Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Anxiety and Prostatitis 

Post Anxiety and Prostatitis
I was first diagnosed with prostatitis at the age of 19 and have lived with it for 31 years now. Sometimes years would go by without symptoms, and sometimes the pain would have me eyeing tall buildings and bridges. Treatment was usually antibiotics with seemingly random degrees of success. The pain tended to get worse at bedtime, and as i have never had a consistent sleep cycle, I was always puzzled as to how my prostate knew when it was time to sleep.
Now I am reading about a possible relationship between CP and anxiety and it seems to make perfect sense in my case. I have suffered from anxiety issues since puberty. In fact, anxiety and CP have been two of the main driving forces in my life, and they haven't been driving me anywhere good i can assure you.
Anyway, I'm eager for any thoughts or advice in this area. Thanks

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:11 am

Post Re: Anxiety and Prostatitis
I've always had some level of anxiety . I have had some anxiety attacks in the past and pretty much kept it under control. Since I started getting the symptoms of ptostatitis my anxiety has been insane. I do think it feeds into it. I think I'm going to have to get a prescription to help deal with this. Just the thought of not knowing if I can be fixed brings on extreme anxiety. My doctor gave antibiotics and said see you in a month ? My anxiety went up ten fold and the symptoms got worse.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:22 am

I have talked to some nurses from the urology departments and they see anxiety in these patients quite often. Why wouldn't you be nervous with the typical symptoms these patients have.

I think prostatitis is like asthma: If you are not nervous before you get it; it is highly likely you will be nervous after you get it. They are both pretty scary.

I know one doctor who prescribed valium for flare-ups along with antibiotics; and felt it was very important. It worked to turn things around usually.

There may be better medicines now than there were back then.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Stress is one of the leading causes of relapses along with the return to bad habits once all the pain is gone.

You need to elimiate the stress, take Vitamin B supplements, but make sure that they don't contain Vitamin C, this can aggrevate the Urethra.

NO Caffeine, it's a diuretic and will put pressure on prostate, the last thing that you need. Any Doctor / Urologist will tell you to avoid Caffeine, Hot Spicy foods, Red Wine for this. The trouble is once we go through an episode an feel better our old habits kick back in..

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:15 am

I was diagnosed having Prostatitus approximately 6 months ago. Ever since I have been battling discomfort in the lower abdomen on a daily basis.
My whole body feels heavy and I have had this tired feeling every day.
Would anyone please tell me wheher this can be related in having Prostatitus. I am feeling depressed.

A year ago my urologist informed me that I have cancer of the bladder
After having 6 treatments- the cancer is gone.

I am having Cystoscopy in November of this year. to ensure the cancer has not returned

Thank anyone for any advice to my problem

Richard

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Reply to surrey 117:
Your symptoms will sound familiar to many patients.
Do you sometimes have a split stream? Lots of pain? Voiding problems? Have you had cultures done?
When your doctor does the cysto he might shed additional information about signs of prostatitis.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Thank you for your message.

I do not have pain when passing water- nor a split stream. I pass water much too often-sometimes 3 times in the middle of the night. That of course hampers my sleep.
I do have Prostatitus and the discomfort is playing havoc on my nervous system and creating a tired feeling throughout the day and evening.
I suppose there is NOTHING that anyone can do to alleviate the problem, however
any recommendation to help with my problem will be greatly appreciated.

Riichard

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Anxiety and prostatitis go together. Doctor Wise and Anderson have made a study of that and written a book that makes a lot of sense. You can read about the book and their work on www.prostatitis.org. Dr Anderson is at Stanford

Anyone with bladder cancer should follow the work of Doctor Atala who has been doing research on cloning bladder cells.
Bladder cancer is a cancer that has a tendency to return I have read

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]