Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Prostatitis and pain management 

Post Prostatitis and pain management
Hi Everyone

This is my first post to the forum so I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has already posted. I have found the information helpful and encouraging. To see people describe symptoms that I was finding hard to describe was particularly helpful. To hear about the diagnostic route of others also helped me understand my own journey. And finally hearing about the emotional toll prostatitis takes on us and the importance of relaxation made a lot of sense.

I could also see that posts were receiving a few responses but a lot of other people were reading them, so like me others must have found the community helpful.

The existing posts have been extremely helpful in helping me compose my own post, providing the language and context I needed to even begin to talk about my own challenge.

I would like helpful suggestions on how to manage my pain and that includes comments on medications. Compared to the accounts of other people on this forum and the UK forum there are many men suffering much worse than myself. My pain is limited to my penis but is overwhelming in its persistence.

My problem began at the beginning of April 2020. 2.5 months ago.

I had one course of antibiotics, for what was thought to be a UTI. When that did not work I was put on Ciprofloxacin. 2 courses of 20 days each with a break in between. My pain levels have fluctuated giving me intermittent bouts of hope. But really the antibiotic did not provide a permanent solution.
I am now on Ibuprofen and a small dose of Nortriptyline. The Nortriptyline is an antidepressant which in small doses is thought to help with pain management and not have an impact on the brain. I find it depresses my mood in an unwelcome way but am hoping it will give me a holiday from the pain.

The degree of pain seems relatively low but its persistence is debilitating and totally intrusive. At first, I thought I could ignore it and get on with life. But hearing others write about the importance of taking time off work and social commitments and spending time relaxing, helped me understand the seriousness of this condition. One of the suggestions was yoga, I would like to endorse that suggestion and for men who are fearful or uncomfortable about going to female-dominated classes can I recommend Yoga with Adriene, conveniently on YouTube so you can do it at home. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYKMP6rOE)

My pain management medication is not working for me. But my normally good GP has no further options. I am told I belong to a small group of men who have this problem for which they have no effective treatment. 
I felt like being told I was on my own. So finding this forum gives me some hope that someone out there might know something more I can do to manage the pain. 

I and others might have to look further out of the box to find help. Does anyone have experience of using CBD for prostatitis? And even further out of the box has anyone tried psilocybin ( magic mushroom) for which I found a very interesting article about its route to legalisation in the USA ( https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-push-to-legalize-magic-mushrooms-for-depression-and-ptsd/) which is worth a read before you decide I am completely mad.

Just before I sign off, I am 68 and also have an enlarged benign prostate (BPH) and IBS. Both of which I manage fine but I have some knowledge of these conditions which might help others.

Best wishes

Richard

Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]