Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 My Prostatitis Diary - Now cured 

Post My Prostatitis Diary - Now cured
Hi everyone, I have written an account of what I have gone through so far, partially for my own benefit but also to share people who perhaps in the future go through something similar, it may help somehow.
My first symptom was a shooting sensation in the left testicle, it was not particular painful but it kind of made me shudder. I decided to leave it a week to see if the sensation disappeared, however I also started to get spasms just underneath the scrotum.
I went to the doctors and they did a urine test and I showed positive for an infection so they give me pills for a UTI.
The week went by and I was still no better and furthermore was starting to get the urge to urinate very often, feeling the need to go every hour. At night I would get up 2 or 3 times to go pee.
I went back and the doctors prescribed me with a stronger drug to combat the suspected UTI, another week went by and still no improvement.
I went back again, they did another urine test and it came back all clear, at that point the doctor told me it was in my head and to drink less water; a litre a day.
The same night I was in extreme agony following the doctors instructions to drink less water, I felt that I needed to urinate all the time and that I had been holding it in for ages even though I just went. By the end of the night my groin area felt that it was on fire and I went straight to the doctors the following morning where they decided that I should go to hospital asap; possibly with suspected kidney stones.
When I arrived they took some bloods, a urine test, the urine sample showed positive for bacteria. He also did the finger check to feel the prostate and I have never felt so much pain, he even apologised after. He said my prostate was very soft and tender and I had acute prostatitis.
He prescribed me with 1 months worth of Ciprofloxacin and Flomax and sent me on my way with no further instruction about diet etc. He also said they would follow me up in 6 weeks.
To cut a long story short, I was on the prescribed medication for in total 8 weeks with little relief in symptoms still needing to urinate very frequently, spasms and pain etc. During this time I have made several trips to my doctors, they seemed out of their depth not knowing what to do and to make matters worst around that time I got my appointment through from the hospital for June 19, around 6 weeks later than it should be.
I would also like to add that when I stopped the 8 week course of Cipro my symptoms completely went away for 1 day, I felt brilliant but then they came back. This drove me a little crazy and really depressed me, thinking that its gone and then it to return with vengeance.
I am currently 2 weeks away from my appointment and its really rough, I did try finding a hospital with a shorter waiting time however they are all really busy. Moreover they also give priority to cancer patients. The only drug I am on at the moment is flomax which doesn’t seem to stop me needing the toilet every hour, the doctor however insists I keep taking it, saying that it will work over time?
I have found several things that relieve my urine frequency slightly. Eliminating caffeine and alcohol are the obvious ones, reducing my sugar intake also helped to a certain degree. I have been taking a UK Supplement called Prostavital which includes a long list of ingredient, to help with prostate health.

Pumpkin Seed Oil (cold pressed),L-Glutamic Acid, Magnesium oxide, Glycerol, Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid), Soybean Oil, Lecithin (Unbleached), Wheat Germ Oil (cold pressed), Vitamin E (DL-alpha tocopheryl acetate), Selenium yeast, L-Alanine, Purified Water, Zinc Oxide, Saw Palmetto Standardised Extract, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCl), Stinging Nettle Root Extract, Yellow Beeswax, Natural colours: (Titanium Dioxide, Sunset Yellow, Allura Red, Brilliant Blue), Chromium Amino Acid Chelate, Cupric Sulphate, Pygeum Africanum Bark Standardized Extract, Lycopene

So I am not feeling great at the moment, 2 weeks feels like a lifetime away, im just holding on hoping when I go for the appointment that I get prescribed something and it works. I guessing its going to be Doxy?
I have also been reading about prostate massages, should I consider it this early on or should I wait and see what happens with the next set of drugs first? My thoughts are that if I can stimulate blood flow etc in the prostate when I get the next set of antibiotics they have a better chance of working?
I would like to thank contributors to this forum, although most of stories of misery I know now, I’m not alone and there is hope. So far I have been suffering since mid March 2013 -

Shane

Last edited by UKSufferer on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Post Re: My Prostatitis Diary - Ongoing
What infection did they find specifically? (name of bacteria?)

The fact that there was one is usually a good thing -- in the sense that there is an actual cause for your pain and they shuld be able to cure it. If you're experiencing a ton of urination I'm suprised they gave you flomax . That's supposed to relax the bladder but i dont think it squelches the urge so much as something like an anti-inflamatory would... Naproxen is what does it for me. I've had various types of infections throuhgout the last few years...bacterial, fungal, muscular spasm, and naproxen did seem to help for all the above. 500mg sometimes 1000mg a day. Try that if you can for now , at least its off the counter.

