Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Has anyone tried Samento? 

Post Has anyone tried Samento?
Hi,

I'm new here...first post, but have been reading posts here for a couple years. I've had bouts of prostatitis since my 30s (am 56 now), and a 2- or 4-week course of Cipro usually worked in the past. Last year I had an acute case that left me with continuous pain; underwent a Pudendal nerve block that eliminated the pain! But this spring I relapsed, had nearly 2 months of Cipro with "some" effect but I seem to have developed into a chronic prostatitis case. The Cipro ended 2 months ago and my symptoms are back with a vengance...and I dread going back to the urologist; I think he'll just prescribe more of "the usual" (Cipro, and Flomax--the side effects of which I really hate, so I won't take it).

Anyway...

I've just learned a little about Samento today--it's a derivative of the cat's claw herb I think, and contains chemicals related to the quinolone antibiotics. If is claimed to cure prostatitis in some people. If you look at some forums of Lyme disease suffers, apparently it has good effect for many of them.

I guess I wonder if taking it for a longer period of time (3 -6 months) might do something for chronic prostattiis. Has anyone here tried it?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Post Re: Has anyone tried Samento?
Do you mean Saw Pamento?

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 pm

No, I really do mean "Samento"--it's a specific extraction of the cat's claw herb. It's reputed to have anti-microbial properties (has some of the same chemical components as ciprofloxacin) and also anti-inflamatory properties. As I mentioned, at least the anti-microbial part can't be all bunk, as lots of people with Lyme disease take it and claim noticeable results.

My thoughts are that for people with CPPS which does have a microbial origin it might be worth a try. But then again, it might be like many of the other supplements out there--effective in only a few people, or just "snake oil".

Looks like I'm the guinea pig...I've just ordered enough to try it for a month. (For me, anything that claims to work must work within 30 days...none of this "you have to try it for 3 months" jazz, which seems like mostly a way to try to get my money.)

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 pm

i just started taking cats claw a week ago. so far i dont feel anything but maybe it takes time.
good luck to everyone!!

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]