Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Sprained Ankle Reawakened CP Symptoms, How I Beat it 

Post Sprained Ankle Reawakened CP Symptoms, How I Beat it
Hey there folks!

I wanted to share some of my recent findings. I am the blog author of "A Comprehensive Guide to Effectively Treating Prostatitis" of which I posted back in September.

After 6 months of a quiet prostate, I sprained my ankle back in late March. My family, circumstantially, was also in town so I was a bit lax with my normal diet routine. The next morning, the ankle swelled, so I used ice and tiger-bomb. A day later, my prostate woke up and triggered all my former CP symptoms. I had almost forgotten how it felt like; that deep, impenetrable perineum itch (golf ball effect) that you can't scratch your way out of. You can imagine how I felt, feeling like I had to start all over. But at least this time I knew I could fix it, as I had done before.

2 weeks later, all CP symptoms completely disappeared without medication. I effectively treated my CP, again and faster than I had been able to before!

This incident has further hardened my beliefs that prostatitis is in part an autoimmune disorder caused by an overactive immune system that mistakens the prostate and/or prostatic fluid as a foreign invader, possibly rooted in cause by some type of unwanted physical impact to the pelvic region that took place in your life. I did not feel CP effects until only after the shock to the immune system caused by the ankle sprain and the subsequent large swelling (an immune response). This incident was not the first. A few years ago, I caught a nasty cold and noticed that my CP symptoms worsened during this time. I am also treating my reactive arthritis w/ spondylitis, another autoimmune disorder that came about a year or so after my CP. It's not uncommon for someone with an autoimmune disorder to have more than one. Nonetheless, my C-Reactive Protein (an inflammation trigger) levels are uncommonly low, and I believe it's because of my protocol.

I firmly believe our immune systems play an enormous role in our chronic pain downstairs, and was wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences...

To me, it's like a trigger. Something will happen (usually traumatic and/or requiring a strong immune response) that will trigger the CP symptoms "on." Upon practicing my protocol long enough, the trigger goes back to the "off" position.

Also, I believe the immune system is a creature of habit. I believe that continuing my protocol will shorten each interval my CP symptoms are triggered, allowing the immune system to slowly but surely correct itself. The first time it took me months once I had the right protocol down. This time = 2 weeks.

The reverse is also true. The longer you allow CP symptoms to continue, the harder it will be to reverse. But it's never too late.

That is because my protocol focuses on boosting the immune system in terms of quality (not mistaking bodily cells for invaders), performance (strength), and efficiency (preventing over-performance).

So here's what I did to fix it:

1) drank 1 cup water w/ lemon every day >5 times.
2. upgraded from foam-roller to softball for myofascial releases. Rolled all hip, buttocks, hamstrings, and inner thigh muscles. Also rolled pectineus and iliapsoas muscles, which directly connect to pelvic floor. This brought fresh blood (02) to the pelvic region, and is an immediate yet long-lasting analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
3. DETOX DIET: Breakfast berry/banana/orange/lemon smoothie (w/ peeled and flashboiled carrots, soaked walnuts, kale, soaked chia seeds, ginger, turmeric) in the morning. All fruits served whole, smoothie consumed within 15 minutes of peeling fruits. Seeds removed. Portion of orange and lemon peel added. Lunch; kale salad w/ olives, artichoke, cooked onions/mushrooms/garlic (wait 5 min after cutting garlic before heating to activate allicin), flashboiled and peeled tomatoes, avocado, and 3-4 oz cooked Norwegian or Alaskan salmon w/ skin; topped w/ fresh rosemary & sage, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, peppercorn and sea salt. Before Dinner; Freshly juiced drink (not very tasty but potent) - flashboiled and peeled tomato and carrot, 1 small garlic clove, whole orange & lemon w/ peels (remove seeds), large ginger root, turmeric root (if available), fresh rosemary & thyme, 8-12 cranberries. Dinner smoothie, similar as above, but w/ leftover pulp from previously juiced foods.
4) Daily prostate massages: via Aneros hellx syn or manually. The massage is more intense if you are aroused, as your prostate swells with fluid during arousal, which may allow for more effective drainage. Know what you're doing, you only have one butthole. Use caution if you have history of hemorrhoids.
5) Hot shower or bath: works better than sitz baths IMO. Add oatmeal for skin health.
6) Acupuncture mat: get it. It's ~$200 bucks and painful at first, but worth every penny. Extraordinary pain reliever. I used "Pranamat"
7) I would also add exercise, but in my case this wasn't possible due to ankle.
8) I also did rectal suppositories and prostate supplements (pumkin seed, saw palmetto, etc), although I'm not certain how effective they were. If you've read my previous blog, you know I'm the type that believes a mix of everything is what solves the problem.

