Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Low testosterone -- any connection? 

Post Low testosterone -- any connection?
Anyone else have low-T in conjunction with prostatitis? Were you able to remedy it?

I'm a 31 year old male w/ prostatitis symptoms (fairly atypical, see my other posts if you're interested) and have been blood testing low testosterone for about 6 months. I haven't any low-t symptoms other than some low libido/erection difficulty that, while they are symptoms of low-T, could also be explained by prostatitis or some depression I've been experiencing (mostly due to the prostatitis, lol).

I am currently being treated for (confirmed) bacterial prostatitis that was undetected for almost 2 years. I have read some evidence around low-grade infections causing hormonal imbalances but nothing substantial. Antibiotics have helped my prostatitis -- my prostate itself is demonstrably less inflamed now -- but have not completely eliminated symptoms which may be related to an issue with my seminal vesticle(s) rather than my prostate. So, I probably haven't totally cleared the infection, and my most recent bloodwork following antibiotics still returned low-T. However, it was higher than my last test, so maybe it's on the rise.

I am not diabetic and my pituitary gland was normal following an MRI. Other bloodwork is normal. My diet, fitness and exercise are okay, but I am working to improve it.

Any insight into the connection between low-T and prostatitis would be appreciated.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Post Re: Low testosterone -- any connection?
There is a connection between gut flora and T production. Your flora is responsible for things which can affect the prostate as well, specifically vitamin and mineral absorption. Eat fermented foods as raw and as real as possible. Check the nutritional content of whatever you eat, and cross reference with the recommended daily values to see where you're at.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:34 pm

Post Re: Low testosterone -- any connection?
I concurrently think there is a connection between low testosterone and prostatitis / CPPS / associated problems. Yet it's important to remember that testosterone and other biochemicals change in their levels/amounts in cyclical ways. They're produced, then used (depleted), are transferred around, more is produced, etc. So the idea one can have a sustained level of testosterone is illusory. This cyclical changing of biochemical levels/amounts may have something to do with prostatitis symptoms/problems coming and going, increasing and decreasing. The flaw in a lab test is that it's not possible currently to ascertain how an in vitro sample parallels that of an in vivo study. This is a basic topic covered in biology and chemistry classes, not in much detail, but it is in textbooks. Thus, the notion that an antibiogram is a 100% reliable source of information regarding resistances of bacteria to antibiotics is inherently off base, or incorrect, in most cases. Especially since bacteria morph, adapt, and are capable of utilizing different methods to reproduce and grow. If testosterone is vital to my prostate health, then it's probable something is wrong with the cycle of it through the organ, or the availability of it to produce and/or remove what I need for the organ. Have you looked up any studies?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]