Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Quercitin/Bromelain as anti-inflammatory [Madcap] 

Post Quercitin/Bromelain as anti-inflammatory [Madcap]
I saw somehwere on this forum dosage of quercitin/bromelain combination to be used as anti-inflammatory. I cant locate that post

The company mentioned Vitamedica no longer sells this on Amazon and was very expensive anyhow.

1) What might be the proper combination dose and r u aware of other reliable manufacturer of this? (Feel free to private message me if u prefer)

2) Were the any gastro-intenstinal issues with it?

Thanks

~elias

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Post Re: Quercitin/Bromelain as anti-inflammatory [Madcap]
Elias, you can purchase it directly from VitaMedica but yes it’s more expensive than most other brands. There are many to choose from but I can’t say how good they are as I never used anything but VitaMedica. The study dosage I followed was 500 milligrams Quercetin along with 500 milligrams bromelain 2 times per day. VitaMedica is the only brand I’m aware of that comes in equal amounts making it easy to follow, but you can buy both separate and mix it that way to get the correct dose if it’s easier. My suggestion is pick a brand you trust.
There was no issue with taking it. Didn’t bother my stomach but you can eat something beforehand if you have to.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:06 am

Elias, there is a brand called Doctor’s Best which sells it in equal amounts. Again I have not used the brand but it might be just as effective. Less expensive as well.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 pm

I have a feeling it is probably as good as many other generic anti-inflammatories. For example, someone on here not so long ago said they had luck with a liquid turmeric extract. The only difference is some people went and did an experiment with quercetin on people with prostatitis. I used to think that was a v. big difference, but the natural world is full of anti-inflammatories that are all unique in their own way. Many have been tested on other conditions or have lots of independent traditional support.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:32 pm

Ty guys...

unfortunately, doctors best has Quercetin/Bromelain in 500mg/250 mg capsules. So not the proportion youve seen in some research..I'll browse around a bit..Maybe buy them separately

Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Chris wrote:

Quote:
I have a feeling it is probably as good as many other generic anti-inflammatories. For example, someone on here not so long ago said they had luck with a liquid turmeric extract. The only difference is some people went and did an experiment with quercetin on people with prostatitis.

You may well be right about the anti-inflammatory part. But theres some scientific basis for believing that Quercetin also relaxes smooth muscles including those of the urinary tract. we had a thread on this a while ago.

This is title of article in Nature:

"Phosphodiesterase type 4 inhibition enhances nitric oxide- and hydrogen sulfide-mediated bladder neck inhibitory neurotransmission"

(Wish i could just post the link to this scientific journal...Its very thought provoking)

Anyhow, Quercetin is mentioned therein as perhaps being able to do this, at least in smooth (involuntary) muscles of the airway. If it can do the same for urinary tract smooth muscles and act as anti-inflammatory as well, we have an ideal combo here.

From same article :

" In fact PDE5 inhibitors, such as tadalafil, are useful for the treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) associated with benign prostatic enlargement (LUTS/BPE)"

This is that NO pathway we discussed in that thread here about natural substitutes for alpha-blockers..

I'm seeing some other references to this PDE5 inhibitor property in PubMed medical journals...So it does seem there might be something to all this...Two major culprits in prostatitis are inflammation and smooth muscle hypertonicity. The latter is what those alpha-blockers work on and why they work--but at a price...

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:43 pm

elias wrote:
Ty guys...

unfortunately, doctors best has Quercetin/Bromelain in 500mg/250 mg capsules. So not the proportion youve seen in some research..I'll browse around a bit..Maybe buy them separately

Buying them separately might be best. My advice is follow the study dosage as close as you possibly can. Also I would not use any other supplements once you start it. The only way to know for sure what is helping is to use the less is more approach. When people are taking a half dozen different things at once there’s just no way to reliably know what’s helping and what’s a waste of money.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi MadCap:

Oddly, Vita Medica sells it (500mg each combination) at about half the cost I had seen listed at Amazon.. Plus they gave me a 10% discount. So was only $32 for one month supply..So that does seem reasonable

Youre right bout not just "throwing everything at it"..Presently only using Styrian pumpkin seed oil from Austria. I use it as salad dressing---so its more like a food.. I'll just be using that and the Quercetin/Bromelain for a while and see where things are in about a month. No meds just now either...

I plan to focus on intense exercise as main approach ...For now... Will keep you all posted as things develop

Thanks much:
~elias

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 pm

elias wrote:
Hi MadCap:

Oddly, Vita Medica sells it (500mg each combination) at about half the cost I had seen listed at Amazon.. Plus they gave me a 10% discount. So was only $32 for one month supply..So that does seem reasonable

Youre right bout not just "throwing everything at it"..Presently only using Styrian pumpkin seed oil from Austria. I use it as salad dressing---so its more like a food.. I'll just be using that and the Quercetin/Bromelain for a while and see where things are in about a month. No meds just now either...