I also discovered that I had to forgo all coffee while pain was still present. Once the pain was gone for a few days, I could slowly restore my 1-cup-a-day addiction 8-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this probably means you will have to make radical changes to your diet. Let me ask you... is the prospect of being pain-free worth it? There is a drastic underestimation in the power of food and lifestyle and its relation to health in all spectra, from weight loss to chronic diseases of all types.

Finally, there seems to be more conclusive research about the link between autoimmune diseases and lack of probiotics. Countries we would call "dirty" have lower issues with autoimmune disorders due to the immune system's ability to better distinguish between bad from good. Making your own probiotics, or consuming a well-reputed, low-sugar probiotic will help with this. I made my own kefir last fall, and the results have been ASTOUNDING. 2.4 Trillion active probiotics per cup.

I hope this is helpful. I was humbly reminded how much this disease SUCKS when it hit me again, so that's why I'm giving this information to you for free. It's not a fluke. I am 90-99% pain-free down there at any given time. No NSAIDS. No Bactrim. No steroids.

There is no such thing as 100% pain-free - anyone who claims this doesn't understand pain and how the body works. Due to this condition, we have been wired to be constantly aware psychologically of pelvic floor sensations, and there will always be a random tickle or slight discomfort lasting from a few seconds to 15 minutes, usually caused by lack of circulation (prolonged sitting). It usually goes away after pressing on your perineum for a few seconds at certain pressure-points and allow fresh blood to provide 02.

Please go back and read my earlier blog to fully understand my protocol and ways to follow it. I want to help.

Be well.

-A-

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Post Re: Sprained Ankle Reawakened CP Symptoms, How I Beat it
Impressive discipline and an informative read.

Could you please provide more detail on what softball roller
you use and how to use it?

Thank you for the post.

Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 pm

racebannon wrote:
Impressive discipline and an informative read.

Could you please provide more detail on what softball roller
you use and how to use it?

Thank you for the post.

I don't believe I am permitted to post links, but if you go on Amazon and search "softball" you'll find more than enough options. Just go with one of the main brainds. A 2-4 pack of Rawlings, Franklins, or Wilsons would do just fine (in case one breaks, hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm only 145). So yeah, it's literally a softball 8-)

If you are familiar with myofascial releases, you would know that part of it is finding which spots in your hip region are tender. For me, my "sweet spot" is both sides of my hips just above the buttocks region (either the medius or tensor fasciae latae), as well as various other parts of the gluteus medius and the tendon that connects all the glute muscles together. It's also important to release all the psoas muscles, especially the illiapsoas and pectineus, which directly connect to the pelvic floor. The illiapsoas runs down the two sides of your stomach below your obliques (below belly button yet above public area) and the pectineus is deep in the upper thigh erea, although the softball can get it (search on YouTube for good exercises pertaining to these muscles). It takes a little practice, it is considerably more painful than a typical foamroller and it takes time to control the softball's movements (depending on the floor you use to foamroll it may slip a little bit). In addition, I'll also roll the upper thighs and occasionally and VERY LIGHTLY roll back in forth on the perineum.

I will usually find the sweet spot, hold it for 10-20 seconds (however long it takes for the pain to diminish), and then roll around that area in small circles, slowly enlarging the circle each time. Its similar to the pain felt and protocol taken from a deep tissue massage.

