Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Beta Sitosterol update 

Post Beta Sitosterol update
I started Beta Sitoseterol in late October taking 60mg twice per day. Doubled that dose after 2 weeks. Went to 180mg twice a day after 3 weeks. So after a little over a month on it here is what I’ve found. Before starting it I was probably up 5 times a night urinating. Now I am only up 2 times a night. My prostate pain, which wasn’t severe but in the evening would hover around 5 on the pain scale is now down to 1 or not noticeable. As I mentioned in a different thread this change takes place slowly and it requires you to take it under the conditions it’s been tested in trials. This is a cheap supplement when you consider what we spend on this condition. Side effects are rare so there really is no reason not to try it.

Last edited by Madcap on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Post Re: Beta Sitoseterol update
Thanks for sharing, glad you are doing well.

What brand of Beta-Sitosterol do you recommend?

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:48 pm

I see there is β-Sitosterol in pumpkin seeds. I will be trying pumpkin extract on Friday.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 pm

Moelicious wrote:
Thanks for sharing, glad you are doing well.

What brand of Beta-Sitosterol do you recommend?

I am using Pure. The reason being they come in 60mg capsules allowing greater flexibility in dosing, plus it’s a reputable brand.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi there, Madcap:

Nocturia (waking to urinate) is currently my worst symptom. So when I saw your post here on Beta-Sitosterol I wanted to test it out and see if it might help me with that.

When I tried some last week, I was already on 500 mg/day Quercetin-which is only half the recommended dosage-- and the same amount Bromelain. That combo I'd say WAS helping. Urinary flow was optimal BUT awakening from sleep (nocturia) was at ~50%. GI side effects from the Quercetin were quite annoying-but tolerable, though that was preventing me from upping to the optimal dose.

Unfortunately, I tested out the possibility of adding Beta Sitosterol to that Quercetin/Bromelain regimen by using a concoction called BP-Q Max by Farr Labs. Not a good idea to use a concoction, as I found out.. A 460 Mg tablet of that BP-Q Max concoction is 40% Beta Sitosterol, 45% Saw Palmetto extract, plus smaller amounts Pygeum Africanum, and flower pollen. So about 184 Mg Beta Sitosterol for a first dose along with the other ingredients they added AND along with the Quercetin/Bromelain combo I was already taking. That very first dose alone provoked bad enough GI distress that I was ill for a full week! The lower GI distress was qualitatively and quantitatively different than what I was already enduring on the Quercetin. Way worse! I am able to tell those apart..

Because the Beta Sitosterol I tried was not at its lowest level, and because it was in a form mixed with several other phyto-nutrients, AND because I was already on the Quercetin/Bromelain combo, I cannot really conclude I won't be able to manage Beta Sitosterol. But perhaps my approach need be different. I do have the 60mg capsules by Pure you suggested

Meanwhile for the time being, I stopped everything including the Quercetin/Bromelain a few days ago. I had read your post elsewhere about advisability of taking breaks from Quercetin. So I figured a few days off now might be good idea. And it should let GI symptoms subside.. Within only a few days the nocturia and urinary difficulties came back to the dismal level they were during those months before starting Quercetin.

My inclination now is to go back to the Quercetin/Bromelain combo I was on before. It was working before, partially. So hopefully, it will still work when i resume..As for the recommended break, I'm hoping 5 days off Quercetin might be long enough. I sure hope to get some relief by the holidays! It had kicked in in a matter of days when I had first started. I'm now eager to resume

Not sure how to approach the Beta Sitosterol issue here. Should I just assume that I'm too sensitive for it, and not bother with this modality? Or should I risk a lower dose and see if I can inch my way up? Might there even be an adverse interaction between Quercetin and any one of the ingredients in that BP-Q Max concoction I foolishly risked?

Or perhaps there's another approach to nocturia altogether?

Any thoughts or suggestions on all this?

~elias

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:09 am

Elias, Well first I’m glad to hear the Quercetin/Bromelain combo helped you. As for Beta S, it’s rare to have side effects from it, even in high doses, so I will put the blame on the Saw Palmetto. Saw tears up my stomach at any dose. I tried it in various amounts years ago and always the same results, plus fact is there isn’t any honest research behind Saw no matter what you see on the internet. Personally I think it’s a waste of money as far as prostate symptoms go but that’s just my opinion.

I actually just started back on Quercetin last night. So I’m taking it in combination with Beta, but not at the same time. I take the Quercetin hours after the Beta, but so far I haven’t noticed any negative reactions and I’m now up to 300mg twice a day on the Beta. My advice is try the Beta in a low dose to start allowing some time to elapse between it and the Quercetin. Then if you still have problems just stick to the routine that was working for you previously.

