forum.prostatitis.org
http://forum.prostatitis.org/

Cystoscopy Complications and Questions
http://forum.prostatitis.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2590
Page 1 of 1

Author:  rhz10 [ Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

Hello,

I'm new here (age 53, male) with a couple of questions about cystoscopies. I've had two so far--both rigid. The first was many years ago with only lidocaine and the second was under a general anesthetic where bladder biopsies were performed and small bladder stones were removed. Recovery from each of these procedures was difficult--especially the second time round It was very hard to start urinating again, and when I eventually did (more than 12 hours after the second procedure) it was very painful. After the second cystoscopy, the pain lasted for a full month.

I now need to do this a third time (for larger bladder stones), and I'm very concerned about post-procedure recovery--how to start peeing again on my own before my bladder fills and how to manage pain. Based on the last time, my urologist says that I have an unusually difficult response to the procedure.

To ensure that urine doesn't back up, he said he could leave in a catheter (while under the general) if I wanted, but given how irritated everything will be, I'm not sure that's a good idea. As for managing pain, last time I was given Vicodin, and it made me very, very nauseous. This time he thought I might try Tramadol but had some concern about its blood thinning effects. He wondered whether performing the biopsies was what caused the pain to last for so long.

I know people here have a lot of experience with cystoscopies, and I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on how to best deal with the post-procedure complications I've described.

Thank you.

rhz

Author:  Madcap [ Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

Hello and welcome, when you say you had pain do you mean pain while urinating or after? Was this a constant pain or only during or shortly after urinating?

Author:  rhz10 [ Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

Madcap wrote:
Hello and welcome, when you say you had pain do you mean pain while urinating or after? Was this a constant pain or only during or shortly after urinating?


Hi.

The pain was upon urination. They gave me those pills that turn your pee orange (Pyridium). I'm not sure that it did much at all to relieve discomfort. This pain during urination was quite severe for many days after the procedure.

Author:  Madcap [ Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

Mine was done under general anesthesia but I didn’t have stones or biopsies. No pain after, but if you’re concerned about difficulty in urinating you do know that prescription pain meds when taken by men especially can make it difficult to go. That’s a common side effect. As for a catheter I wouldn’t want one unless it was necessary because of infections and irritation from the cath. Maybe you just had an unfortunate reaction the last time.

Author:  rhz10 [ Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

Madcap wrote:
Mine was done under general anesthesia but I didn’t have stones or biopsies. No pain after, but if you’re concerned about difficulty in urinating you do know that prescription pain meds when taken by men especially can make it difficult to go. That’s a common side effect. As for a catheter I wouldn’t want one unless it was necessary because of infections and irritation from the cath. Maybe you just had an unfortunate reaction the last time.


Thanks for your response. I knew that the anesthesia could cause urine retention but didn't know that the pain medication could. I had a difficult response to the procedure both times, but it was worse the second time. Certainly, avoiding the catheter would be better. I'm not sure which is scarier to me: waking up with it already in or, after a day of not peeing, having them insert it.

Author:  Madcap [ Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

rhz10 wrote:
Madcap wrote:
Mine was done under general anesthesia but I didn’t have stones or biopsies. No pain after, but if you’re concerned about difficulty in urinating you do know that prescription pain meds when taken by men especially can make it difficult to go. That’s a common side effect. As for a catheter I wouldn’t want one unless it was necessary because of infections and irritation from the cath. Maybe you just had an unfortunate reaction the last time.


Thanks for your response. I knew that the anesthesia could cause urine retention but didn't know that the pain medication could. I had a difficult response to the procedure both times, but it was worse the second time. Certainly, avoiding the catheter would be better. I'm not sure which is scarier to me: waking up with it already in or, after a day of not peeing, having them insert it.


I understand the reluctance concerning the catheter. I have a CT scan tomorrow and then appt with a surgeon on Friday to go over the results. He’s looking to confirm a recurring hernia. If that’s the case I’ll be have hernia surgery and I had numerous problems after the last one, and my prostate is much larger now than it was then. So I will be facing the same decision as you. Do I ask for a temporary cath before leaving the hospital or wait and hope I don’t need it? In my case I’ll probably roll the dice and go home without one unless something happens forcing the issue. Tough choice either way.

Author:  racebannon [ Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cystoscopy Complications and Questions

I've had 2 cystoscopies. For me in both cases, my urination improved after the procedures, only to fail back to difficulty, like it was originally.

It's true that pain meds can cause retention, but usually only from high doses of opiates because the nerves are affected. Same with anesthesia, although this is less common nowadays.

Several years ago I was having severe sleep difficulties. I started taking and alternating gravol and Benadryl. Guess what, they both can cause urinary difficulties. So many meds cause this.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/