Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Has anyone had "green light" laser prostate surgery? 

Post Has anyone had "green light" laser prostate surgery?
If so....would like some thoughts on it. My doctor is recommending it based on my symptoms (which actually have subsided greatly the past few weeks following the 2nd round of antibiotics) and also the size of the prostate.

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Post Re: Has anyone had "green light" laser prostate surgery?
three4rd wrote:
If so....would like some thoughts on it. My doctor is recommending it based on my symptoms (which actually have subsided greatly the past few weeks following the 2nd round of antibiotics) and also the size of the prostate.

There are really only 2 reasons to have prostate surgery. Cancer being the first and a seriously reduced flow due to its size. Having it for prostatitis symptoms is a last resort and should not be done unless you’ve exhausted all other avenues of treatment.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:00 am

Madcap...thanks. Interesting that the doctor advised it pretty much based on just the size and also a reduced flow during the uriflow test. I'm betting that if that same test were redone now, the flow would be almost normal. I was still quite symptomatic when I did that test. Still makes me wonder if the whole issue was basically infection-related, since I do feel much better. Time will tell. If the symptoms return, guess I could consider it. He is not a fan of repeated rounds of cipro since he said an immunity can build up. I'm not quite as comfortable with this guy as my previous doctor who just retired (from the same practice). He had suggested green light years ago already but then had also echoed your thoughts about it being a last resort unless truly needed.

I might ask, though, relative to prostatitis...what other "avenues of treatment" are there? Another interesting thing is that when I went in for cystoscopy he said that we could consider a change in meds - that tamsulosin, after many years, can become ineffective. And yet, at my follow-up the other day to discuss the results of the test and ultrasound, nothing was mentioned about a possible change in meds. Instead, he jumped right to suggesting the surgery (?). A bit confusing. Then, when I said that I've been basically symptom free the last few weeks, he indicated to just let it ride for now and continue with the tamsulosin. Not sure how to read the guy.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:45 am

When surgery is brought up the first thing you should do is research the likely result of the procedure. The first time I had a problem I did not see a Urologist until about 6 months into my treatment from my GP. The Urologist I saw then is the one I see now. So he’s been my Urologist for around 20 years. He mentioned the possibility in my follow up appointment after a scope. While he said it was an option, he made it clear the result could just as likely make the situation worse. That’s always the problem with resorting to surgery for a condition like prostatitis. So if it’s presented to you it’s in your best interest to see a different Dr.

As for other options for treating it that depends on how you want to approach it. Drs don’t treat this like they did 20 years ago. When I first had this I was probably on antibiotics for 6 months or longer. Drs now are reluctant to give you more than a few weeks. So if you don’t respond in those first few weeks and you have whatever tests are available and no specific problem can be found other than an enlarged prostate that is what they will focus on. So you will either get a drug to increase your flow or a suggestion of surgery. But none of that will address your symptoms outside of the flow. There are numerous herbs you can try. None work for everyone so you’ll have to try various ones to see if any help. There’s a good chance you can treat this without a Dr. My advice is avoid saw palmetto. That’s one of the first things that comes up when searching for help but there’s zero evidence it helps. There are better supplements out there.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm

What "better supplements" might you be referring to? Thanks for the additional thoughts. I was considering - as you mentioned - the idea of seeing a different doctor (could even do this within the same practice I suppose). I don't understand why the guy I'm seeing now (only for a few times thus far following the retirement of my regular doc) suggested other medications as an option but then jumped right to the surgery. Of course, my fault probably for not asking about the possibility of other meds until AFTER I left the office. Gotta go in next time with a list of questions.

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]