Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My Prostatitis Diary - Now cured 

Post Re: My Prostatitis Diary - Ongoing
@UKSufferer, you mentioned you're on Valium, a benzo, which can be very addicting and you can become depended it on it. I want to try valium for sleep too, but I'm afraid of becoming too reliable on the drug. How long have you been on it?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:29 pm

I was on it for around six weeks. As much as I think it helped to a certain degree, personally I don't think I could ever cone addicted to it. Sleep is great, although feeling slightly drowsy all the time isn't. Think I was on 2mg, 3 times a day to start. Then I started just having 2mg around 2 hours before bed.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:02 am

Hi all, I just wanted to let everyone know what finally sorted me out. I have posted updates on David88's sticky thread but I still continue to see posts from people asking for help with symptoms similar to what I had.
I am going to be blunt, urologists a lot of the time are not going to help you out and you will be lucky if you find a pelvic floor therapist which will do anymore than prescribe kegel exercises.

Started of with just IBS and back pain, progressed into what is classed as Prostatitis. Frequency, spasms, hesitancy, pain, low libido, and even premature ejaculation. Tried loads of meds and supplements nothing cured me. Then I posted a picture of my back and straight away David88 pointed a few things out.

Check out my posture on the first picture, textbook anterior pelvic tilt. Weak glutes and core. Tight hip flexors, piriformis and back. I have progressed more since I made that image, however also put on a little weight so I wanted to loose some before adding to the transformation line. Ideally I want my six pack showing, it will be a way of seeing my hard work as well as feeling better (might sound strange I know)

I am going to do a blog at some point, with a full workout. It will start with a home workout and progress to a gym one. Heres a few things to get you started.

Hip Thrusts 3 x 10 - I do these on the edge of the sofa, make sure when you are doing them to imagine you are trying to hold a coin in between your butt cheeks (YouTube it)

Plank 3 x 15-20 seconds - People usually hold planks for up to 60 seconds, less can actually be more. When you do the planks make sure you squeeze your glutes - (holding that coin) and do really deep breaths into you belly. The deep breaths into your belly will make your abs ache like crazy; it will feel really intense.

3 x 30 seconds Standard hip flexor stretch - Make sure you kneel tall, keeping your back straight and engaging your glutes.

Purchasing a tennis ball search for piriformis release on youtube.

Foam roll your quads/hip flexors/itb bands/

Go to a sports massager who get your back massaged

Hope this helps someone.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Would be good to see an exercise routine and brief explanation of what's going on when you get chance as it sounds interesting a d similar to me.

You have already given some great info and it adds up. So I'm going to change things up a little now and see what happens in a few weeks thanks for the advice it is a great help

Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:07 am

I know this thread has been an encouragement to me. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I've started with the core strengthening exercises and will be seeing a chiropractic this week. There are no pelvic PT folks anywhere near me, so it's not an option it seems. All of your symptoms UK are what I have now and it really helps to know you are beating thus and getting on with life.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:26 am

Hi,

Thought I would pop by and provide a few more exercises that I believe supersede some of the ones I was originally doing.

Hip Flexor Stretch
http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... eEJQjx_NVg
I think this is the best hip flexor stretch going, made a lot of progress in a real short space of time.

Abductor Exercises
http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... UcFhd5ZsSU
This exercise helps stabilise your pelvis, I neglected my abductors until recently and regret it. Do this in addition to the hip thrust exercise. If your abductors are weak and adductors are tight you will definitely have pelvic floor issues.

In addition to the plank exercise, add an oblique exercise in there. My favourite is the oblique penguins. Also foam roll your adductors, it takes a while to get the technique right but its definitely worth it, follow that up with the adductor frog stretch.

Stretch twice a day
Foam roll once a day
Perform the glute/abductor exercises every two days and the core exercises once a day.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Incredible to read this diary!
You have been through exactly what I went through 8 years ago.
My problems started with bacterial prostatitis, wrongly diagnosed. Antibiotics which were not powerful or sustained enough to destroy the infection. Stress and sleep deprivation leading to depression and weight loss, 20 lbs. Spasms causing pelvic muscular tension, so that even when the infection did die down symptoms remained due to inflammation. Finally a correct diagnosis and in my case, powerful course of antibiotics and liberal use of Ibuprofen. I self diagnosed eventually and a second doctor agreed and finally it all began to add up.
Your photos could be me stood there. I have a strong spinal curvature like that and still do. It improved due to the regular exercise, massage and attentions of a chiropractor I received shortly after the Prostatitis ebbed away.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:23 pm

Just a quick post to say I have noticed similar things I have been trying lots of things and ruling them out as I go along and have found things that work for me and a bit part of it has been my hips I do stretching, strengthening and soft tissue work but thought I would share my routine below just to compare and discuss see what works and if there's a theme, I have started to use resistance bands in my training and found them really good tools to strengthen with.

Glutes

Lower Back

Core

Obliques

Abductors

Adductors

Hip Flexors

Edit: tried to fix the image tags as the pictures were not displaying 19/06/15

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 pm

sexy women ;)

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:00 pm

From my google image search research it appears more women use resistance bands than men haha I now need to do this with a control group and publish my findings :lol:

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:59 pm

I also haven't had back pain now in 3 months. Previously suffered from back from the age of the age of 19 (11 years ago). I also own a set of resistance bands, their nice and cheap and more than enough for strenghening. I use the bands whilst squatting too, to ensure my adductors are working hard.

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:14 am

Just thought I would post my thoughts at the moment my intention is not to derail your thread im hoping we can encourage more people to share information so hope you don't mind :)

Back on track my thoughts have mainly been about different work outs and the best way to strengthen with that in mind building muscle is the main goal as it stands I have been using the same work out and repeating over several days, but after thinking or more effective ways to do this im going to try training the same muscles two times a week giving them at least 2 days rest in between the reason is that apparently the muscle is still being stimulated and in a recovery phase for up to 72 hours so the theory is to achieve maximum muscle growth using this technique.

