Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Pain tolerance 

Post Pain tolerance
To those who have dealt with prostate issues for an extended period of time, curious if you’ve noticed a difference in your ability to tolerate pain? In this latest bout I’ve had a few days, yesterday being one, I have had an extended period of pain but I have taken nothing for it. Years ago I would not have done that or even thought of it, but now I seem to be able to ride it out. The pain eventually just stops. Not saying I don’t feel it but for some reason I can now withstand it much better.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Post Re: Pain tolerance
Yeah, I've experienced that too, lately actually. I notice that in working out, and in dealing with stress. It seems like something is off.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Presto, same thing happened tonight. Pain/ache started up after dinner. Didn’t eat anything unusual so couldn’t of had anything to do with diet. It just came on gradually and lasted about 3 hours. Didn’t take anything and now it’s 90 percent gone.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:43 pm

I get sudden onset / increase of pain in my perineum, and elsewhere. It's not as frequent as it used to be. It's almost always swollen/sore/hyper-sensitive though. I think one of the causes is how I sit, and I was talking to my therapist about this, and she thinks so. I have a curvature in my spine vertically most of the time, and it pulls on my back and shoulder and neck muscles. This causes tightness and tension in my lower back and sides, and in my lower abs, which then causes or at least exacerbates perineum pain. It's not the only cause. When I go to therapy I get relief, and my muscles tighten within two days often.

Do you take pain medicine?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Presto, I have a slight curve in my spine as well. Also arthritis in the lower spine. As for pain medicine no I don’t take anything other than the occasional ibuprofen or tylenol. I didn’t experience any pain yesterday and today it’s very minor. Nothing I would notice if I was busy.
Odd though how it comes on and goes away without me taking anything. It doesn’t feel like a spasm as I’ve had those in the past. Exercise always makes me worse unfortunately.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Exercise makes mine worse too. It's sometimes not immediately after exercising though. It's often worse at a gradual rate, or in an hour or two it suddenly gets worse, after exercise. The problem I see with that is the nerves are not signaling right. Muscles feel normal after exercise, but skin and other sensations are abnormal. I'll get sudden aching, pulsating, twitching, burning, and fatigue in areas that I didn't even exercise or directly in the ones I exercised, usually the legs and feet. Have you tried using IcyHot, or another topical application to desensitize and/or stop the itching and such? It works for me, but it's not easy to tolerate the cold burn for long. My mom had knee surgery not too long ago to replace her knee, and she got some stuff called Biofreeze. I tried that once and it worked well for an hour or two, but it also intensified the pain for some intervals of that time period lol. She said not to do it because it could be harmful, so with those two signs I stopped. I just get so sick of the whole constant and recurring pain and discomfort that I look for anything that might work. I'm considering going back to an herbal capsule of valerian root, or something similar.

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Presto, we seem to have similar trigger points. Before all this started back in the 1990s I rode a bike about 5-10 miles per day. Then I had a hernia repair which never worked and this started up a month or so after the operation. I was assured there was nothing wrong with the surgery, but I still think the 2 are linked even though no one agrees with me. I had just purchased a new mountain bike at the time and it’s still hanging on the wall in the hope that someday I’ll be able to ride again. So after I couldn’t ride I switched to walking. Then the walking started bothering me. So now I can only go on walks occasionally and have to always be aware of the signs it’s coming back.
At this point I’ve adopted the less is more with different medicines. I try to only use what i need to control it, which right now is fish oil, tumeric, Quercetin and pumpkin seed oil.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:20 pm

I think we have some similar symptoms. And it could be we both have causes that are from past injuries and errors in solving health problems. I had multiple falls on the bike and other ways, on my back/neck area and my lower spine/rear, which I think produced problems with my muscles/nerves/spine. I currently don't go for walks because I have the pain almost all the time, and walking for longer than 5 minutes can easily exacerbate pain and problems. I also hate walking when I don't have somewhere to go, most of the time. An hour ago I got back from physical therapy and had some adjusting done to my spine and hips. I already feel it's helped with aligning problems in my spine and neck. But the perineum pain and groin pain is still there. I think that is a learned dysfunction of my nerves and brain-body signals.

The hernia repair is most likely a causative factor for you. Lots of the stuff that I've thought is my problem, others also haven't believed, or have not listened to or understood, even the physical therapist to an extent. Yet, health problems are like conspiracies sometimes. If there isn't overwhelming evidence, or it doesn't fit the current or other "dialogue", then it's met with blunt skepticism/suspicion. When I stopped talking to others about what I thought and was researching, I started improving and healing a bit more. It's primarily an uncomfortable, basically taboo condition (prostatitis/CPPS) to discuss. Have you tried valerian root, or another herb that is for calm and relaxation? Kava Kava, Lavender, Tea Tree Oil, and a few others are effective. I tried turmeric, quercetin, cranberry pills, and bee pollen extract pills of some kind, and they helped a bit I think, but not enough for me to confirm at the time they were a reliable preventive or relief. Every time they have me do exercises and ride a stationary bike at the therapy clinic, I get worsening pain and discomfort. While when I get more rest and go to sessions more relaxed, it's less.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]