Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Medical procedures 

Post Medical procedures
A doctor asked me if I have done

urine culture,
Stamey meares cultures,
transrectal ultrasound

Has anyone done these procedures ?
What is Stamey meares culture?

I have done urethral swab culture
And sperm culture which revealed enterococcus faecalis and mycoplasma hominis
And staphylococcus

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Post Re: Medical procedures
The Stamey Meares culture was a standardized procedure to test for bacterial prostatitis. There's a 2-glass and a 4-glass, I think. Or only one of those. A urine culture? Isn't it simply a basic urinalysis. If it's more than that, it's probably extensive testing, or sent to a lab and not only examined at the urology office lab. Transrectal ultrasound is an internal ultrasound that looks for various problems, one of which is inflammation. I've only had the basic urine culture done, not sent to an external lab. I wanted to have the extensive one done, but I heard so much that it's not effective at revealing bacteria and identifying actual pathogen(s). I read somewhere that the Stamey Meares is not in common use anymore, but I'm not sure about that. I haven't had a TRUS because I don't think it would reveal much, and could be too risky in terms of causing worse problems. I don't see how an ultrasound would detect a bacterial pathogen, but supposedly it can reveal biofilms and it's also capable of showing lesions / tissue damage / if organs are too close / calcifications and such.

The 3 bacteria you listed are all known pathogens of prostatitis. They're also said to be part of the normal flora.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Thank you very much.

They are normal flora in urethra? I starts having problems 6 months after anal intercourse (unprotected)

So I'm sure enterococcus came from anal jntercourse (silliest mistake of my life )

Not I have all sorts of problems, my tedticles hurt, they hand more than usual, erection problems, redness and sometimes urine problems

So that smear thing what does it analyze prostatic fluid?

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:41 pm

I am highly doubtful your prostatitis is bacterial from anal intercourse if it took six months to materialize. You're searching for a connection that isn't there. You have no idea if your enterococcus is from anal. Where'd my enterococcus come from in my semen if I have never had anal sex?

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:14 am

If you did vaginal sex with a woman who previously did anal with her ex
Then you will have it too

My ex had it and her partner now has it
You can get it from a female who has done anal in the past

I'm 100% sure of it

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:27 am

anything might be possible

all these pathogens creeping around in our private parts, yet in these cases it does not match with any medical test/std test.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Often had unprotected anal sex years before this problem, never had problems.

Now I had vaginal sex, and my cultures show Enterococcus faecalis. My doctor tells me that it's not the pathogen that's causing my prostatitis. Rather he says it could be mycoplasma which just doesn't appear in my test results anymore, false-negative.
Not sure what to think as problems don't go away even after many antibiotics.

presto423 wrote:
The 3 bacteria you listed are all known pathogens of prostatitis. They're also said to be part of the normal flora.

Is mycoplasma part of the normal flora as well?

@ryan92 how did you get rid of the mycoplasma hominis?

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm

I haven't had anal sex in my life and my cultures have showed enterococcus faecalis several times. And I suspect that it is the cause of my chronic prostatitis but I don't know how it got there. We need more research about it.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:47 am

Chavalote wrote:
I haven't had anal sex in my life and my cultures have showed enterococcus faecalis several times. And I suspect that it is the cause of my chronic prostatitis but I don't know how it got there. We need more research about it.

I totally agree with this, I can't work out any reason for the problems I have, yet my last 4 semen samples have all come back with enterococcus faecalis.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]