To do this im going to try using two different day cycles Day 1 incorporating Mondays and Thursdays and Day 2 incorporating Tuesdays and Thursdays. Day 1 will be focus on Limbs and Day 2 will focus on Core and may look a little like below:

Day 1 - Romanian Dead Lift, Dead Lift, Bank Pull Aparts, Band Pull Throughs ... ... Etc.
Day 2 - Good Mornings, Bent Over Row, Upwards Chop, Pallof Press ... ... Etc.

So will building muscle in this way help to provide strength and stability and improve things further... there my thoughts just thought it may be fun to share this.

Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks for sharing Teaking, are you back to normal now is it still work in progress?

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm not 100 percent better but I feel I can get there now my back pain isn't there anymore I no longer have the constant irritation in my groin or feeling I need to urinate or that feeling which was like a weak vibration between my legs. I'm also stronger now and less tired.

The only thing that remains is mild hip pain that radiates into my groin and if I lean forwards into my back. But even that I feel confident I can fix I have a few stretches for the abductors that strech right into the groin at first it felt like something was serious broke when I did them but it's feeling more relaxed and better each week.

Gaining strength and mobility and understanding what my body needs has put me on the Road to recovery I feel empowered and I know I can get there.

From the sounds of things you have also got over things which is great to read :) and I hope your experiences and diary here help others too.

Hope to hear and update when you get chance.

Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi,

I have been concentrating on my hamstrings recently, kinda neglected them. My favourite exercises for them are the stiff deadlift and the swiss hamstring curl. If you look at my last picture you can see that I am very quad dominant.

At this point is prevention for me, I want to get my body in the best possible alignment. I will post an update pic sometime next week.

Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:36 am

Cured, wasn't easy, a year of hard work. Symptoms didn't disappear over night.

Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Yep finding the same things my self but that moment when you feel something different and you feel a bit like your old self makes you smile and you only look forwards after that.

Corrective exercises and mobility routines are what's took me insight of the finishing line.

And great news! Hope you stick around and pop by from time to time to pass your experience on to those who will listen :)

Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Hello, just bumping up my post in the hope that it might help somebody.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:46 pm

UKSufferer wrote:

Thanks for being here UKSufferer.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

UKSufferer wrote:

Hi UK sufferer, I'm also from England and have been suffering with chronic prostatitis/pelvic pain for about 4 and a half years now. I'm up at 3am looking for answers online because I'm truly fed up with this now - had this since I was 21 after an initial infection and I'm just at a loss for the most part. Unlike some I'm quite open to the pelvic tension theory but I don't know where to start in many ways. I don't really know how this forum works but I would be really grateful if we could possibly have a chat. I've sent you a friend request on here in the hope that I can private message you after you've accepted it or that it alerts you. Hopefully I'll hear back from you.

Best

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:00 pm

Just bumping up the post, I am sure it will help someone out.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:40 pm

Not sure if someone can help but any help would be appreciated. I keep coming back to this post and David88's one as i have this same arched lower back that you had previously and around a year ago i started getting a frequent urge to wee all the time. At it's worst it was debilitating as i could not go out or do anything. Anyway i found an Osteopath and explained the issue to them. They said they could try and help as it was perfectly plausible and over the year i gradually improved which was great.

Anyway last week it hit me out the blue and am back to the sudden urge to urinate all the time. It is getting a little better but still pretty bad. As soon as i go i have a massive urge to go again.

I have gone through your post again and have ordered the "Amy Stein" book. I appreciate it might be something completely different but i do believe mine is caused by tight muscles/posture etc as i have always been a little hunched over with an inverted back and visiting the osteopath has helped throughout the year.

Also i did try the exercises in your post on Friday morning, then the Friday night i had a massive flair (not sure if related). Maybe i should of carried on doing them but was worried i would get worse.

I have been through all the urologists/antibiotics/ultrasounds etc with no joy and do not want to go back to them to be honest as i found them useless.

Have also ordered Quercetin and Bromelain to try this as well but am trying to do one thing at a time.

Thanks so much for any help

Last edited by letsdothis on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Letsdothis, it seems that you have some good ideas of things to try. I hope they work for you. Keep us updated.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:20 am

Imgine you imbalance as two different sides, the back where you are experiancing lordosis is negatively charged and your front is positively charged your aiming to balance these charges to create balance.

What you may find is that your hamstrings feel very tight, if so you may find it is because your pelvis is tilted upwards at the back and pulling your hamstrings and they are not actually tight.

A good place to start would be testing your core stability start with side planks if you feel it challenging then its a good sign and slowly progress and add in RKC planks.

Another good thing to test is your glute strength you can start with a simple glute bridge and progress to single leg glute bridges and then hip thrusts.

You may find you need to work on hamstring strength and movement patterns a good place to start is simple hip hinges folding at the waist and attempting to touch the floor a slight bend in the knee and moving your hips back as you fold at the waist. Once you can easily do these then progressing to a single leg version while supporting your self with a hand on the wall or on a chair etc if you need a guide search for wall supported singlr leg RDL.

I would also test to see if you have any adductor or Quad tightness and stretch those muscles if required.

This is just some generally advice with out knowing anything about your specific problem.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks guys. I have started a new thread as did not want to hijack this. Will see how it goes. Main thing i think is staying positive which is hard especially with all the downs.

Also what i have noticed is i have been hugely stressed recently. Long relationship breakup which involves a child/work stressful etc - seems to make symptoms much worse!

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next