Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Will a colonoscopy aggravate prostatitis? 

Post Will a colonoscopy aggravate prostatitis?
Hello,

First, I'll give you my brief background. I'm a 24 year old male with mild prostatitis. In fact, it's so mild, that it barely bothers me anymore. I really don't think about it that much. My only symptoms are frequent urination and occasional mild pain in my pelvis, that sometimes gets a bit worse with sexual activity.

It started off much worse. I developed it 2 years ago, at the age of 22, no STD's involved. It came out of nowhere. And there was a lot of pain involved in the beginning. It was seriously depressing me. But it gradually improved on its own, and now it's a rather small issue in my life. But I still have other health issues with my gut, which is why I'm having a colonoscopy.

I'm having a colonoscopy later this week and I'm wondering if any other prostatitis sufferers can let me know if it will aggravate my prostatitis. Will it hurt during the procedure? I remember having a prostate exam with my prostatitis was quite painful, though only for a brief second when the urologist put pressure on my prostate. Or will it not hurt during the procedure, but it will cause a flare up later?

Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by Fisherman on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:06 am

Post Re: Will a colonoscopy aggravate prostatitis?
Probably won't hurt as bad as the prostate squeeze test / EPS exam. If you have sigmoid diverticuli though, it could potentially cause a flare if they line the colon wall along the prostate. That being the case, they would probably put you on xifaxan to kill whatever potential infection is there, or to prevent one. That all can be fixed with an SCD, or Gaps diet anyway though.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 am

I've had this done and it had no impact on the Prostatitis. Of course everyone's situation is different but based on my experience , I say you having really nothing to worry about at all.

I'm glad you say your prostate pain has got better over time. This is a positive story.

Good luck for your colonoscopy

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:38 pm

My experience is that DRE's and massaging the prostate (aka any touching) tremendously aggravated my condition. So if the Dr. performing the colonoscopy touches your prostate with the device, it could make your prostatitis worse.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Fisherman wrote:
Hello,

First, I'll give you my brief background. I'm a 24 year old male with mild prostatitis. In fact, it's so mild, that it barely bothers me anymore. I really don't think about it that much. My only symptoms are frequent urination and occasional mild pain in my pelvis, that sometimes gets a bit worse with sexual activity.

It started off much worse. I developed it 2 years ago, at the age of 22, no STD's involved. It came out of nowhere. And there was a lot of pain involved in the beginning. It was seriously depressing me. But it gradually improved on its own, and now it's a rather small issue in my life. But I still have other health issues with my gut, which is why I'm having a colonoscopy.

I'm having a colonoscopy later this week and I'm wondering if any other prostatitis sufferers can let me know if it will aggravate my prostatitis. Will it hurt during the procedure? I remember having a prostate exam with my prostatitis was quite painful, though only for a brief second when the urologist put pressure on my prostate. Or will it not hurt during the procedure, but it will cause a flare up later?

Anyone have experience with this?

Hey Fisherman,

My experience sounds similar to yours. Have been having prostatitis flares since 2012 and now am having a whole host of gut issues. Having a colonoscopy on 11/17 and wishing I could get in sooner. What are your symptoms?

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm

CLCardinal84 wrote:

Hey Fisherman,

My experience sounds similar to yours. Have been having prostatitis flares since 2012 and now am having a whole host of gut issues. Having a colonoscopy on 11/17 and wishing I could get in sooner. What are your symptoms?

Here are all my symptoms:

-Chronic headaches
-Shortness of breath for no reason
-Abdominal pain and bloating
-Occasional diarrhea
-Pain in the pelvis, the usually gets worse with sexual activity (prostatitis)

I was diagnosed with SIBO through a breath test last year, but I believe that SIBO is just a symptom, not the root cause. There is probably something causing the SIBO, that is also causing all my other health issues.

By the way guys, I had my colonoscopy yesterday and it went well! Didn't aggravate my prostate. Now just waiting on the results...

Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

Fisherman wrote:
CLCardinal84 wrote:

Hey Fisherman,

Here are all my symptoms:

-Chronic headaches
-Shortness of breath for no reason
-Abdominal pain and bloating
-Occasional diarrhea
-Pain in the pelvis, the usually gets worse with sexual activity (prostatitis)

I was diagnosed with SIBO through a breath test last year, but I believe that SIBO is just a symptom, not the root cause. There is probably something causing the SIBO, that is also causing all my other health issues.

By the way guys, I had my colonoscopy yesterday and it went well! Didn't aggravate my prostate. Now just waiting on the results...

I have the bloating, gas, abdominal pain and a heavy feeling in my lower abdomen and inconsistent stools. No diarrhea thankfully, but more constipation and inflammation in my gut. I did masturbate last night and afterwards I had a heavy ache through my pelvis and rectum that felt like I had a massive dump sitting right outside my anus that couldn't come out. I guess that's the sitting on a golf ball feeling people talk about. It subsided but was unpleasant for about 45 minutes.

Hope your scope comes back clean!

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]