Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Treating the Pelvic Floor - with success 

Post Treating the Pelvic Floor - with success
I am a patient who suffered with prostatitis for a number of years. Symptoms included groin pain, and frequent urination. At times it was very serious. I began notice a correlation between two things, (a) stress, and (b) traveling - especially flying. Standard treatment was (1) I would visit my primary care doctor, and he would give me a urine test to determine if I had an infection - which was always negative, and (2) he would send me a urologist. The urology standard approach is a prostate examine followed by antibotics. Prostate cancer was ruled out. Over a couple year period I was prescribed many different antibotics and in one year, I was on antibotics for 9 months. I searched for solutions, and I went to a different urologist who confirmed my thoughts, that antibotics was not the solution. He advised to stop them right away. That said, he didn't have many options to offer. I eventually found my answer in a physical therapist, Dr. Julie Sarton, who is a graduate of Creighton University with a Doctorate in Physical Therapy. Dr. Sarton specializes in pelvic floor dysfunction. Albeit her practice, and that of many others has primarly involved women. That said, her male patient list is growing. It was clear after my first few visits that I found my real problem - my pelvic floor muscles were not in good shape. I believe the cause to have been long commutes, and stress. Airplane travel made it worse due to the tight seats. I have been free of prostatitis for over a year now. I recognize early warning signs and I work with Dr. Sarton to treat my pelvic floor and all the muscles that affect that. I am sharing this because it was a long journey to find the solution and I want others to know that most family doctors and urologists do not have the right answer. Unless you have bacterial prostatitis, antibotics will not cure you.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Post Re: Treating the Pelvic Floor - with success
I have been diagnosed with Acute Prostatitis (no known infection), and I live in New Jersey, so cannot go to the therapist you go to.

Do you know of a way to determine where to find a good therapist that may be able to assist me further?

I am confused by all the theories out there ~ my urologist said to take herbal supplements and cut out certain foods, like tea, coffee, chocolate, alcohol and spicy foods.
I'm currently having acupucture done as well as seeing a holistic doctor who is giving me a host of natural remedies. None seem to be working and I was wondering if my pelvic muscles could be the problem. My symptoms are mainly frequent urination and some pelvic discomfort and at times, some burning. I've had some back pain, and/or a 'heavy' feeling in the groin/scrotum area. Could this be a pelvic floor issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:20 pm

I tried the diet approach as well, it was not a cure. Frequent urination and heavy feeling in the groin area are definately symptoms. Try searching under women's clinics for pelvic pain issues. I also recommend the book Heal Pelvic Pain by Amy Stein. It contains many of the treatment methods that my therapist provided. That said, you need to find a person who can treat this as just reading the book and trying the excersises and massage techniques yourself likely isn't enough. That author, Amy Stein, has her practice in New York city.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:47 pm

I have had chronic rectal genital urinary pain and probably prostiates for 20 years and the reno doctors know nothing what is causing this antibiotics do nothing. i think i have this chronic pelvic floor problem with the muscles and nerves. the only time i dont have this pain is when i am a sleep. every morning after bowl movement it seems to excerbarte the problem.geting in the shower helps some but thats just temporary. there has been times when the pain was moderate, but the last 9 months so fare have been severe. I have lifted heavy weights for 25 years and have not lifted for 4 months with no change in symptons. I have heard a couple of theorys on this and have the book headache in the pelvis. what does everybody think. please help and respond. thank you.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello my friend,
Sorry to hear of the pain and discomfort you are having and maybe my suggestion might help you a bit.I think that you need to see a urologist to determine if you have nothing seriously wrong going on with you.I think you have a very bad flare up of prostatitis and you need to have a unrine culture done to see if you have any bacteria or fungus going on in your body.
Have you been on an anti flamatory medicine as that might help.Also you could try using some heat and or ice to see if that helps relieve some of your pain and make you more comfortable.Don't forget to drink plenty of water to keep your body clean of bacteria if that is what you have.I don't feel lifting or not lifting weights as you say is making a big difference in your condition but seems while your alseep as you say you do feel better so to me that indicates some type of inflamtion as when you are not putting pressure on the areas that cause you pain you do feel better.

Good luck and hope you feel better,
bythebay

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 am

I was able to go and see the therapists at Amy Stein's clinic in NYC - Beyond Basics PT.
So far I have had several (very expensive) treatements there - about 1 to 2 times week (as they are out of network). So far, they do help, but it is not helping enough. My main issue is frequent urination and the urge to urinate is constant - some days more than others. The therapy i get at the PT is very good and I think it helps but I don't feel it is a cure.

Is the PT only effective to help with pain? or has PT helped anyone to stop/minimize the frequent urination? Note that I don't have a lot of pain.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 pm

In my case the PT with Dr. Sarton has solved my frequent urination issues. In fact, she was able to hit tigger points that totally replicated my symptoms. I found that amazing! I think you have to continue treatment both with your professional as well as yourself. I do trigger point muscle releases and other stretching excersises every day. I also pay close attention to symptoms developing and take action such as the trigger point releases and working to reduce my stress (often the cause). I have found muscle tension and sore trigger points to come back when I have tough stressful days, lots of driving, long meetings and/or long flights. The pain and utination are all symptoms of this. Each patient is going have different combinations. The role of the professional is to find your trigger points and design a treatement for you.

Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]