Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Bactrim for Prostatitis (aka Co-trimoxazole) 

Post Bactrim for Prostatitis (aka Co-trimoxazole)
Hi Guys

Has anyone been successful treating their bacterial prostatitis with Bactrim (800mg/160mg twice per day)? After switching to Bactrim all of my symptoms completely cleared up by day 7 and I finished the course on day 14.

Unfortunately the symptoms then returned 3 days after stopping the Bactrim.

Looking at the list of antibiotics used to treat Prostatitis, Bactrim doens't feature highly as it doesn't penetrate the prostate well as Cipro and other fluoroquinolones. Unfortunately I've already tried Cipro and the bacteria seems to be resistant. I'm wondering if anyone has any personal accounts of taking a long dose of Bactrim (4-6 weeks?) and if it worked for them?

I'm currently on day 8 of a course of Ofloxacin (200mg twice per day) which is helping but is not getting rid of the infection as I still feel occasional mild burning.

Thanks
Simon

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:24 am

Post Re: Bactrim for Prostatitis (aka Co-trimoxazole)
do you have a confirmed infection? If so, what bacteria. That should dictate what antibotics you are taking. If you haven't confirmed infection, it could just be the anti-inflammatory effects of the antibiotics that are causing your temporary improvements.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:47 pm

I can tell you that my GP doctor started me on Bactrim for 10 days, assuming a UTI. I took Bactrim for 7 days with no benefits noted, at which point I visited a urologist for the first time. The urologist put me on Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) 500mg 2X per day for 14 days. This seemed to help, but my symptoms returned about 2 weeks after this course of treatment. The urologist's nurse practitioner then prescribed Cefdinir (a cephalosporin) for 30 days, but after picking up this medication, I was worried about starting my 3rd different antibiotic in a one month period of time. So the nurse practioner changed my prescription to Cipro, 500mg 2X/day for 30 days. I completed this course of treatment, but symptoms returned about one month later.

So, in my case I cannot say that the Bactrim helped. I am wondering now whether I should try the Cefdinir. I am getting discouraged.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:03 pm

WS1234 - Unfortunately I occasionally need to self-catheterise (occasionally I am unable to urinate, happens maybe once a month) and the infection came the day after I catheterised so I know this is bacterial. I also incorrectly used the catheter because the tip touched penis when it's supposed to be sterile before insertion (my mistake, and I inserted it anyway introducing the bacteria). My urine samples are also negative, which is frustrating because one doctor I saw didn't want to believe I had a bacterial infection when it clearly is.

Jdrbohlav - Usually after the antibiotics course has finished you'll know within a few days if the bacteria has come back. I'm surprised you were symptom free for a whole month and then it came back again. I feel very sorry for you having to deal with this coming back again and again. Have a look at this document which shows the prescribing guidelines for Prostatitis by the NHS, especially pages 4 and 9:
http://prostatitis.org/redirect.php?lin ... uideline-2

I've actually taken a lot of antiobiotics since I got the infection on 12 January. So far I've taken Cipro, Bactrim, Nitrofurantoin, Augmentin and I'm on Ofloxacin right now....

Bactrim was the ONLY one that worked but I took it for 15 days.

I'm really wondering if I should do a 6 week course of Bactrim and see if that will eradicate this permanently. I must admit I'm a bit scared right now I can't cure this.

Simon

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Be careful with prolonged courses of Bactrim. I tried that for a month or two and ended up with a terrible case of acute interstitial nephritis, which was much worse than prostatitis. Start eating yogurt and drinking kefir if you're able to.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Did the bactrim cure the prostatitis? Do you remember how long you took it and the dose?

Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 pm

I took it for two months. When I stopped, I still had symptoms of cps. A month later, those symptoms were gone and I was cured. Got reinfected though about 3 months after that from my girl. She had taken 10 days of bactrim prior to that. In my case, and probably the cases of some of the other guys here, prostatitis is probably just dysbiosis of the prostate gland. A healthy diet with no / low sugar and little carbs combined with a daily bowl of home made yogurt can help a lot. Especially if you can also work in cardiovascular exercise.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 pm

I unfortunately don't remember the dosage. You may want to ask your doctor to run cmp blood tests on you while you're taking the meds, or order that blood test online and find a lab that will do it. Keep an eye on your glomerular filtration rate, and your ast, alt liver enzymes. Those are all on a complete metabolic panel blood test.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:37 pm

My first bout was eventually cleared by Bactrim. It was months before it was completely cleared but it reduced the symptoms much sooner. As antibiotics go it’s much safer than Flouoroquinolones such as cipro,

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]