You could ask your doctor about Xatral...it usually relaxes the bladder...I find it helps more when going to the bathroom often and in short amounts...dribbling... but its helped me too when theres been urgency. Xatral / Naproxen I finds a good combo overall, but you would need Xatral prescription from your doctor I think (maybe not in UK? not sure)

the last few weeks to wait are usually agonizing, i hope you get more help at that point. They should do a semen test if your prostate is affected and they can't see anything from a urine test.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 am

Hi, thanks for your comments. I cant remember the name of the bacteria, I was kind of naïve at the time and uneducated about the illness. I just presume it would go as soon as I took the pills and I would not have to worry about it again, I know it definitely wasn't ecoli.
Yes I had to say, the a blockers aren't really helping in my opinion.
I have been ringing the Urologist regular to try and get a sooner appointment and I have had a little bit of luck. Im now going on Thursday the 13th, when I found out I was so happy. I don't think non sufferers realise how much of a hindrance the illness is. I feel so down at times. Will report what happens etc on Thursday.

Shane

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:49 pm

UKSufferer wrote:
Hi, thanks for your comments. I cant remember the name of the bacteria, I was kind of naïve at the time and uneducated about the illness. I just presume it would go as soon as I took the pills and I would not have to worry about it again, I know it definitely wasn't ecoli.
Yes I had to say, the a blockers aren't really helping in my opinion.
I have been ringing the Urologist regular to try and get a sooner appointment and I have had a little bit of luck. Im now going on Thursday the 13th, when I found out I was so happy. I don't think non sufferers realise how much of a hindrance the illness is. I feel so down at times. Will report what happens etc on Thursday.

Shane

it was probably enterococcous, or mycoplasma. something along those lines. keep in touch.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Went today and the doctor examined my prostate again and asked me a couple of questions. The actual examination wasn't as painful as the initial one which hurt like hell, it was just a slight dull pain. Apparently it is normal to experience some pain months after the initial flare up?

He said that he suspects there is a blockage somewhere and has booked me in for a cystoscopy and advised me to continue to take the a blockers. Now awaiting the letter through the post, hopefully the test is sooner rather than later.

Not really sure what to take from this, should I hope he is right and there is a blockage, can it be cured? The other worry is that they cant find anything wrong.

Shane

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:02 am

UKSufferer wrote:
Went today and the doctor examined my prostate again and asked me a couple of questions. The actual examination wasn't as painful as the initial one which hurt like hell, it was just a slight dull pain. Apparently it is normal to experience some pain months after the initial flare up?

He said that he suspects there is a blockage somewhere and has booked me in for a cystoscopy and advised me to continue to take the a blockers. Now awaiting the letter through the post, hopefully the test is sooner rather than later.

Not really sure what to take from this, should I hope he is right and there is a blockage, can it be cured? The other worry is that they cant find anything wrong.

Shane

Less pain is always good, and yes you want something to be found they can fix, and yes you can get better. The other side is that you have to be realistic and prepare yourself in case they find nothing wrong, and that happens more times than not.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:38 am

UKSufferer wrote:

Shane

I can't offer any opinion about the blockage, but the fact that they're sending you for a cystoscopy is a good thing. Sometimes washing out the urethra and bladder area can relieve you of some of your symptoms. It'll also confirm to you (and them) whether or not theres any physical bloackage.

In the meantime, have you tried the anti inflammatories? Try to talk to your doctor too about getting a prescription for Xatral (Afluozosin). Its supposed to relax the muscles and in my case has calmed the urgency/frequency of having to go so often.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 am

My appointment is next week (Thursday), I have also booked an initial consulation with a Ciropractor which is on Saturday.

Although it may seem rash going before I have had a cystoscopy, after reading a post by David 88, I feel having an examination will rule alignment issues out or give me more options going forward especially if the cystoscopy is negative.

I have suffered from lower back pain for years, it is more noiticable after driving or riding my bike. I also have tinnitus. I used to be into weight lifting and my dead lift technique wasnt great at times, lifting a crazy amount of weight. Moreover have taken a few falls from moutain biking over the years.

Will post tests/examination findings as I get them. My symptoms are still frequency and spasms in the prostate. I have got my work duties amended, which has helped. Being able to move about alot rather than sitting in the same position for hours cuts the frequency down.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 am

Good luck!

Don't be afraid to get more than one opinion. Also bear in mind that Spinal Manipulation only really works when combined with hardcore muscle massage which includes removing muscle scar tissue and adhesions.

Twisted Pelvises commonly occur because of weaknesses in the glute muscles (maximus, medius and minimus) and piraformis. The hip flexors then try to compensate for the weak glutes and twist the pelvis.

