Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 I had a prostatectomy for prostatitis 

Post I had a prostatectomy for prostatitis
For me, this worked great.

A little background - I had prostatitis from age 13 to age 33 or so. From age 31 to 33 that pain was under control with a pain pump. Unfortunately, i had a really severe reaction to the medication in the pain pump that caused some neurological damage. So, I had to go off the pump. At that time I realized that my prostate did not hurt anymore - even without the pain pump.

This was great and it lasted for 6 years. I was so much happier during this period.

Unfortunately, it came back. Opioids were no longer an option - very long story there, but it is part of the neurological damage from my reaction to the medicine in my pain pump. After two years of trying everything that seemed reasonable, I went to Dr. Krongrad for the operation.

I had a hunch that the operation would be successful for me. My hunch was based on my reaction to a series of intraprostatic injections that I underwent from my urologist in Atlanta (whom I highly recommend). Although the injections did not have a long-lasting effect, we noticed that I was pain-free for the first few hours after injection. The injection included antibiotics, steroids, and an anesthetic. The pain-free period corresponded with the expected duration of the effect of the anesthetic. My urologist and I discussed this and agreed that this was a good sign that surgery would work. If numbing the prostate took away the pain, then removing it might as well.

So, I went down to Aventura, Florida, and had the operation. Now I am three months out, and I am doing great. My pain is gone. My continence is mostly returned (I still squirt a little bit sometimes with exertion). I have had a couple of semi-erections, so that would indicate that I am at least on the road to recovering erectile function. Apparently that can take a bit longer than three months.

So, for me, it was worth it. Having constant fairly strong pain and not being able to take opioids was just absolutely awful. Now, life is good again.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Post Re: I had a prostatectomy for prostatitis
I had a prostatectomy for prostatitis also, but it didn't work. A couple years later I got castrated and that worked. It's pretty much eliminated the old "prostatitis" symptoms. I had the miserable condition for 17 years. I think in a lot of cases the Cowper's glands are the problem with chronic "prostatitis". If you drastically lower testosterone for a long time, it causes the Cowper's glands to shrink or even disappear, according to some old studies I've read.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 pm

miguelf wrote:
I had a prostatectomy for prostatitis also, but it didn't work. A couple years later I got castrated and that worked. It's pretty much eliminated the old "prostatitis" symptoms. I had the miserable condition for 17 years. I think in a lot of cases the Cowper's glands are the problem with chronic "prostatitis". If you drastically lower testosterone for a long time, it causes the Cowper's glands to shrink or even disappear, according to some old studies I've read.

Could you tell us pls, who performed your prostatectomy ?

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:59 pm

JonathanLynch- Please identify urologist in Atlanta, I'd like to see him/her.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]