Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tramadol 

Post Tramadol
Anyone had experience with Tramadol or Ultracet (Tramadol with Tylenol). I've been told by my pain clinic to try Ultracet (37.5mg Tramadol; 325mg Tylenol) 2 pills every 4-6 hrs, max 6 pills/day (that way the Tramadol component doesn't go to far above 200mg/day, to avoid addiction, albeit max allowable is 400mg per day). Although this is a mild opioid, the risks are addiction, tolerance (needing to take more to get same pain relief), and constipation. So far, I've only taken the Ultracet sporadically, and although I have not taken enough to experience any of the aforesaid side effects, it really doesn't provide much relief. I am toying with trying pure Tramadol 100mg ER (extended release), and taking 2 x 325mg Tylenol with it. Tramadol and Tylenol both apparently work better if taken together, hence you often see them combined in one pill (e.g., Ultracet). Anyone had any success or concerns with taking Tramadol? Any recommendations as to dosage, type, risk of above issues, is "extended release" version more effective or better to get more instant relief from non-ER version, etc.? Thx in advance.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Post Re: Tramadol
If you see my thread '2 years and getting desperate', I've listed the meds I've been taking for my pain. I've taken many of the common treatments, amitriptyline, duloxetine etc. The only things that's provided any relief at all is tramadol. For me there is no addiction. I've had to come off tramadol as it interacts with an Antibiotic I'm currently taking (Linezolid). No withdrawals whatsoever for the last 2 weeks. The only imapct is the increased pain again. I took 6-8 tablets a day (300-400mg). I'm just waiting for these abx to go from my system before I can restart the tramadol.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:40 am

Many thx, Lux_d. You may be my saving grace. I'll def checkout your old post (actually I recall having read it before), but in the meantime please, please elaborate on exactly what type and amount of Tramadol you take. I've been using Ultracet (each pill has 37.5mg Tramadol, 325mg Tylenol) 2 pills x up to 3 times per day, albeit very sporadically, cause of fear of constipation and tolerance (addiction, and need to take more and more to get same benefit). Tramadol and Tylenol supposedly work better if taken together. These pills really don't do much for me. I see from your post you take 100mg Tramadol 96-8 pills per day). Is this the istant/regular or extended release formula? Pure Tramadol or do you supplement with Tylenol (325mg up to 8 a day) as I suspect that you do, or is the Tramadol better if taken on its own? Please specify exact prescription so I don't screw it up.

In terms of your post, I will offer you some insights, as I have suffered with this dreaded disease for 19+ years and counting. I have no magic solutions but will share what I know and you can ask any questions you like. I'll respond to your post instead of here.

Thanks again.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Rocky,

I'm just taking plain old Tramadol Hydrochloride 50mg pills. My doc say to take them when needed. I try to restrict myself to 3x2 a day (300mg total) but sometimes 4x2 (800mg). These are not the extended release variants, just the instants. I've no adverse side effects either. My GP kept telling me I'd formed an addiction (been taking them for over a year now). I insisted I hadn't. Anyway stopping them for these last 2 weeks have not caused me any problems at all. Hope that helps, but I suppose we are all different.

Good luck mate and thanks for the update on my post.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Thx Lux_d. Yeah my GP was resistant to give me even Ultracet due to potential addiction, and only gave me a limited supply, but I'm gonna press for Tramadol. Any constipation issues with Tramadol? Do you supplement with other pain killers like Tylenol? Dosage of Tylenol?

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Rocky007,

No constipation issues with Tramadol. I don't take Tylenol either.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:40 am

Wow, just 300-400mg/day of Tramadol, and your able to go to work and function with all of that pain you described? Impressive. I'm def gonna give it a try.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Have any of you ever had more serious side effects from taking Tramadol? I was on hydrocodone for tooth pain, and it actually relieved some of the pelvic and head/neck pain I had too. The only side effect I had was a bit of increased tiredness/fatigue. But even that was different from the usual fatigue I get. It was much more comfortable and didn't make me as dysfunctional. I'm just not buying into the idea that it's highly addictive or dangerous. I don't think that about the Ativan I take either.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:50 am

The pain is till there, even with tramadol. It just takes the edge off a little. Not sure about functioning, I really just mange to scrape by. But things continue to worsen for me - in fact I may not be able to continue like this unless I get an improvement from a PN block.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]