Getting some deep tissue work on the glutes will be beneficial. The Piraformis muscle has the pudendal nerve passing through it so you can imagine the effects when this muscle is permanently tense (haemorrhoids, fissures, bladder problems, prostate problems, general pain, erection problems, etc).

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Two of my lower discs have seized up and my muscles nearby are having to step in to compensate for this. I had a session this afternoon, this morning he did around a 45 minute examination/consultation. I had a deep tissue massage around the pelvis and some acupuncture in the lower back in addition to the usually back cracking. I am definitely going to continue, will report if it brings me any relief.

I have also asked for some more support from my doctor due to the urgency and frequency really getting me down. Lost 10lbs and feel miserable most the time. I have been prescribed an anti depressant, I will also report on how and if it changes my mood etc. Might be useful for people considering this.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Well I just had the cystoscopy and it really hurt, the doctor didn't even wait for gel to numb me. Very unpleasant experience, now it just stings and there is blood in my urine.
They didn't find anything wrong and my latest urine tests come back negative. I'm beginning to see a pattern emerging here which is similar to a lot of your own.
Waiting for an appointment for flow tests now, not holding my breath that that's going to do any good.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:37 am

Ya that the sad part with prostatitis you have to find info on your own. No uro really understand it. When they suspect prostate to be issue they should do TRUS to check vesicle and calcification.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:06 am

UKSufferer wrote:
Well I just had the cystoscopy and it really hurt, the doctor didn't even wait for gel to numb me. Very unpleasant experience, now it just stings and there is blood in my urine.
They didn't find anything wrong and my latest urine tests come back negative. I'm beginning to see a pattern emerging here which is similar to a lot of your own.
Waiting for an appointment for flow tests now, not holding my breath that that's going to do any good.

My urologist does a flow test on your first visit. It's done before you see him. It is such a simple and quick test I'm surprised you need a seperate appt to get it, but I guess things are done in a different order in the UK vs the USA.
If your flow is bad it obviously can make things worse, so its a necessary test even if it isn't the main reason for your problem.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Keep exploring the pelvic muscle angle. You have all the signs.

Read up on twisted pelvises, anterior tilt, sacroiliac joint dysfunction, bladder issues, etc.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Got an appointment for a flow test next Friday. The instructions on the letter really annoyed me, 'please come with a comfortably full bladder', my bladders not comfortable when its got 75ml in let alone full. I know what the require but wish theyd think these instructions through more.

Still feeling depressed even though I have been on anti depressants for 10 days now, however apparently they can take over 2 weeks to start working. Will keep this thread updated if they have a positive impact on my life. Also been asked to fill in a toilet diary over a 2 day period. It shows that I literately go to the toilet every 2 hours regardless of the time of day and usually urinate around just 100ml even though it feels like I am bursting.

Could do with advice on the following matter? This has been going on for nearly four months now, originally they did find bacteria in my urine. Since then the only antibiotic I have been on is Cipro. Even though my urine tests are clear now surely it should still be classed as chronic bacterial prostatsis, shouldn't I be trying a different antibiotic? Would appreciation any opinion.

Im continuing with the chiropractor sessions, it has cured a lot of my lower back pain at least.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:26 pm

UKSufferer wrote:
Got an appointment for a flow test next Friday. The instructions on the letter really annoyed me, 'please come with a comfortably full bladder', my bladders not comfortable when its got 75ml in let alone full. I know what the require but wish theyd think these instructions through more.

Still feeling depressed even though I have been on anti depressants for 10 days now, however apparently they can take over 2 weeks to start working. Will keep this thread updated if they have a positive impact on my life. Also been asked to fill in a toilet diary over a 2 day period. It shows that I literately go to the toilet every 2 hours regardless of the time of day and usually urinate around just 100ml even though it feels like I am bursting.

Could do with advice on the following matter? This has been going on for nearly four months now, originally they did find bacteria in my urine. Since then the only antibiotic I have been on is Cipro. Even though my urine tests are clear now surely it should still be classed as chronic bacterial prostatsis, shouldn't I be trying a different antibiotic? Would appreciation any opinion.

Im continuing with the chiropractor sessions, it has cured a lot of my lower back pain at least.

I would ask for Bactrim in place of Cipro, but as to a clear urine test it doesn't really tell you anything. If you want a different antibiotic just tell the Dr Cipro is making you sick and you need something else. Bactrim was a better choice for me but there are others you could try.

The downside to the flow test is you need a fairly full bladder, and that's uncomfortable but no way to get around it, and it is a necessary test.

If the chiropractor is helping your back pains keep going.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks for your advice. Currently got most my symptoms under control except the frequency. Weird thing is that if I drink more I have to urinate less. Presume its got to do with the concentration of the urine etc.

