Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 An Explanation and Cure for a common cause of CPPS - Update! 

Post Re: An Explanation and Cure for a common cause of CPPS
Thanks gifford. I've been to a chiropractor exactly once in my life and that was when I was a teenager. Over 20 years ago :)

I've had lower back pain and pain in my right hip for years that comes and goes. I never went to see anyone about it as I'd massage it myself and find a comfortable sitting position (like many, I'm at a desk all day). I wonder if I've just exacerbated a situation that has been present and I've created the conditions for symptoms to come back again. I'm going to try the chiro this next week and see what he says. I'm also doing the stretching exercises that UK mentioned. I'll tell you what, I have some severe flexibility issues on my right side. There are some stretches I can do with my left side that my right side simply won't do. The muscles won't stretch it seems.

What have you found to be the thing that has brought on the biggest improvement for you? It sounds like there is no one single solution for everyone. The solutions are all over the map.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Funny that you mention your right side being your problem side as that is mine too. However, I'm actually quite flexible, for a guy, but my right side is quite a bit less flexible than my left particularly in my hip area. I believe just what you've said about exacerbating the situation. I believe the prostatitis that I caught in April of 2014 was the wake up call for all the things that I was doing wrong. Eating the wrong things for my prostate, driving long distances, I started riding an exercise bike around that time... So to start, I have not had any, and I mean NONE, caffeine, alcohol or spicy foods since May of 2014 and I know for a fact that my prostate is much happier. For years, when I would get my yearly prostate exam it would feel so very uncomfortable, it was very sensitive but I had no other symptoms. I would be trying to crawl up the table when he would be doing the exam.. (and the urologist would offer a surprised comment "oh did that feel sore" but then make no other comment) now.. no issues at all. I've had four, I think, digital prostate exams since the change in diet and no issues with any of them. That was a start - but for me it was finally realizing, just in the past month or so, that I carry all of my stress in my pelvic musculature. When I'm stressed, anxious or tense I get some symptoms (penis tip pain, dribbling or urgency.) Going to the pelvic floor physical therapist was the best thing I ever did. My last appointment, on Friday, she mentioned that in 4-6 weeks when I'm released from her I would need to continue with a home based therapy to continue to keep my symptoms at bay. I don't think I will ever be completely 100% without symptoms because of the way I carry my stress. I've also begun to learn about mediation and relaxation techniques. By the way, for me, hot baths are very bad. I feel great when I'm in it but about an hour later my symptoms explode. However, an ice pack just between my scrotum and anus takes all the symptoms away. However, I've read many guys saying that hot baths help them a lot. The thing is to continue to try a lot of different things and keep a journal so you know what's working and what isn't. Don't try more than one thing at a time. I've done that, had my symptoms return, and then didn't know what thing helped or caused the symptoms to return. I log everything I eat and how I'm feeling every day. What exercise things I do - If I do anything out of the ordinary. My mind isn't that sharp. lol - I need to write it down.

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Here is an article in The Daily Mail which would support the op' David's theory:

http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... pathy.html

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:01 pm

Today I made a 6hr round trip by car to Sussex to see the osteopath John Taberman-Pichler........
If you live in the UK I can not recommend him highly enough-
He is superb at his job.

He soon diagnosed that I had misalignment in my hips along with a misaligned jaw and foot-
Basically I am (was) a walking disaster zone. Any of my misalignment could have been sending pain signals to my pelvis. After his manipulation of the problem bones the pain when he touched them again had instantly gone.
He is a straight no nonsense bloke- obviously he could not say for certain the pelvic pain was cured- but I would say
it's definitely a big step forward.
It cost £70 for the treatment- my urologist charged me over ten times that only to prescribe me 4 months of doxycycline
after a few tests which were all clear.
I'm getting deep tissue massage tomorrow and feel I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Sounds promising bb74. I remember the first few deep tissue massages I had, they improved symptoms significantly.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:48 pm

I went to see Mr Croysdale at 'project me' in Crouch End-
Before he even started massage just from my symptoms he said the chances are the problem was caused by Morton's toe- sure enough I do have Morton's toe.
Muscles and nerves travel from the overworked toe up into the groin/pelvis causing grief.
He recommended wearing toe spacers sold at chemists.
Evidently I have lots of fibrous tissue in my pelvis causing sexual dysfunction etc.
He's started the deep tissue massage to break it up and rejuvenate the tissue - also I have to break up tissue under my foot by rolling hard on a cricket ball.
He's a great therapist and has successfully treated many blokes with pelvic pain.

Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi - thanks for posting. I would love to find someone of their caliber in/near North Central Pennsylvania or Southern New York State, USA??? Any recommendations..

Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Just to clarify- the first step is to look to see if you have Morton's toe- this is where your first biggest toe is longer than your big toe- if so this could be your problem. When you have had months of pain in your groin/pelvis/ genitals it seems far fetched that it originates from your feet- but this therapist Andrew Croysdale soon discovered inflammed tendons/ muscles etc in my pelvis that all originated from the overworked muscle in my foot. The op of this thread David also had foot trouble. It all makes sense to me now- over recent years whenever I had a bout of pelvic pain I had trigger points up the inner thigh of my left leg- it's my left foot with the Morton's toe.
As David the op of this thread states- the key is a good massage therapist and osteopath - I am very grateful he mentioned the names of the guys I've seen as they have indeed proved to be great.
There must be some good therapists in the States - you have to keep looking until you find one-
Or book a holiday to the Uk and include a visit to John Taberman Pilcher and Andrew Croysdale!

Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Just thought it is worth noting for every tight muscles, there is a aposing weak/ loose muscle. The tight muscle is compensating for the weak muscle, for example weak abs = tight back and tight quads = weak long hamstrings. In addition to stretching you need to strengthen else it will come back.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:49 pm

Glad I found this thread.

I'm going to keep my story as brief as possible because I've written it so many times. Symptoms started about 10-11 months ago after I cut back on Valium (went from 30-40mg/day to 2mg/day). In the beginning I was just getting up to go to the bathroom a lot at night. Then I started cycling for exercise and the pain really came on. I went to the doctor and was given antibiotics. They didn't work so I went to the ER. The doctor there gave me more antibiotics, flomax, and an anti-inflammatory all of which I used for a week until I realized they were doing nothing. In December I started reading A Headache In The Pelvis and realized the problem was muscular. I went to another urologist who referred me to a PT. I've been doing PT for about two months now, but I only started taking the exercises seriously about a month ago. I'm working on my glutes, hamstrings, and core and I'm noticing some changes with my body. The muscles on the back of my right leg are engaging when they didn't used to. Pain seems to be decreased but if I do certain exercises, especially core exercises, I get a flare up. But overall pain is a lot less compared to when I started PT.

I think I came across this thread about 8 months ago when I was in the middle of this mess but I didn't believe it. If you would have asked me then if I thought the problem could be postural, I would laugh. But now after dealing with symptoms for almost a year I'm almost certain it's postural. I spent too much time looking on the internet for my solutions, I should have listened to my body and I would have noticed these things earlier. I have a very bad anterior pelvic tilt and I have Morton's toe on my right foot (same side as the weak leg).

Hopefully this is the beginning of the path to 100% recovery for me. This time I'm really convinced it is. I'll be back to check in and if anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:57 pm

I just popped in to agree with the last two posts I have to say strengthening your glutes and core is a big part of it as the modern world does not cater well for our natural movements. Sitting restricts our hips, glutes and core and some of us have to sit a lot. I would also say strengthening the lower and upper back as well as the outer hip can help to.

But I think it is just as important to stretch the most crucial being the front of the hip and hip flexors, quads, inner hip and groin. And I would say be careful stretching the hamstring if it is pelvic tilt as this would cause the hamstring to lengthen and become weak but still appear tight as it was being pulled by the pelvis tilting. Strengthening would be more beneficial or doing nothing and letting it recover.

