Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Help please, Urethritis/Prostatitis after Sex, Enterococcus 

Post Help please, Urethritis/Prostatitis after Sex, Enterococcus
After unprotected sex (end of 2016), I had burning while peeing & a white discharge in the mornings. Went to the urologist, got doxycycline and cefixime.
Problem in hindsight is that I should have done a urine and sperm test before taking any antibiotics.
Didn't help, so he made tests checking sperm and urine. Got put on Ciprofloxacin 5 days 250mg twice a day. Problems went away but came back shortly after. Then I got another 8 days of Ciprofloxacin 500mg twice a day. Same as before, went away but came back. Then my urologist didn't know anymore and I found an--other one.
Got tested again, Enterococcus faecalis and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Have taken some rounds of other antibiotics (fosftomycin, azythromycin, sultamicilin & metronidazole) of which none helped, not even during the time taking it.The discharge went away but the problem was the burning while peeing (especially in the mornings). Drinking much water vanished the burning for the day. Semen/Urine tests showed high leukocytes but no bacteria/ sometimes enterococcus faecalis. In one of them in the middle of 2017 they found one time mycoplasma, but all the other tests before and after came back negative for it.
--------
Then 2018 I got a cystoscopy done where nothing unusual was found. After the cystoscopy I started to get pain in the bladder/prostate. The doctor didn't know what to do and set me on another round of Doxycycline. Didn't help.
The cystoscopy was my a huge mistake. Before I only had some burning while peeing in the mornings. After I had bladder/prostate the entire time, day and night. Even makes me get up some time during nights. Got some more antibiotics (bactrim, amoxicillin)
Read a lot on forums etc., tried lots of herbal supplements (zinc, saw palmetto, bromelain, quercetin, broccoli broth, cur cumin, garlic, bee pollen). Nothing really helped, at most a bit soothing of the problems.
Changed the diet, no more meat, caffeine, alcohol, cigarets, gluten and spicy foods. Didn't help.
Again took tests of semen/urine/blood. As before urine was all negative, sperm showed Enterococcus faecalis and blood showed that I had mycoplasma in the past.
---------------
Story in short: Unprotected sex end of 2016 which led urethritis. Many antibiotics, nothing cured it. Then 2018 cystoscopy which resulted in prostatitis.
Some doctors say that it is due to the enterococcus faecalis others that it might be some STD (mycoplasma or chlamydia) which is testing false negative.

End of 2018 I did another test of semen which again showed:
Enterocococcus faecalis ca.10.000/ml
Leuco-Elastase +++ ( > 500 μg/l)
everything else negative.

Culture showed, Moxifloxacin intermediate (so not perfect, as not S)

Now I'm taking Moxifloxacin + NAC, but after 24 out of 28 days the symptoms still persist (maybe slightly less).
Should I ask for a longer therapy, as I read that some get cured using it for 6weeks or longer.

Anyone got rid of Enteroccocus faecalis, any suggestions?
Anyone tried Autovaccines, shock-wave therapy or phage treatment?

I'm sure the whole thing is bacterial, as it immediately started after unprotected sex, with discharge, etc. Then also it moved up to the prostate when I had the cystoscopy.
Have no idea what else I could do now and my doctor has ran out of ideas too. :(
Totally desperate for a cure.

So far taken:
Urethritis: end of 2016 - 2017
Cefixime 800mg one time, 1 day
Doxycyline 100mg, twice daily, 3 days
Ciprofloxacin 250mg, twice daily, 5 days *
Ciprofloxacin 500mg, twice daily, 8 days *
Azithromycin 1500mg, one time, 1 day
Sultamicilin, 375mg, twice daily, 10 days
Metronidazol 400mg, twice daily, 7 days
Fosftomycin, 300mg, every 2nd day, for 3 times

Prostatitis after cystoscopy 2018- ongoing
Doxycyline 100mg, twice daily, 10 days
Trimethoprim 100mg, twice daily, 15 days
Amoxicilin 875mg, twice daily, 10 days
currently on Moxifloxacin 400mg, once daily,

* while taking Cipro, all symptoms, discharge, pain, etc. disappeared. But as I read about the side-effects and felt some pain in my legs, I stopped it early and didn't take anymore fluoriquone antibiotics until January 2019.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Post Re: Help please, Urethritis/Prostatitis after Sex, Enterococ
One week after my 4 week Moxifloxacin treatment has passed. Side effects are moderate, my legs feel like I had a major hike yesterday, but that seems to be my only side effects so far.

