Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 ConsumerLab: How reliable is their site? 

Post ConsumerLab: How reliable is their site?
Hi:

Many of us try various supplements to help with prostatitis and urinary difficulties. Unfortunately, this is a highly unregulated industry. Many supplements do not contain what the label says. And many claim research that has not really been undertaken.

The website: "ConsumerLab" claims to be a clearinghouse for complementary medicine. They claim they do product testing of supplements of major companies for truth in dosage, safety, etc..They also publish an "online encyclopedia" of many supplements. But to access much of this information, the user must subscribe at a yearly charge of $42/year or $69/2year subscription.

I don't know if their claims for this service are backed up by any organization. I believe AARP cites their findings, but not certain of this.

Does anyone know if this is a reliable outfit? If so, I'd subscribe for a year to help make decisions as to which brand of any supplements got "good grades" in their investigations.

Thanks
~elias~

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Post Re: ConsumerLab: How reliable is their site?
I think I can now reliably answer my own question.

Yes, ConsumerLab does do the investigation and review of supplements which they claim to have reviewed. I've seen its reviews cited by reputable organizations. I think the NIH..among others

They review several aspects of any given class of supplement:

1) What it claims to be for

2) What these claims are based on as well as strength of those scientific/medical studies

3) Reviews of specific brands of the supplement. Potential contamination issues --as well as if that brand does contain what it claims to contain-- and if it really contains the dosage level claimed. Seems they don't review every brand. Perhaps only the most popular ones

Some of their more general surveys are available to all, but the most vital ones --such as specific brand investigations-are by paid subscription only. I think this is justified because the FDA does not do research on supplements. The amount of research ConsumerLab does seems formidable. So I can see how requiring paid subscription for this is justified. The information provided to paid subscribers cannot be cut and pasted

Anyhow, you can get a sense of what services they provide by simply going to ConsumerLab.com

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]