Its also REALLY important to not sit down on anything padded, as this can dramatically undo the affects of the circulation from the myofascial releases. If you must sit down, sit on something hard in a front-angled position while taking a minute or so to stand every 30-minute intervals. Prolonged sitting is not merely a symptom of CP, it is one of the root causes of it. Humans weren't meant to sit, we were meant to squat, and prolonged sitting is really bad for the prostate and its already poor drainage abilities.

Sat May 04, 2019 1:23 pm

I have used a foam roller, it might help, you basically role your butt on it very slowly. It is called myofascial release.

Sat May 04, 2019 1:33 pm

chris85 wrote:
I have used a foam roller, it might help, you basically role your butt on it very slowly. It is called myofascial release.

In my previous blog, I talk a bit more about foamrolling. It is helpful but you have to know when and how to use it. You also have to use it in a way that will test your pain thresholds a bit, especially in the more tender regions.

But it's not just foamrolling, it's everything else that you are or aren't doing along with it. I don't know you personally, but if you were anything like me, I was searching on these forums a few years ago for ONE answer.that's just not how this disease (or any disease) works. The mindsets of Western Medicine have ingrained us to think this way. It's many things.

I'm standing as I type this. I foamrolled and had a smoothie this morning. Did a p-massage last night. I did the acupuncture mat 2 nights ago. I'm about to prepare myself a salad. All my meals are prepared in a very specific way to remove antinutrients, promote omega-3s via plant-based fats, specific anti-inflammatory compounds in fruits, veggies, and a whole bunch of other nutrient-specific subtleties that go far beyond anything nutrition has every taught us. I also supplement on occasion with the usual pumpkin seed and saw palmetto. I believe there is a way out, but it's not merely one way. It's a series of interconnected ways that repairs all your bodily systems at once. I also discuss this and [what I believe is] its relationship to CP in my previous blog in more detail.

Mon May 06, 2019 1:15 pm

are you completely asymptomatic? And are you expressing fluid when you do your p-massages?

Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 pm

WS1234 wrote:
are you completely asymptomatic? And are you expressing fluid when you do your p-massages?

Hey!

So as I mentioned before, I don't believe in using the term 100% pain-free, so to answer your question under this assumption, no.

But I'm pretty damn close to it. On any given day, I average between 90-99% asymptomatic, to use your term. Today has particularly been a good day, between 97-99%. The minor subtleties often depend how long I sit down, as I work home with a sedentary job. But there is no bulging pain (golf ball effect). I haven't had abdominal pain in years (this was definitely due to the foamrolling of the illiapsoas), and hip/lower back pain is much better.

Sometimes I will notice symptoms appear (mild itching or tickling in perineum area) when I lie down before sleep. In these cases, I know it's time for a p-massage (I answer your question on this below). Afterward the symptoms are mostly gone.

But there is a catch. My protocol is a permanent lifestyle change, not a one-time fix. This means that if I slack off my routine for long enough, my symptoms can return, and have returned due to this. Symptoms can also return if your immune system has major traumatic shock --- in my case, a bad cold and sprained ankles.

There are also things that I know that if I do will trigger symptoms that I now avoid, such as sitting on anything padded, prolonged sitting, excess coffee, anything deep-fried or excessively fried (excludes pan-fried with heat tolerant oils), holding in bowels, excess omega-6, raw tomatoes that aren't skinned (why I flash-fry and skin them; also, heated tomatoes activates lycopene), lactose, gluten (soaked whole grains are fine), long periods of no exercise, wearing tight underwear, and a host of other things.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Strangely enough, no... I've never had a circumstance where I had prostatic fluid come out from p-massage; nonetheless, I still feel the urge to urinate oftentimes when it's in the right spot (sometimes you have to fiddle around with it manually, it's different for every male), so I know it's mildly draining the prostate. Most of the time I will drink water right before the massage to promote drainage, as well as find a manner of mild arousal, which swells the prostate a bit and promotes drainage.

Mon May 06, 2019 7:29 pm

For me, I am so painful now I am unable to sit, at all.
Sitting triggers my intense pain spot, it’s right up the midline

Feels like it’s 3 inches up inside the rectum, like a lump of
spasm muscle on fire. Completely debilitated from it.