The urethra pain, burning while peeing, seems to be gone for now. Pain in prostate/bladder area still there.

Been back at the doctor since and he's the next doctor who's out of ideas.

Now not sure what to do as next step, some considerations are:
- Phage therapy,
- Autovaccine,
- Prostate Injections, or
- intravenous Antibiotics treatment.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 pm

My circumstances were about identical to yours. Unprotected sexual encounter....symptoms were the same, right down to the morning white discharge and enterococcus (which I think was just a red herring). You've been on about as many abxs as I was on too. You could search for my original thread "Prostatitis Won't Die" and read it, the short version is that in the end it was just time that cured it. 3.5yrs or so in my case. I'm still 100% symptom free.

The dumbest thing about the whole experience for me was taking all the abxs. I am still dealing with GI problems from them 1.5yrs after having taken my last dose. I would be very careful if I were you. It's especially dangerous to mix multiple types in a short timespan. That's when you start having to worry about C-diff. And that's a lot worse than prostatitis trust me.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Why do you think that the enterococcus is a red herring?

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 am

Because I don't think it had anything to do with my condition. I treated the hell out of it with abxs abd it never helped my symptoms. Then randomly more than a year after I finished taking any abxs my prostatitis just went away all on its own.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:23 am

Maybe the enterococcus went away for some reason. Some infections gets cleaned with time or life changes.

I suspect that it is an infection because it feels like it to me. But it is a shame that the urologists couldn't tell me for sure if the bacterias found in my tests are the cause or not. They should research it seriously. It is not difficult. They pick a group of males and see if the enterococcus have any relation to the symptoms.

I feel that they don't care about us. One urologist told me with a derogatory tone: "When we open the prostates they are all infected". So why is that? I mean, if you open a prostate is because it was already sick. How can you say that it is normal for a prostate gland to be infected?

They prescribe dangerous antibiotics without knowing if the bacteria found in the samples is the cause or if it is normal flora (I think it's not, because enterococcus faecalis is a bacteria from the gut and the prostate should not be its place). Enterococcus faecalis causes diseases in another parts of the body, I don't see why the prostate could be different.

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:16 am

Unfortunately my problems are still there. After I had 4 weeks Moxilfoxacin in January, I did another set of cultures urine after prostate massage/ swab/ ejaculate.

As I'm currently seeing two different doctors, I've had them done by both (around middle of February). At one of them nothing at all came out, the other one found Streptoccocus viridans.
Enterococcus faeclis wasn't found anymore this time. (Hasn't been the first time though that it disappeared only to show up again in the next culture. )

So now the doctor wanted to prescribe me Moxifloxacin, which I already had taken 4 weeks in January. So as an alternative he said Clindamycin for a month.

Now I'm not sure what to do, pain and problems still there, and suddenly there is a new bacteria found, that hasn't been there for the past 2.5 years.

Wonder wether to take the Clindamycin for a month now, as I've already taken soooooo many antibiotics and none of them helped so far. Besides not even sure if it's the bacteria that's causing the problem, as it hasn't showed up before.

Any suggestions what to do next? Really getting desperate. :(

Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:28 pm

They found staph in my semen test at one point, then enterococcus. I'm mostly in remission now, antibiotics didn't help much. The only one that did was rocephin, and when that ended, symtoms came back. They fade over time, especially if you work on your immune system.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:52 am

most urinary tracts have bacteria in them, and most men don't have pain. If the pain isn't reacting to antibiotics, its time to let go of the bacterial theory and start testing out non-bacterial treatments.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi

When the bacteria reaches the prostate it requires long courses of antibiotics in order for the infection to go away. When you took the Cipro the first time, the symptoms went away. This means, the cipro successfully killed enough of the bacteria to make you symptom free, but then when you stopped taking the Cipro the bacteria, deep in the prostate, were able to come back again.

