Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Please help with urethra symptoms 

Post Please help with urethra symptoms
My old symptom is a itchy burning feeling in the end of my penis in my urethra. I have read that this is a nerve thing. Can or has anyone taken Lyrica for this? Has it helped?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am

Post Re: Please help with urethra symptoms
thisisgettingold wrote:
My old symptom is a itchy burning feeling in the end of my penis in my urethra. I have read that this is a nerve thing. Can or has anyone taken Lyrica for this? Has it helped?

Is the burning while you urinate or does it start after you finish?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:03 pm

It feels like it’s there all the time.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:42 am

Was Lyrica suggested by a physician to you? or are you considering it yourself without the suggestion(s) of a doctor or health professional? It's intended for epileptic, herpes zoster, fibromyalgia, and other patients. Since it is for pain, and neuropathic pain, it could potentially work for prostatitis-associated pain and similar pain. But there's a range of other medicines to consider before it, I think, and I think lots of doctors and professionals would also suggest other options before Lyrica. I have urethra burning and pain, every day, and lots per day. It switches between that and perineum pain, primarily.

Have you had any injuries that could've resulted in the pain? gone to a urologist or other specialization doctor and given extensive history that can bring up potential cause(s)? It's not easy to do, yet it could be closer to a viable solution than simply picking a med and trying it.

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Yes i have went to a urologist. I had the DRE exam where they massaged my prostate and looked at secretion under microscope and said it showed inflammation. Put me Cipro and didnt work. Now on a month long of doxycycline. The only pain i have is this burning in the urethra. The doctor said it could help as well as amitriptyline could help. I tried amitriptyline with no help. Is pain in the urethra nerve pain? You dont recommend Lyrica?

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:44 pm

I did go to a urologist. He did a DRE with a massage and the liquid expressed was put under a microscope and he said it showed inflammation.

I have been put on Cipro and now doxycycline for a month. Nothing has worked.

I was also on amitriptyline and that didnt work. Isnt urethra pain nerve related? You dont recommend Lyrica?

I have never had any injury.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 pm

It's not that I am against using Lyrica. It's that I read it is for other conditions, and not listed for prostatitis explicitly. It is for nerve-based pain, though, including fibromyalgia, which is itself a difficult to diagnose condition that is due to problems in the nervous system. Yet it's also considered an auto-immune disorder, I think. Why did the urologist not test for stricture? That's a primary cause of urethral burning. So are a number of STDs, or infections by certain bacterial species. I'm not a doctor.

However, I have used medicines that are intended for certain problems or illnesses to remedy or relieve a different problem or illness I was having. Usually, the problem or illness is similar in some way to those that the medicine is primarily intended for. I had horrendous tooth pain in the last month, and went to urgent care for it. I was prescribed hydrocodone (for pain), amoxicillin (to get rid of bacteria infection), and acetaminophen or similar OTC (over the counter) pain reliever. I didn't have any OTC pain reliever while taking the other two meds because I know it's not potent enough for the pain I was in. I also saved one hydrocodone in case I have a return of the tooth pain.

So, as far as Lyrica goes, I suggest trying it. Keep a record, whether written or not, of any new problems if they occur, and tell the doctor as soon as possible. Even if it's sudden headache or fever, or feeling weaker / more tired, don't wait too much to inform the doctor, and give details. The doctor can potentially prescribe something to help with the side effects, or lower dosage, or something, to prevent worsening of health.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:25 pm

No haven't tested for a stricture yet. Did you have one since you said you have the same pain? I have read many people have the constant burning pain in the tip of the penis. I also read on here that Lyrica cured someones pelvic type pain.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:02 pm

I don't know if I'd call what I've had, and have, a stricture. But I think my urethra has had narrowing, or some sort of alteration in its form / internal shape. I usually have the pain in the middle, before the tip and after the base. So, I think it is a narrowing, and it's probably from the prostatitis-associated pain and dysfunction. I've also had discharge during a bathroom trip, but it's after squeezing and pushing hard to pee and/or pass a stool. There were a few cases where I had discharge without much pushing / squeezing, and in every case of discharge, it was only a little bit. But it's worrisome because I don't know what's wrong, what it means in terms of my health. It's also disgusting and repulsive. I've never experienced bleeding or leaking blood. And strictures have that in the list. I think if there's a cause(s) of the pain other than nerve dysfunction / damage, it's narrowing of the urethra and/or the chemical content of my urine was altered to become painful to get through and may have caused damaged tissue which hasn't healed and recovered yet. It's probably in the cycle of inflammation because there's nerve reception of the inflammation or of the pain, which causes more inflammation / pain. I've had a paper cut that didn't always, constantly hurt. I would have intense pain, then low pain, then no pain, then back to intense pain. So the recurring pain is not a sign of it being a stricture, not by itself. I think it is more likely I have temporary narrowing, and then my urethra starts to heal / recover, and then inflammation and pain are triggered again, or I have difficulty going to the bathroom, or something, and it occurs again. My thought is if it can become narrower so quickly, then it can also expand quickly back to the original form. How it happens is what I'm uncertain about, or how to get it to happen.

If the doctor prescribed Lyrica, then why aren't you trying it? What are your reservations? what questions are keeping you from taking a course of it?

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:01 pm

I actually just started it yesterday. With all medications it’s the side effects that make me hesitant. Yeah I get you on the inflammation. Inflamed things take awhile to heal!

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:13 am

How's it going so far?

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]