Just wanted to add some more of my experience to a great thread this is one I have been following my self to.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:01 pm

I'm not sure Morton's toe is the main cause although I think it could possibly cause some bio-mechanical changes.

More likely in my mind is prior injury to the ankle and toes.

Scar tissue and adhesions from old ankle sprains can distort the bone alignment in the ankle and cause nerve entrapments at the Anterior Tarsal Tunnel and the Tarsal Tunnel. Also muscular tightness from overpronation at the knee joint can cause further nerve irritation.

Andrew Croysdale can break down the adhesions in the foot/ankle and help restore proper function to the ligaments you would have damaged in the ankle.

A trained Chiro/Osteo can also manipulate the ankle back into alignment and break down adhesions.

Doing both treatments together would seem a wise policy.

Good luck guys!

So great to see this thread growing with more and more proactive members!

Huge credit goes to the Forum admins who let me post this thread.

Sat May 09, 2015 8:03 am

I just thought I'd post an update:

firstly once again I must thank the op of this thread David88-
it seems ridiculous that my quality of life has been completely transformed by reading a thread on a website
when all the urologists and doctors were of no help to me.

Having suffered greatly with pelvic pain for a very long time I am now pain free and back to normal.
I have had a total of 4.5 hours of deep tissue massage by Andrew Croysdale in Crouch End over recent weeks- hardcore
massage on the foot and inner thigh/groin. I have also worn a large thick silicone bunion toe separator on the
big toe of each foot.They only cost about £3 each on Amazon.
On my left foot along with Morton's toe I also have a large bunion- the toe separator ensures
I am using the correct muscles to walk on.

I was resigned to a life of misery but the fact is there is always a cause to pelvic pain- it doesn't just 'happen'-
stay positive and just keep looking for the solution. How bad I was I could never have foreseen that I'd mend so quickly.
Basically I was impotent with a constant pain in the groin- I could not date or think about having a normal relationship- and
after many months you can not imagine it will ever go away.......but as soon as I started on the right track with the deep tissue
massage of the foot and groin plus wearing toe separators the symptoms rapidly resolved- I'm now having regular sex with a nice
blond and life is sweet.
Actually the pelvic pain is perhaps the best thing that ever happened to me. Recently at dinner a group of friends were all moaning
about jobs and relationships and saying how unhappy they were- me- I'm now permanently happy because after months of pain I'm
just utterly relieved to be healthy-I ask for nothing more to be content.

If you are suffering pelvic pain from a foot related issue the most important and difficult issue to resolve is finding a very good
massage therapist who knows his stuff. It was a real drag having time off work to visit London to see Andrew Croysdale so I arranged
to see a local deep tissue therapist for convenience-and it was a waste of time......whilst Croysdale would cause great pain and
get the job done the local therapist was just not hardcore enough to breakup the fibrous muscle.

Good luck.

Fri May 29, 2015 7:45 am

I've now been fighting my second round of "prostatitis" for a year now. The first occurred in 2013 and was quickly dispatched with IB and Cipro.

The 2nd came on after I moved to a new city and has been causing me pain for 12 months now. After 3 urologists, 1 physical therapist and a pain management doctor, this is what I've discovered:

Cipro/IB - didn't work this time. Symptoms dissipated after 3 weeks but quickly returned.
2nd round of a different antibiotic + IB - nothing
Sitz baths - nada
Heating pads/ice packs - little to nothing
Physical therapy from a trained pelvic PT - nothing
Stretches - minimal help but over stretching hurt more
Lodine - script from pain management md - terrible side effects after 2 weeks, no positive effect
Anitinflammatory cream - flurbiprofen, ketamine, lidocaine, gabapentin - minimal effect
Trigger point massage - increases pain
Pudendal Nerve block w corticosteroid - worked for 24 hrs, then nothing
TENs machine - been using it for a week. Nothing yet.

