Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 IS LONG TERM ANTIBIOTIC USE OK? 

Post IS LONG TERM ANTIBIOTIC USE OK?
Question:

Are many of you here been able to safely stay on antibiotics for long periods of time, trying out one then another?

I've been on antibiotics for 4 months now, mostly fosfomycin, now erythromycin, and that doesn't seem to be fixing it. I'm now tempted to try Cipro, but afraid of over-doing my intake of antibiotics.

I do take probiotics every day to try and mitigate the negative effects.

Many thanks.

Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Post Re: IS LONG TERM ANTIBIOTIC USE OK?
Wayan Jack wrote:
Question:

Are many of you here been able to safely stay on antibiotics for long periods of time, trying out one then another?

I've been on antibiotics for 4 months now, mostly fosfomycin, now erythromycin, and that doesn't seem to be fixing it. I'm now tempted to try Cipro, but afraid of over-doing my intake of antibiotics.

I do take probiotics every day to try and mitigate the negative effects.

Many thanks.

You never want to use anything long term if possible but it’s more about what antibiotic you are on. You mention Cipro, I would strongly advise you to avoid Cipro and all fluoroquinolones. If you think antibiotics are going to help you ask if you can try Bactrim. It’s been used for Prostate related issues for a very long time. You’ll find much discussion about the pros or cons of antibiotics here but none of us can say how you will respond. You will have to decide that after reading and doing your own research, but speaking from experience I would again advise you to think carefully about any use of Cipro.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:25 pm

It's not ok, but it is the only way that most of the urologists seem to know.

I was 2 months on Bactrim and it was awful, my limbs hurted and I was weakened all that time, something like having a flu. The doctor wanted me to keep taking it 3 months but since I wasn't improving I skipped 1 month.

I have also tried similar courses of quinolones, which fortunately I tolerated well. But I guess I was lucky. I wouldn't like to try it again.

Notice also that long courses of antibiotics will leave your body unbalanced and ou will need to take probiotics to re-balance it. If you are lucky and get cured it is worthy but in my case the experience was not good and I'm still with chronic prostatitis.

I wish they do more research about this condition and come with more appropriate ways to cure this.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. I understand and feel the same way.

Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]