I’ve had every test there is including ct scan, mri, colonoscopy,
cystoscopy, blood, urine, prostate

None of the tests reveal the root of my pain.

Have had nerve blocks, trigger point, myofascial, needling.

Have been using alcohol recently to medicate. Not good I know.

Mon May 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Going backward...

I am currently on a moderate dose of DMARD for my reactive arthritis w/ spondylitis, and alcohol is not a good mix with that, so I have been almost completely alcohol-free for the past 6 months. I'm not sure if there is a direct connection to CP, but I do believe moderate to heavy doses of alcohol severely damages the immune system.

All those therapies you mention are good, but I have a few thoughts about that: 1) the results are not immediate, 2) the results are not permanent (nor are they meant to be), and 3) these therapies are pro-circulatory stimuli, meaning they primarily impact the circulatory system by providing fresh 02 to the region. Although that is VERY helpful, CP is far more complex. Here are all the bodily systems that may be related by CP:

• an immune/autoimmune issue as neutrophils are released into the blood stream as some form of "response."
• a skeletal issue, as the neutrophils that release the chemicals of inflammation are made in your bone marrow.
• a neurological issue, as the nerve receptors receive the proinflammatory message from the immune system.
• a cerebral issue, as your immune system communicates with the brain.
• a circulation issue, as there is not enough blood flow that moves around the prostate (especially common for those who sit a lot)
• a muscular issue, as the muscle tissue associated with the pelvic floor do not function properly, likely due to poor circulation (this is very common with a majority of CP victims).
• a lymphatic issue, as the prostate is notorious for its inability to properly drain itself, perhaps causing an autoimmune response due to some unrecognized microbial activity, even if that activity is not necessarily harmful toward your body.
• a digestive issue, as what you eat and the environment you produce in your body from your diet will determine the degree of inflammation you suffer with.
• a reproductive issue, simply being that the prostate is a reproductive organ. The inflammation blocks testosterone, which in turn lowers sexual desire, which in turn lowers chances of any prostate drainage at all (unless you are doing prostate massages).

I believe you have to tackle all the possible roots to CP at the same time, and once you do this, I think you will start seeing some improvement over time. This is not one simple treatment for a simple issue. It's a radical change of one's mindset and lifestyle for a highly complex disease. I explain this more thoroughly in "A Comprehensive Guide to Effectively Treating Prostatitis."

How long you have dealt with this may also affect how long it takes for the inflammation switch to "turn off." I believe the immune system is a creature of habit.

In the meantime, have you tried using a kneeling stool? May be less painful, but you can only use it 30-45 minutes at a time. Trust me, you're better of not sitting for a while, as this further blocks circulation, especially if it's on a padded surface.

Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 am

Have you tried alternating hot and cold treatment, like hot bath followed by applying some deep freeze? I did this like all weekend and it has made a big difference I think today. I have a lot of muscle and nerve pain, I am nearly on disability because of it.

The other thing you might try is homeopathy, the mainstream says its placebo, but it isn't. It cured me of some pelvic inflammation, but made the nerve pain worse, it certainly did not seem like a placebo to me and I have tried a lot of stuff over the years. I can't say it was a good experience on the whole, but it does cure quite a few people it seems. I am trying a different guy now, we will see it that works out.

I think hemp oil (inc. CBD) or better yet cannabis oil (CBD+THC) could help muscle spasms and nerve pain. You tried that? Probably better than getting wasted. May be good to visit a physiotherapist.

Tue May 07, 2019 1:10 pm

NB. I know your response wasn't for me, but...

I tried the CBD for a while. I find it more effective with mental outlook, anxiety, stress, and sleep than with pain, but it moderately helps with that too. Nowadays I use it mostly for sleep. I know a few folks with nerve-related issues who've had some luck with CBD, but only the good brands. I use Bluebird Botanicals. Cannabis with high CBD and moderate THC content would also work pretty well.

