Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Anyone have much experience with Vallium? 

Post Anyone have much experience with Vallium?
Gonna go to the doctor and ask for some. The logic is this. I have heard others say they have gotten success with it. But all the medications I have taken so far has given me minimum to 0 relief, especially in the moment when Im having a bad flare up. Although antibiotics might have taken the edge of symptoms day to day, I am not confident in that assertion. But anyways, I have a history of anxiety and I have been prescribed .25 mg xanax for when my anxiety gets out of control. I normally take it as a band aid and try not to take them too much. But they help, they really do. I have done my absolute best to avoid long term regular anti-anxiety/anti-depressant meds but prostatitis' effects on my life alongside a host severe stressors has brought me to my knees. Started seeing a psychologist over all this crap. The reason why I bring up the xanax though is during intense flare ups when Im suffering and there is nothing in this world will touch it, I take ibuprofen and xanax. Sometimes I have to take 2 xanax. It might take up to an hour but eventually I find some relief from the intense suffering. Physically and mentally. But Ive had to turn to xanax way too often as band aid treatment not just for my anxiety but for this damned prostatitis.

So anyways was gonna go back to my GP and I wanted to ask him about Vallium and getting on an anti-depressant until my life and prostatitis calms down. Ive heard folks use Vallium for prostatitis flare ups. And I found out that xanax and vallium are both in the same drug class; Benzodiazipines (sp?). But I heard Vallium is more so reccommended for prostatitis then xanax. I also hear it is less addictive then xanax and I would like to taper down my xanax usage. I dont like using it out of desperation for prostatitis. So I was hoping maybe if the xanax worked a bit, the Vallium would work a lot. Is it worth a try. Does Vallium help relax you and reduce anxiety as well when you are suffering?

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 pm

Post Re: Anyone have much experience with Vallium?
I got some early on in my prostatitis. Did nothing for the symptoms. Sure it pretty much knocks you out when you take it so it's great if you can't fall asleep at night, but there was no way I could use it to function during the day or anything like that. And I had only a very light dose at that. It's not a long term solution but could take the edge off if you have trouble falling asleep at night due to the pain.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 am

Don't think this is a very sensible way to go.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:04 am

chris85 wrote:
Don't think this is a very sensible way to go.

Im afraid sensibility gets thrown at the window when all else fails. Antibiotics have been ineffective thus far. Alpha blockers, bladder relaxers, azo, etc have all done nothing but give me side effects. Supplements effects have been minimal with no real way to even quantify that. And when this condition flares; it is intolerable, hellish and debillitating. And the very real fear that it can flare intensely with there being nothing within the realm of western medicine to help you is terrifying.

For what relief I have gotten which is minimal has only been via xanax and ibuprofen. So ive had to start looking for alternative treatments. Because thus far all "sensible" or conventional treatments has done nothing. With that being said, maybe if I just take it as a sleep aid then it will help the nights which im really suffering.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 pm

prostate454 wrote:
I got some early on in my prostatitis. Did nothing for the symptoms. Sure it pretty much knocks you out when you take it so it's great if you can't fall asleep at night, but there was no way I could use it to function during the day or anything like that. And I had only a very light dose at that. It's not a long term solution but could take the edge off if you have trouble falling asleep at night due to the pain.

Maybe it can help then during night time then. Symptom relief has proven to be a pipe dream thus far. Thats why if any meds at least make me where i dont care if im suffering or even unaware, thats a small victory in my book.

My problem isnt pain that much (only dull ache). My problem is a feeling of irritation and the CONSTANT urge to urinate. This feelings ranges from mildly annoying to holy ...., I feel like Im about to piss all over myself and theres nothing i can do to relieve this feeling. Ive had hellish nights and days where im keeled over holding my junk due to this crap.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Cheko2015 wrote:
prostate454 wrote:

Maybe it can help then during night time then. Symptom relief has proven to be a pipe dream thus far. Thats why if any meds at least make me where i dont care if im suffering or even unaware, thats a small victory in my book.

My problem isnt pain that much (only dull ache). My problem is a feeling of irritation and the CONSTANT urge to urinate. This feelings ranges from mildly annoying to holy ...., I feel like Im about to piss all over myself and theres nothing i can do to relieve this feeling. Ive had hellish nights and days where im keeled over holding my junk due to this crap.