Ct scan for hernia - neg
3 prostate exams - Normal
Pt said it was Pudendal Nerve irritation

I do a lot of standing at my Varidesk standing desk. I work from so I can avoid commuting but fly frequently which is awful. I tried using a prostate cushion but that didn't work. Sitting on soft couches is ok as is laying down. In order to sit, I did the following - bought 2 toilet seats from the big box hardware store. I disassembled them and the reassembled them so that I have 2 seat bottoms taped together and then beneath that one of the tops. This gives me enough depth so that my pelvis doesn't touch the flat bottom of the seat. I then dropped this whole thing in a backpack and take it with me whenever I drive or fly. I've never had a problem getting it through security. It was working well for the first few months but seems to have led to pain in my outer buttocks and legs - where all my weight is supported.

Next steps:
Inversion table
Chiropractor
Trigger point injections?
More drugs from my pain mgmt md - I really don't what to go down that path. I'd rather solve the problem than medicate.

Other ideas?

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:15 am

Bobsacamano wrote:
I've now been fighting my second round of "prostatitis" for a year now. The first occurred in 2013 and was quickly dispatched with IB and Cipro.

The 2nd came on after I moved to a new city and has been causing me pain for 12 months now. After 3 urologists, 1 physical therapist and a pain management doctor, this is what I've discovered:

Cipro/IB - didn't work this time. Symptoms dissipated after 3 weeks but quickly returned.
2nd round of a different antibiotic + IB - nothing
Sitz baths - nada
Heating pads/ice packs - little to nothing
Physical therapy from a trained pelvic PT - nothing
Stretches - minimal help but over stretching hurt more
Lodine - script from pain management md - terrible side effects after 2 weeks, no positive effect
Anitinflammatory cream - flurbiprofen, ketamine, lidocaine, gabapentin - minimal effect
Trigger point massage - increases pain
Pudendal Nerve block w corticosteroid - worked for 24 hrs, then nothing
TENs machine - been using it for a week. Nothing yet.

Ct scan for hernia - neg
3 prostate exams - Normal
Pt said it was Pudendal Nerve irritation

I do a lot of standing at my Varidesk standing desk. I work from so I can avoid commuting but fly frequently which is awful. I tried using a prostate cushion but that didn't work. Sitting on soft couches is ok as is laying down. In order to sit, I did the following - bought 2 toilet seats from the big box hardware store. I disassembled them and the reassembled them so that I have 2 seat bottoms taped together and then beneath that one of the tops. This gives me enough depth so that my pelvis doesn't touch the flat bottom of the seat. I then dropped this whole thing in a backpack and take it with me whenever I drive or fly. I've never had a problem getting it through security. It was working well for the first few months but seems to have led to pain in my outer buttocks and legs - where all my weight is supported.

Next steps:
Inversion table
Chiropractor
Trigger point injections?
More drugs from my pain mgmt md - I really don't what to go down that path. I'd rather solve the problem than medicate.

Other ideas?

What's your total injury history from birth?

Particularly your feet/ankles?

Looking back, do you remember having a stiff back/hamstrings at a young age? Difficulty concentrating or remembering things?

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:22 am

David88 wrote:

Looking back, do you remember having a stiff back/hamstrings at a young age? Difficulty concentrating or remembering things?

Couple things - initially this came on as the"golfball" in the rectum feeling and went to a 4-5 as the day progressed. I've got it to a 2-3 most days w not sitting, etc. Left side only. Mostly a trigger point now at the point where my ischiocavernosus and superficial transverse perineal muscle meet. I also have a general soreness around my whole left side from the hip around to the whole butt cheek.

Ok, to answer your question. I have had terrible knees since my teens. I'm 40. I've dislocated each kneecap 5-10 times through athletic and non-athletic activities. This has led me to compensate by being very careful with the way I step and walk. I occasionally throw out my back but that's a 1x a year thing that goes away within 3 days or so. I thought this might have come about because I had a habit of externally massaging the perineum during masturbation for years but stopped that as soon as this kicked up.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:19 am

Bobsacamano wrote:
David88 wrote:

Couple things - initially this came on as the"golfball" in the rectum feeling and went to a 4-5 as the day progressed. I've got it to a 2-3 most days w not sitting, etc. Left side only. Mostly a trigger point now at the point where my ischiocavernosus and superficial transverse perineal muscle meet. I also have a general soreness around my whole left side from the hip around to the whole butt cheek.

