I feel that I now have 0 prostatitis issues. There is no pain, no aching, no issues with urine flow...nothing and now its been 2 years.

I'm telling you guys about the (2) things for me that have worked. I won't bother you with the (30) things that didn't work, but getting this right was really like trying to find a needle in haystack. So I hope this may be of some help to others & best of luck to you.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:00 pm

Post Re: Bacterial Prostatitis seems cured
First of all, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I think many people resolve their problems and forget to come back and give us suffering ones some hope. This is actually my first post, I have had prostatitis for about 6 months. I have spent countless hours reading this forum and others, seeking relief from this terrible disease. This is the first time I've read about d-Mannose and I will give it a try. I have had bad luck with finding a doctor that will try to dig deep to find the root problem. They all just seem to want to throw antibiotics at me and push me out the door. I have a new appointment with a new doctor at a nearby University research campus. Hopefully he will be more open minded.

Please don't forget us and continue to post your progress, I'm very happy for you that you are feeling better. Godspeed my friend.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:56 am

Good luck.

Key to my experience is:

- d-mannose and garlic seem to have got this under control, but they wouldn't have worked from the acute stage. I did need a 3 week course of antibiotics at that time.

- the antibiotics were way more effective when taken with 5 mg Terazosin. Terazosin helps the anitibiotics and the immune system get to the prostate + it helps prevent re-infection while all this is going on. IMO, if someone is being treated for a persistent bacterial prostatitis and they are not getting Terazosin concurrently, then that could be a real screw-up! Also, it can take a long time for an infected prostate to settle down - in my case Terazosin was continued for 1 year (every other day) and it needed that much time.

- the d-mannose and garlic are great to start now, but I don't think they would have been able to manage mine unless I had the 1 year course of Terazosin first or concurrently. It feels like once the problem was gotten under control, then they have been able to prevent it from getting a foothold again....and thus a "cure" for all practical purposes.

Anyways, garlic is a special case of its own. Read the NIH Complementary Medicine, WebMD, and other decent sources about high garlic consumption. 50% reduction in prostate cancer (China study), big reduction in many other cancers, halt and reverse artherosclerosis, help w/ sexual function. One good thing after another...so nothing bad there.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:51 pm

I found that the way it can return back is tricky, so be aware. If you are lactose intolerant and you may well be without even knowing. Then your body will fight lactic acid with overproduction of oxalic acid. Oxalic acid in its turn crystallises easily creating very harp substances that when urinating cause damage and infection to urinary tract and can get deposited in the prostate as well causing reinfection.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Interesting

doxycycline is used in cases of STD, namely chlamydia and gonorrhoea, not prostatitis.

Bactrim or Septra is used for UTI like ecoli

d-mannose is a natural fruit sugar powder said to prevent bacterial growth in the urinary system...no tests prove it works, similar to cranberry juice

Did you ever test positive for UTI?

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]