I recommend self internal stretching when you take a shower at night. This helped me significantly when I was stuck with the urge to urinate at night.

Also recommend exploring tizanidine. It's a muscle relaxer and will help you sleep, but it's not a benzo and you can actually function during the day if you have to use it during waking hours. Doctor Pontari proscribed it to me and it was helpful. If your condition is CPPS and not CP then I suspect it would be even more useful than it was for me.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Fresh American skullcap tincture not the dried one is an excellent herb for relaxation and sleep. It also is non addictive. The other one is fresh lemon balm tincture if skullcap isnt enough. You could go see a professional herbalist, I have been impressed with western herbalism and the results it has given. I got off lyrica using skullcap. Form and quality of the herbs is key. It is scary realising the medical establishment are not good at treating chronic illness your right. It isn't just prostatitis....

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 am

I take Ativan (same class as vallium and Xanax) and it helps relax me and I think reduces the pain to an extent for a few hours. I say give it a shot. If it causes you to nearly collapse in fatigue / sleepiness and/or other side effects, then stop. It could even help you target the actual cause(s) of your pain.

Don't let your psychologist or a psychiatrist prescribe it to you. Either get the prescription from your PCP or obtain it yourself. That is to avoid provoking unnecessary inquiries and testing into your mental health the psych docs. Unless you trust them enough, I guarantee it'll save you time and further difficulty, and money.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:33 pm

HI, My Uro has prescribed Vallium to help with sleep and anxiety for the Prostatitis which i have been dealing with for 10 years now. I am not one though to take a lot of meds or any if i don't need them as they have bad side effects and do really nothing for treating Prostatitis as had my share early on and all they did was give me bad side effects with little to no relief.Also Suppliements are by no way a magic bullet as well as most are made with fillers so your not getting what you think you are. Not only that how do you know what your body really needs or is lacking if you don't have blood work done to see if by chance your deficient in anything. Not one to take Antibiotics just to take for the symptoms and my Uro doesn't believe in it either as it's like taking an aspirin for a headache you don't have.
Right now the only place that is doing any kind of research in the U.S.or actually a small amount as spoke with the Dr who is with his partner experimenting with mice is North Western University. So in my opinion with so little being done how can any advancement to a new and better way of treating this condition and possible cure happen.
This is my opinion and i think valid one.

Gary

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:36 pm

As a sufferer for some years now and has been on different meds in the past. If anyone cares to talk on the phone and share experiences / bounce things off of one another or just vent and be a supportive with this horrible condition i will be willing to chat so leave your contact info on the site and will get back with you.

Gary

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 am

The thought with Valium is it relaxes muscles in the pelvis

Uro prescribed and it did nothing for me.

In my case it was diet and candida causing fungal overgrowth and small intestine bacterial overgrowth

Gastro stomach doc diagnosed that and put me on xifaxin and nystatin. That with diet and caprylic acid supplement cures me after 8 years of biopsies , ct scans , antibiotics , cystoscopies and never finding infection in my prostate or urinary tract.

Go low carb and low sugar and try caprylic acid. When you do this your symptoms will flare really bad. Then. After a couple of weeks it fades away. At least for me that was the case

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:25 pm

bill_johnstl wrote:
The thought with Valium is it relaxes muscles in the pelvis

Uro prescribed and it did nothing for me.

In my case it was diet and candida causing fungal overgrowth and small intestine bacterial overgrowth

Gastro stomach doc diagnosed that and put me on xifaxin and nystatin. That with diet and caprylic acid supplement cures me after 8 years of biopsies , ct scans , antibiotics , cystoscopies and never finding infection in my prostate or urinary tract.

Go low carb and low sugar and try caprylic acid. When you do this your symptoms will flare really bad. Then. After a couple of weeks it fades away. At least for me that was the case

How low was your carb intake? There is a difference between carbohydrates and pure sugar, legumes for example are dense in carbs but have zero sugar. But they're one of the healthiest foods for you. So what exactly is your diet suggestion, high in protein and fat instead ala keto?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]