The anti depressants are starting to kick in I think, not been feeling as down. I think I would recommend them to other sufferers if you have been dealing with this long term.

Also check out The International Prostate Symptom Score Sheet, might be interesting to see where you fit in.

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... m_IPSS.pdf

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Had my flow test today. Typical English NHS, they do the tests and then tell me that I will get a letter through with an appointment from my urologist to discuss the results. They nurse wouldn't tell me what the results were. From looking at the receipt the machine printed out, I was pretty low on the flow graph all the way from stop to start. Moreover, five minutes after the scan I had the urge to urinate again, so results should be interesting.

I have also started going to Pilates and Yoga classes, had the my first sessions this week. Im also doing a couple of cardio classes, one this weekend. Seeing if this helps at all.

Furthermore I have been taking Quercetin, it seems to have helped prevent spasms which is good, just urgency remains.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:06 pm

If you can do the pelvic floor work in Pilates with no reactions, that is a very encouraging sign!

Keep at it. Strong Glutes = Healthy Spine

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Update:

Decided to go private due to the lengthy waits to see the Urologist on the NHS. Just to put this into perspective, my first follow up appointment on the NHS; I had to wait 12 weeks. Going privately I could see the same guy in 3 days! Moreover rather than the 5-10 minute examination the NHS gave me before sending me on my way not explaining anything to me and hardly asking me any question. The time today was available to get a full overview/examination etc.

Today, when he pressed on a certain area on my lower belly, it gave me a slight pain in my lower back, going for a scan to rule out stones next week. My prostate is still tender/inflamed, I have been given naproxen and alfuzosin to try and calm down the inflammation etc. When asking about the other possibly routes if its not stones, he suggested botox in the prostate but obviously all other avenues must be explored first.

Also when I presented my urine diary, although Im urinating very frequently; it isn't a lot. For the amount im drinking I should be urinating a lot more. Hopefully I will have some good news in the next week or so. Thank you all for your continued support and input.

I am also still doing pilates, yoga, more cardio, seeing a chiro and taking quertin.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 am

Why botox? Is there any research on this?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:06 am

UKSufferer wrote:
Update:

Decided to go private due to the lengthy waits to see the Urologist on the NHS. Just to put this into perspective, my first follow up appointment on the NHS; I had to wait 12 weeks. Going privately I could see the same guy in 3 days! Moreover rather than the 5-10 minute examination the NHS gave me before sending me on my way not explaining anything to me and hardly asking me any question. The time today was available to get a full overview/examination etc.

Today, when he pressed on a certain area on my lower belly, it gave me a slight pain in my lower back, going for a scan to rule out stones next week. My prostate is still tender/inflamed, I have been given naproxen and alfuzosin to try and calm down the inflammation etc. When asking about the other possibly routes if its not stones, he suggested botox in the prostate but obviously all other avenues must be explored first.

Also when I presented my urine diary, although Im urinating very frequently; it isn't a lot. For the amount im drinking I should be urinating a lot more. Hopefully I will have some good news in the next week or so. Thank you all for your continued support and input.

I am also still doing pilates, yoga, more cardio, seeing a chiro and taking quertin.

Good decision to go private. I'm in the USA so not all that familiar with how NHS works but I have a couple of friends in the UK and I know the wait times can be long. I can't imagine having to wait months for an appt. If I call my primary care Dr in the mornng I can get in that day, my Urologist usually gets me in within 72 hours.

What percentage are you urinating compared to what you are drinking?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:37 am

The urologist actually has my chart now so I cant give an accurate figure but I drink over 2 litres of fluid a day and urinate between 50ml-200ml about 10 times a day so quite a bit under.

Got the CT scan on Wednesday, costing me a lot of money but it will be worth it if they find something.

I have never heard of injecting botox into the prostate either, going to do a bit of reading up on it. Will probably ask to try a different antibiotic first, since ive only tried Cipro so far.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:21 pm

CT scan came back clear.

My symptoms almost disappeared completely for the first time since it started back in April, yesterday. Also been able to sleep 5-6 hours straight before having to go to the toilet, however I do find after the initial wake up I have to go frequently again. So hopefully im recovering.

Im currently in overkill mode: Chiropractor, sports massages, Pilates, yoga, circuit training, quertin, cranberry capsules, saw palmetto, alpha blockers, anti depressants, broccoli treatment, external massage and internal massage.
Got another appointment with the urologist next week but to be honest for the first time I am not really expecting much, I cant see him being much more use to me.

Thanks,

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:39 am

Info on botox for BPH at this link:

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... 729-1.html

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next