Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 How my prostatitis / pelvic floor pain was cured recently 

Post How my prostatitis / pelvic floor pain was cured recently
And I mean cured... excruciating pain so bad I could not sit long enough to drive more than fifteen minutes. I was to the point of seriously considering flying to Santa Rosa, California for Dr. Wise's clinic, but honestly couldn't bear the thought of sitting in a plane seat for the four hour flight !

As for me, age 66....have had occasional anal pain off and on for about three years....but it didn't get continuous and serious until about two weeks before Christmas when I broke up with my fiance.... major stress over that set the pain feedback loop in motion...the more it hurt, the more anxiety I felt, the more it hurt and on and on.

I saw a urologist who seemed pretty knowledgable with my past ailments but this time, in spite of no bacteria in urine, his only conclusion was a month of antibiotics and if that didn't work, *surgery* to expand my urethra diameter and possible to "scrape" out the prostate !! My mentioning to him that, from what I have read, 95% of prostatits is not due to prostate infection only got the response that I was almost certainly in the 5% group !

My cure came about not due to specifically seeking out relief from the pain but rather having a "nervous breakdown" due to lack of sleep (which was due to extreme stress) ......resulting in three days in the hospital mental ward* and getting prescribed a cocktail of three different anti depression meds.

It's now been a month since my hospital stay and I feel fantastic ! Relaxed, getting 7 hours night sleep....and ZERO pelvic floor pain ! No excercises, no massages...nothing...just the meds.

If it is allowed I will post exactly which meds/dosages I am on...with the caveat that of course what worked for me may not work for you.

=================

*I could write a long magazine article on my mental ward stay... probably the worst experience of my life...think "One Flew over Cuckoo Nest 2018"....and yet it had to happen as otherwise I'd be even more looney....

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:02 pm

Post Re: How my prostatitis / pelvic floor pain was cured recentl
Great to hear about your relief! Some of us seem to send our anxiety/stress directly to the pelvic floor, and it causes us some real issues.

Just as a public service announcement to others: you don't have to have a breakdown and go to a Mental Ward for this relief :) And actually, you don't even need medicine if you can get your anxiety under control without it. There are Physiotherapists who can help you learn to relax your pelvic floor. Also try meditation, deep breathing, and other positive practices for reducing anxiety.

Past Treatments: 6x Heparin bladder Injection. Elmiron (2x daily), Meriva Curcumin (500mg 2x daily), Physio (good!), Vistaril, Uro Prostate Massage (helpful!), Flower Pollen, Antibiotics (for about a month),

Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 am

Just as a public service announcement to others: you don't have to have a breakdown and go to a Mental Ward for this relief :) And actually, you don't even need medicine if you can get your anxiety under control without it. There are Physiotherapists who can help you learn to relax your pelvic floor. Also try meditation, deep breathing, and other positive practices for reducing anxiety.

True...but in my case I was so anxious I couldn't relax enough for any results from meditation. Hopefully now I can get the hang of it enough to wean myself off the meds. As to the mental ward...in general true also...my case perhaps was unique due to the desperation of the situation combined with it all happening over the holidays when ER became necessary.

I suppose my point is that after reading books and internet discussion on this subject it seemed quite depressing the possiblity of needing special physical therapy and mediation for years just to control the pain...and yet I cured it completely in two weeks just with inexpensive meds.

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:12 am

well feel free to please tell us what meds you are taking.........

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:09 pm

Sertraline 50mg
Buspirone 15mg
Olanzapine 2.5mg

One each per day, at bedtime (aids with sleep also)

Don't know if all three are necessary to achieve enough pelvic floor muscle relaxation* to get back to normal, but if I had to pick one, I suspect the Olanzapine has the most effect.

Unfortunately that one also has the most annoying side effect, which is weight gain. Interestingly the major way that happens is that foods that once just tasted "good" now taste "orgasmically good" ! LOL... so I have to force myself to limit deserts for example. Having said that, 2.5mg is so low a dose the weight gain effect is probably not an issue for most adults.

=========

*Most likely the effect is not muscle relaxation directly but indirectly via mental anxiety relief... a calm mind results in a calm rear end...

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]