At this point your first urologist should have prescribed a 4 to 6 week course of 500mg of Cipro twice per day which is the usual prescription for prostatitis.

I would recommend that you take Cipro for 6 weeks (if you're able to handle it) and that should work for you.

I wouldn't take other anitibiotics at this stage, because you have already proven that the bacteria you have respond to the Cipro, and always with Prostatitis you need a long course as the prostate gland is hard to penetrate.

Good luck.
Simon

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks for your reply Simon!

I Had 5 days of Cipro 250mg and then another 10 days of 500mg. Unfortunately I had side effects, pain in my tendons, so didn't want to risk It and quit on the 8th day of 500mg. So taking it for 4-6 weeks wouldn't wanna risk it.
Moxifloxacin I had taken for 4 weeks, but didn't help, side effects were there too but not as bad.

----------------------------------------------

So I now had another test done at a urological clinic 2 weeks ago, they pre prostate massage and after prostate massage urine sample.

Now they found Ureaplasma. I really wonder how they find it now and couldn't find anything the last 2 years. Also how come the Moxifloxacin didn't get rid of it.

Anyone here dealt with Ureaplasma and got rid of it?

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 pm

You need to see my thread. I dealt with ureaplasma/mycoplasma hominis - killed them both but left with prostatitis.

The sooner you tackle this the better.

Tue May 07, 2019 12:41 pm

After numerous antibiotics, the only thing that got rid of EF for me was fosfomycin, look at my previous posts.

Wed May 22, 2019 8:56 am

Hey Guys!

So I have been to another urology clinic, because it had 3 months wait for the appointment and it was scheduled already. So even though the other one had already found, I went to this one as well.

So now the one urology clinic in March found Ureaplasma.

The one I went to in April, found that I have Ureaplasma Parvum and Mycoplasma hominis in ejaculate and also in pre/post massage urine.

Strange that at all the normal urologists where I had these tests taken it didn't show up at all. Even in the first urology clinic only the Ureaplasma showed in the post massage urine.
Now it shows even before the massage and also shows Mycoplasma.

now the problem:

once again they prescribed me with Doxycline for 10 days.... I have already taken that before twice and twice it didn't work at all.

Now I don't know what to do, the one clinic prescribed me Azithromycin for the Ureaplasma, the other one Doxycicline for Mycoplasma/Ureaplasma. Both of these antibiotics I've already taken without success.

starting to get really desperate :( any suggestions?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:50 pm

@ CerveloUK

As far as I know, you have taken the Fosfomycin for 6 weeks. Did your symptoms get better after this? Do have checked the ecajulate again for bacteria after the Fosfomycin? How is it going now?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Did you have sex during the last years? Strange they can find ureaplasma and mycoplasma now and not before.
Were your previous tests PCR or culture?
Did they do an antibiogram to see which antibiotics work?
Did you have ever elevated leucoytes in urine or urethra swab?

I read that ureaplasma parvum and mycoplasma usually don’t really cause symptoms in men.
Ureaplasma urealyticum could cause issues.

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:21 am

Only protected sex the last 2 years. Had done all the tests with PCR before, swaps, urine, post massage urine, sperm.

There isn't an antbiogram.

Went to my local urologist yesterday to discuss the findings of the urology clinic and he prescribed me erythromycin. Yet I read in several academic texts that Mycoplasma Hominis are resistant to erythromycin. :roll:

At the beginning of problems, I always had elevated leucocytes in urine, at the moment it doesn't show elevated leucocytes.

The pH of the ejaculate is 8,8 so much higher than the normal range, which may indicate an infection.

No idea what to do from here, been to so many different doctors and urologists. and always waiting for the appointments in between makes It a never ending story.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]