Ok, to answer your question. I have had terrible knees since my teens. I'm 40. I've dislocated each kneecap 5-10 times through athletic and non-athletic activities. This has led me to compensate by being very careful with the way I step and walk. I occasionally throw out my back but that's a 1x a year thing that goes away within 3 days or so. I thought this might have come about because I had a habit of externally massaging the perineum during masturbation for years but stopped that as soon as this kicked up.

What about before the knee issues?

Any toe/foot/ankle injuries? Any lack of flexibility in any of those areas.

Pelvic muscle problems generally develop because muscles lower in the kinetic chain aren't working properly.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 am

David88 wrote:

Pelvic muscle problems generally develop because muscles lower in the kinetic chain aren't working properly.[/quote]

I have sprained each ankle 1x approx 10-15 years ago. I've also had bilateral congenital hernias. Finally, this all started 6 months after a vasectomy. Man, I'm a hot mess. :)

Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:27 pm

David88 wrote:

Pelvic muscle problems generally develop because muscles lower in the kinetic chain aren't working properly.

Couple of other things. I had severe back pain 10 years ago on my right side which turned put to be nothing but strains/pulls. That could have pulled everything out of whack. Additionally, since this whole flare up, I've found myself leaning heavily on my right side because the pain is all on the left. This cannot be good for my alignment.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:08 pm

I think it's important to clarify all this information being banded about.
Firstly there is bacterial prostatitis.
Secondly there is what is called non - bacterial prostatitis.
The first is still relatively poorly understood, at least if it is diagnosed correctly and quickly antibiotics can cure it. We know that the prostate is difficult to treat with antibiotics as it is poorly served by vascular tissue.
The second is still shrouded in mystery. I think we can agree that it shares most if not all of the symptoms of the first and is easily mistaken for the first. I think we can agree that the strain placed on tissues and muscles in the pelvis produces these symptoms. This strain can be caused by bacterial prostatitis through muscular tension, emotional stress and depression. It can also be caused by other factors such as an injury. A possible injury has been described here and I think this is a very valid idea. I also think there are other injuries which could initiate a series of symptoms which mimic bacterial prostatitis.
So, we have I think, a well documented and valid model we can use to understand and treat the common symptoms.
Not everyone is going to have their symptoms explained, yet. Despite the model's complexity and gaps in our knowledge it is the correct model.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Very interesting post Dave.
Here is my case, I´m still fighting with no direction...

I have 43 and 2 years of suffering now... Its supposed I had a chlamydial infection that began in March 2013 but never confirmed (just seemed to have been a false positive trying to find an explanation to my symptoms by our local labs)
After several urethral swabs and urine/semen/blood culture and test done (even by PCR 3 times after prostatic massage),
all negative. Anyway I did several courses of ATB treatment for months just in case (Levofloxacin, Minocycline, Doxycycline + Azithromycin).

The PSA was 1.2 and very few 1-3 leukocytes in urine or sperm, prostate size normal. As for pain, I feel discomfort in the pelvic area mostly from left side, great discomfort after urination (it has sometimes splitted and with low flow), radiating to the tip of penis but not to testicles, only urethral. It just relax after bowel movement and activates if I sit for a while.
After ejaculation rarely have pain, just some discomfort few times.

I have done urodynamic study and cisto, they said a mild to moderate narrowness and hypertrophy of the bladder neck.
AND my seminal vesicules distended but clear inside.
MRI at my spine shows Ok, just very low minor hernia L5 S3 disc.
Currently I am back on Flowmax (second attempt) and painkillers/valium.

My pelvic therapist said I have a couple of trigger points inside and is working on it, but I feel stucked at some point.