I'm a bit skeptical about homeopathy. I don't believe it is a placebo either, but I do find the science behind it questionable. When it comes to supplying your body with the very thing that may cause you symptoms as a way of curing the problem, I find a healthy mix of live probiotic and a bee pollen supplement a more pragmatic solution. Homemade Kefir strains contain healthy strands of lactobacilli, steptococci, candida (yep!), and numerous other useful bacteria and yeasts which help modulate the immune system. Bee pollen is very good for allergies and other stimuli that may trigger immune responses (specifically inflammation). I know probiotics in relation to pelvic inflammation is a bit of a stretch, but there is some sound science behind it, specifically relating to PID in women.

BTW: most store-bought yogurts, kefirs, cheeses, and probiotic supplements are virtually useless when it comes to live active cultures. Most of them are starter powders laden with sugar, and most supplements contain ineffective prebiotics that does little to keep the probiotics active. The best way to get good probiotic foods is making them yourself (kimchi, sauerkraut, milk and water kefirs, kombucha, etc.). I felt it worth mentioning this just in case you've tried any of these but had no success.

In any case, I hope you find success on your homeopathic journey! Keep us informed!

Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm

chris85 wrote:
Have you tried alternating hot and cold treatment, like hot bath followed by applying some deep freeze? I did this like all weekend and it has made a big difference I think today. I have a lot of muscle and nerve pain, I am nearly on disability because of it.

The other thing you might try is homeopathy, the mainstream says its placebo, but it isn't. It cured me of some pelvic inflammation, but made the nerve pain worse, it certainly did not seem like a placebo to me and I have tried a lot of stuff over the years. I can't say it was a good experience on the whole, but it does cure quite a few people it seems. I am trying a different guy now, we will see it that works out.

I think hemp oil (inc. CBD) or better yet cannabis oil (CBD+THC) could help muscle spasms and nerve pain. You tried that? Probably better than getting wasted. May be good to visit a physiotherapist.

Great suggestions but:

I already do hot cold therapy. So much so that my entire
pelvic butt area is discoloured. It does help but it is no cure.

The pain clinic put me on a trial of CBD and CBD/THC oil. Of
course I’m one of about 20% of patients in which THC actually
amplified my pain. I had to give up on it.

Homeopathy I dunno but so desperate I could try it. All these
therapists are expensive.

Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Race man that is a shame the hemp did not work out for you. If I were you I'd trying a combination of magnesium and ashwagandha for muscle tension, you'll also feel relaxed and chilling out could help this thing. If you take like 1g of ashwagandha it does work well, a bit like a drug in some ways, but is gentle. There are types of magnesium that are thought to be better, it goes glycinate > taurate > threonate > malate > citrate > oxide. Maybe you tried this already, I dunno. Mg gives me insomnia, but I take ashwagandha every day for this thing.

Wed May 08, 2019 7:51 am

Chris85,

I can imagine you have figured out certain methods that work for you, but I would be VERY cautious with the ashwagandha herb. Although it helps cope with stress, ashwagandha belongs to the nightshade family. Nightshade vegetables and herbs contain high levels of lectins and other alkaloids, including various saponins, that can actually aggravate the immune system and cause it to overperform, which in turn may cause an autoimmune condition in large doses.

Being that CP just might have some correlation to an autoimmune disorder, I'd be very cautious about using "Indian ginseng" as a long-term solution. You just might be adding fuel to the fire!

I will look more into glycinate, although a diet rich in avocados, (soaked) quinoa, kale, (soaked) almonds, and dark chocolate (80%+), tofu, (soaked) beans, and bananas should also provide adequate magnesium levels.

Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 am

Ashwagandha is very safe, a few people get GI issues and it isn’t for hyperthyroidism, those are it’s contra indications. Lots of people in India and the West are taking this herb these days and if it aggravated autoimmune conditions then there would be case reports on it, but people report the exact opposite oftentimes. So if your getting your information from webmd or similar, I’d just take their view with a pinch of salt. I’ve been taking it for years on and off, but most of the last two years, this is common actually and I’ve had zero side effects.