Remember that Beta isn’t something you will notice immediate results from, and in order for it to bind to the prostate you need to take it at least 2 hours before or after you eat. You won’t see those directions on most bottles for some reason. If you take Beta with a meal it will not work for prostate symptoms. Taking it with food will help lower cholesterol. So it has 2 benefits depending on how you take it.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Do not consume the BP-Q max any more. Stay off of it for 2-3 weeks at least before considering to use it again. Quercetin is in saw palmetto, so you're getting too much; when it's from multiple sources and one is a combination pill/capsule, the digestive system is working too hard to break it down and isolate the constituents you're trying to get from it all. The low dose is not going to be noticeable most likely, so it causes a disconnect from results and the evidence necessary to increase it sufficiently without, again, too much. Stop all quercetin, stop bromelain for a few days, and then start a moderate dose of beta-s. If it works within a week, restart the quercetin / bromelain and continue for a few days, and if no problems and still working / improving, continue both. If not, go from there. This can create a basis for detecting which (beta-s or Q/B) is causing a problem within a reasonable frame of reference (two weeks).

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Thank you, Madcap and Presto:

I'll hold off for a while on the Beta S. until im stabilized back again on the Quercetin/Bromelain combo.

Madcap: The benefits from the Quercetin/Bromelain had been ongoing for me since mid-September on half the therapeutically recommended dosage. There was a slight dip in its effectiveness when I was in GI distress due to that BP-Q Max Beta S. concoction. But that might have been due to the IBS being activated strongly then. Prostate symptoms get worse when that happens. Upon reading your post about taking Quercetin breaks, I decided to go off everything for a while and see where things now stand.

Been off Quercetin for 5 days and urinary symptoms are back to baseline, which isnt a good place to be. Some GI symptoms still remain , but not as bad as last week. You did mention 2 week breaks from Q. Is that primarily your own experience or is there some research out there on this? Reason I'm asking is I'd like to go back on the Q/B regimen tonight

Thanks again
~elias

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 pm

elias wrote:
Thank you, Madcap and Presto:

I'll hold off for a while on the Beta S. until im stabilized back again on the Quercetin/Bromelain combo.

Madcap:Been off Quercetin for 5 days and urinary symptoms are back to baseline, which isnt a good place to be. Some GI symptoms still remain , but not as bad as last week. You did mention 2 week breaks from Q. Is that primarily your own experience or is there some research out there on this? Reason I'm asking is I'd like to go back on the Q/B regimen tonight

Thanks again
~elias

Elias, the break is just my own experience. Doubt there is a standard break that would apply to everyone so you would have to base it off how you feel. Another point is although it’s more expensive in most cases to buy individual supplements it’s better in the long run because you can easily change up amounts until you find the right one or determine that you need to move onto something else. Again Beta S rarely causes side effects even in high doses so I doubt very much that was the problem. Saw on the other hand can cause all types of reactions so with your history you should stay away from it as well as all the ‘kitchen sink’ formulas marketed as one size fits all. As you are only taking half the recommended dose of Quercetin/Bromelain I don’t see a problem starting it back.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:08 pm

I suggest two weeks to allow quercetin to decrease, and to notice the resulting change. It's not in my personal experience because I only tried quercetin pills once for a short duration and didn't notice much difference, at least enough to convince me to continue it. I'm considering trying it again, but other nutrients are what I'm thinking of taking first.

I also thought two weeks because it's time frame in which it's less likely to forget how it was immediately before stopping. Similar to stopping a cold medicine or allergy meds, and even anti-inflammatories. The problem I have with a combo med such as the Q/B or the BP-Q Max is absorption. It's similar to multi-vitamins. It's strongly advised by some nutritionists and doctors to opt for individual vitamins / minerals over multi-vitamins.

Only a few particular nutrients are said to be best combined in a capsule / pill: certain B vitamins (B1, niacin, B12, and a few others). Despite those, it would probably help to go off all of it and see what happens. But not for long, I would safely think. Beta sitosterol isn't the only -sterol for health. I suggest doing a bit of research, and can provide a link to an article with some information through pm.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Presto:

I take the Quercetin separately in 250 mg tablets. The Bromelain separately as well as chewable tablets.

The only combo pill I took was that one tablet of BP-QMax by Farr labs. Which I took about 10 days ago and got sick from. That contains no Quercetin nor Bromlain. Though some of their other prostate products do contain those. This one did not

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Presto wrote:

Quote:
Beta sitosterol isn't the only -sterol for health. I suggest doing a bit of research, and can provide a link to an article with some information through pm.