So just trying to elucidate if I am on right direction... thinking possible explanations for the syndrome:
- bladder neck disfunction since it has some hypertrophy
- infection since my seminal vesicles are distended
- muscle related issue since I have those trigger points active and I usually have very hard lower back pain/numbness
after walking or standing for a while.

Not sure if you guys could share your opinions... as you can imagine our uros would just offer cutting my bladder, seeking for injections/atb plus massage (few of them) for my seminal vesicles, and doing more pelvic approach.... or none of them!
Just block your pain and your tenesm.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance! I am suffering a lot right now

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:22 pm

I have had a full 3D gait analysis at The Podiatry clinic in Lewisham London and once again the results seem to indicate that the op of this thread is 100% correct-
the results showed that further to Mortons toe I had serious foot pronation that had caused my ankles and calf muscles to become very tight-this leads to all kinds of issues further up the muscle chain inc my hips and weak glute muscles etc=pain
As well as getting massage I now wear decent supportive Asic trainers to avoid foot pronation and do plenty of physio and stretching- definitely feel much better and nice to get to the root of the problem.....
The Podiatry clinic in Lewisham were extremely professional.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:02 am

bb74 wrote:
I have had a full 3D gait analysis at The Podiatry clinic in Lewisham London and once again the results seem to indicate that the op of this thread is 100% correct-
the results showed that further to Mortons toe I had serious foot pronation that had caused my ankles and calf muscles to become very tight-this leads to all kinds of issues further up the muscle chain inc my hips and weak glute muscles etc=pain
As well as getting massage I now wear decent supportive Asic trainers to avoid foot pronation and do plenty of physio and stretching- definitely feel much better and nice to get to the root of the problem.....
The Podiatry clinic in Lewisham were extremely professional.

Glad to hear that bb74. I get my chiropody, massages and chiropractic manual adjustment in Mississauga from the Erin Mills Health facility. Had to run around a lot till I found them. What kind of Asic trainers do you use?

Mauro, why don’t you try for a free consultation around your area? I’m sure most chiro or PT clinics offer them.

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:14 am

Question for the muscle / skeletal experts on here.

I'm still working on my recovery. I didn't have this as bad as some of you on here, but it was still a draining, concerning and miserable experience.

My main symptoms were:
-Bladder pressure / discomfort.
-Base of penis pain
-mild feelings of needing to urinate
-Suprapubic pain
-Thigh / hip pain
-Discomfort at tip of penis
-Later...perineum pain after ejaculation

I've done 3 weeks of Cirpo and am now on Doxy for another 12 weeks. Things are better, but not yet well.

It seems different now. Perineum pain is gone. but now my entire "undercarriage" seems wounded and inflamed.

If I press on the muscles in my hip / pubic area, I can feel "knots" that are painful. Then, pressing about 2-3" away from my anus on the glutes / upper thighs on the back of the pelvis is also EXTREMELY painful. Seems like these are trigger points.

I know my pelvis is rolled forward..... "anterior pelvic rotation".

So could my issue really be musculoskeletal? Or was it the infection initially and has it transitioned to musculoskeletal?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give a BIG THANK YOU to this forum! Its helped me alot.

Have had this CPPS since i was 19 (now 27) and i feel i am starting to get it under control through regular stretching and strengthening muscles and some meditation/mindfulness.

My condition was diagnosed originally as bacterial but never proven and had always flared up during stress and a lot sitting around. Long story short i had been through 3 urologist, 2 physiotherapist and numerous GP's telling me different things. Been on anti-biotics to alpha blocks and even anti-depressants, all of which didn’t provide much relief.

Ive never commented had the guts to comment and always just read posts :roll: but i thought i'd share a book called Move Your DNA by Katy Bowman that has helped me along with the forum and is related to alignment. The legs on the wall stretch mentioned in the book is a practically good stretch.

Hope it helps someone.

PS: if you dont like reading you can also get the audiobook version.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next