Wed May 08, 2019 2:58 pm

thank you for all the suggestions I am very thankful
for all the help and suggestions

I have purchased a high quality ashwagandha today at
a local vitamin shop. I will start at the recommended 400 dose
and see how it goes. Regarding the night shade family: I have
taken Belladonna (herbal) and a prescription med called
Buscopan (a pharmaceutical form of Belladonna).
Belladonna is also known as “deadly nightshade”. Used as
a muscle relaxant for lower abdomen. It has helped me some
but it comes with side effects, urinary retention is one. I do not
see it as a cure.

Magnesium: I’ve actually gone rogue I take angstrom
sized liquid magnesium (ionic) rapidly absorbed. Just
started on this too.

I spoke to my pain clinic today...Regarding THC they want
me to try vaping or even smoking it for a little while. They
said it is the easiest form of ingestion with less side effects.

Wed May 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Yeah I don't notice much or anything with lower doses of ashwagandha, if I take 1g or a bit more then I feel sedated but not sleepy. I use standardised ksm66 ashwagandha from jarrow I get from amazon, but it doesn't have to be this specific form for it to work, that's just what I prefer.

Thu May 09, 2019 1:59 am

I also read a lot of horror stories about yohimbe and I have been taking it for 23 days and nothing bad has happened to me. I don't know if that happens to people who take much higher dosages or maybe sometimes is just propaganda from the rival companies. It's sad how much unreliable and misleading information you can find in the internet.

Thu May 09, 2019 9:05 am

There is definitely a climate of fear surrounding herbal medicine which mostly is propaganda intentional or otherwise. This is because of the conditioning of our Western medical system that have shunned all such medicines for 100 years. That isn't to say it isn't worth being careful and exercising common sense... Interesting Race was mentioning Belladonna, this was used by the Eclectic herbalists in the 19th century, but it is toxic at certain doses and can be v. dangerous. I thought it had fallen out of use, but it appears not and they even made a patent drug out of it. In the right hands it seems to have many medicinal properties... But most stuff I have taken, there is quite a wide range of safety, before you explode haha. Unfortunately I only succeeded in reducing the knee pain and making myself either really relaxed or really horny, but it was an interesting journey and better than what the men in white coats offered me. I don't wear a white coat anymore so this is good.

Thu May 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Not all nightshades are created equal.

It is perfectly possible that ashwaganda's good attributes beat its bad ones, and that the levels of saponins and lectins are low enough to be tolerated and disposed of by the body's natural defenses. It is also possible that supplements contain much lower levels of these antinutrients. Some folks with sensitivities to either of these things may be effected. I would discontinue it if you have any stomach upsets or bowel issues (unlikely, but these are the most reported side effects).

I would also look into maca, unless you have a history of hormone-related issues.

I would still suggest pairing your adaptogen to some form of myofascial or trigger-point release in the hip and pelvis area for the best results.

Also, it is really important to differentiate herbal/Eastern medicine with homeopathy. One has been around for thousands of years and one is a disproven pseudoscience. But yes, there is a general disregard for herbal medicine as well in this community (I talk more about this in my other blog), as there is for a huge disregard for proper nutrition (and what that actually looks like). I have a Korean wife, so I've been exposed to all sorts of Eastern medicine. For the most part, it works.

UPDATE: Lately, I've been as pain-free as I can be, short of the occasional tickle. I have actually skipped a few days of p-massage and my acupuncture mat (will probably pay for that later 8-) )

Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am

For those of you skimming this thread, I am grateful that it has received some attention and I hope some of these things are helping.

Although it is somewhat implied, it is worth mentioning that in addition to coffee, I had to eliminate all wheat, dairy, and alcohol from my diet while pain was still present. Over time, I brought back modest portions of coffee (i cup a day) and small portions of full-fat fermented dairy like yoghurt and kefir (4-6 oz a day, 2-4 times a week). Although I consume wheat on occasion, I true not to since gluten is proinflammatory, I try to stick with ancient wheat-free grains like quinoa and brown/black rice. I am on DMARD's so I can't drink alcohol, but if I weren't on the meds I would still only do it socially, and no more than 2 shots-worth.

Also, not being Vit D deficient (most of us are) is super important for prostate health.

Tue May 28, 2019 10:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]