Sure, feel free to PM any link if you think it might help me. The more options I have the better. But I generally take as few medicines--complementary or standard--as possible at any given time

~elias

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Another update. I’m soon approaching 5 months with Beta Sitoseterol. At this point in my opinion of all the supplements mentioned here, including ones I have previously recommended and taken, this is the one supplement all men should be taking for long term prostate health. It’s without question the safest for the majority of the population, and side effects are minor or non existent for most. It also continues to be the most overlooked and pretty much ignored because I guess it’s considered boring in comparison to all the flashy exotic substances we have at our disposal. The fact that it requires patience and doesn’t work immediately also ends up discouraging people from staying with it, which is essential in order to reap the benefits. You can’t go on and off it. It requires a lifetime commitment. It has to be a daily ritual. It has to be taken correctly in order to effect the prostate. That means regardless of instructions you might see on the package you have to take this on an empty stomach, allowing at least 2 hours before you eat, or take it a couple of hours after you eat. If you take it with food the body will use it in a completely different way, which isn’t going to help you if the idea is to effect the prostate.
I wish I had went on this 20 yrs ago, because I’m sure I could have been helped that much more and saved myself a lot of miserable days, weeks and months, but still it’s never too late even for someone my age. Again it won’t help you immediately, although some men say they notice it much sooner than others, but get on it and stay on it, it’s cheap compared to most supplements so there is no reason for most men not to be taking it. My opinion.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Post Re: Beta Sitosterol update
So happy to hear Beta Sitosterol is working so well for you. And thank you so much for these updates and optimal use instructions!

I'm assuming the brand "Pure" is same one reading "Pure Encapsulations"?..I have that brand in front of me now and eager to get started soon

As mentioned earlier in the thread I had some adverse reactions to it, but didnt know if it was from the Beta, the Saw Palmetto (bundled into that Farr Labs brand) the Quercetin, or the Bromelain. So I had discontinued all of these late December. As it turns out, it may have not been due to any of those. Gastroenterlogist found H.Pylori infection with gastritis via endoscopy and was convinced that might be a major cause of the distress. He felt i likely had this infection from childhood..

I just completed arduous course of multiple meds including 2 antibiotics for this infection. And will test in four weeks to see if eradicated. I'll still need to go slow on any supplements because of the IBS-which is incurable. Meanwhile, I'm back on Quercetin/Bromelain at only half the recommended dose (500mg each/daily). Doing fine so far- prostatitis symptoms slowly improving. And will see if this time I can up it to at least 750 mg.

Once I stabilize at 750mg, I'll then start on the Beta S. Maybe only 60 mg at first, then increase it incrementally. As i said earlier in thread, Nocturia is the most recalcitrant of these symptoms for me. I rarely get continuous sleep these days because of this. So the Beta might be helpful approach.

Congratulations on your steady progress with this and thanks again for the details on how best to use this supplement. I'm generally apprehensive about taking anything on empty stomach. But maybe now that I'm cured of H.Pylori, it might go easier on me

Best wishes

~elias~

Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Post Re: Beta Sitosterol update
elias wrote:
So happy to hear Beta Sitosterol is working so well for you. And thank you so much for these updates and optimal use instructions!

I'm assuming the brand "Pure" is same one reading "Pure Encapsulations"?..I have that brand in front of me now and eager to get started soon

As mentioned earlier in the thread I had some adverse reactions to it, but didnt know if it was from the Beta, the Saw Palmetto (bundled into that Farr Labs brand) the Quercetin, or the Bromelain. So I had discontinued all of these late December. As it turns out, it may have not been due to any of those. Gastroenterlogist found H.Pylori infection with gastritis via endoscopy and was convinced that might be a major cause of the distress. He felt i likely had this infection from childhood..

I just completed arduous course of multiple meds including 2 antibiotics for this infection. And will test in four weeks to see if eradicated. I'll still need to go slow on any supplements because of the IBS-which is incurable. Meanwhile, I'm back on Quercetin/Bromelain at only half the recommended dose (500mg each/daily). Doing fine so far- prostatitis symptoms slowly improving. And will see if this time I can up it to at least 750 mg.

Once I stabilize at 750mg, I'll then start on the Beta S. Maybe only 60 mg at first, then increase it incrementally. As i said earlier in thread, Nocturia is the most recalcitrant of these symptoms for me. I rarely get continuous sleep these days because of this. So the Beta might be helpful approach.

Congratulations on your steady progress with this and thanks again for the details on how best to use this supplement. I'm generally apprehensive about taking anything on empty stomach. But maybe now that I'm cured of H.Pylori, it might go easier on me

Best wishes

~elias~

Yes you have the correct brand, and I chose it not only because it’s reliable but the low dose gives you a greater flexibility in using it. I now take 5 capsules in the early morning and 5 more late in the evening. My flow is much better, the feeling of swelling/inflammation in the prostate is completely gone. I agree I doubt it caused any of your gastrointestinal problems. Best of luck and let us know how you are progressing.

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]