I plan to focus on intense exercise as main approach ...For now... Will keep you all posted as things develop

Thanks much:
~elias

Elias, I probably should have been more clear in my description of this. The VitaMedica is the exact same amount of both ingredients, but the dosage reads 2 capsules to get the 500/500 amount. So unless they have changed the bottle size/amount you will be getting 60 capsules, and you’ll need to take 4 capsules per day, 2 in morning then 2 in evening to get the correct dosage. So that’s a 15 day supply.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:44 am

Yes, MadCap.

I can see that now... It's only for 15 days if taken 4 capsules/day

(Wish they'd list dosage by capsule, rather than "serving size")

May I ask how long it took for the combination to yield noticeable results for you? If its within a few weeks, I might know early on whether to pursue getting the exact proportions

Getting that exact combination via purchasing separate ingredients is tricky and confusing , because brands I recognize as having been around a long time--such as Solgar, eg-- already have some Bromelain in them but much less than 500 mg. They do sell Bromelain 500 mg separately, but when added to the Bromelain already in the Quercetin product..it wont be very precise

Last edited by elias on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:13 pm

I tried both on and off over the years and for whatever reason they never seemed to help me aside from maybe an initial placebo reaction that was short lived. It's a shame because I really wanted them to help, and prescription strength NSAIDs had a hugely positive effect for me so anything anti-inflammatory should have made at least some difference. Then again I never really saw any improvement from OTC ibuprofen either, maybe it just wasn't strong enough. I only take two supplements nowadays - saw palmetto and turmeric, and I'll probably quit the saw palmetto once I run out. You have to experiment and try everything though, you never know what might gain you some relief.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:27 pm

elias wrote:
Yes, MadCap.

I can see that now... It's only for 15 days if taken 4 capsules/day

(Wish they'd list dosage by capsule, rather than "serving size")

May I ask how long it took for the combination to yield noticeable results for you? If its within a few weeks, I might know early on whether to pursue getting the exact proportions

Getting that exact combination via purchasing separate ingredients is tricky and confusing , because brands I recognize as having been around a long time--such as Solgar, eg-- already have some Bromelain in them but much less than 500 mg. They do sell Bromelain 500 mg separately, but when added to the Bromelain already in the Quercetin product..it wont be very precise

Elias, I felt improvement in the 1st week. It wasn’t overnight but it was obvious it was helping. Although it’s impossible to put a timetable to it because we all react differently. I have forgotten the length of the study group I followed at that time, and you will just have to make a guess as to how long to go but personally I would give it a few weeks.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Good news and bad news with regard to the Quercetin:

It did seem this was helping some-very gradually--but notable improvement!!

However:

It gave me bad GI side effects. Very crampy sense of feeling constipated no matter what i ate or did. 24/7..It didnt resolve even when I cut daily dose in half. This is odd because I see no such side effect reported. It is stated that the side effects are rare and mild...But I do have IBS-C..so im very sensitive to things ingested..

I'd hate not to give quercetin a good try. From way back, i was told i had pretty severe prostate inflammation (based on EPS exam)

I have no way of knowing if it is the bromelain or the quercitin thats causing the upset. Since VitaMedica contains equal amounts of both. I've also read that querceting in supplements comes in a number of different forms--eg: dihydrate, glycoside..etc...So perhaps a different of quercetin--or different combo might be easier on my system.

I'm looking at Farr Labs--which has its own quercertin/bromelain/papain formulated products.

MadCap:
Would you by any chance have the citation of the study you refer to. Was it the 1999 study by Shoskes and Zeitlin in the Journal: Urology?

Quote:
QUERCETIN IN MEN WITH CATEGORY III CHRONIC
PROSTATITIS: A PRELIMINARY PROSPECTIVE,
DOUBLE-BLIND, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED TRIAL
DANIEL A. SHOSKES, SCOTT I. ZEITLIN, ASHA SHAHED, AND JACOB RAJFER

That study did use a product called Prosta-Q by Farr labs. Its a "proprietary blend" of quercetin/bromelian/papain and a few other things at ~500mg/day. But unfortunately, it doesnt give exact breakdown..Maybe its some "trade secret" or something..

I'm just wondering if i might just be able to tolerate that one better than the VitaMedica. .. Either because of the form of the quercetin or the specific combination of ingredients there.GI sensitivities can be very fluky.It is very expensive. So I thought I'd touch base with you on this forum before trying this one..

Thanks
~elias

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:06 pm

elias wrote:
Good news and bad news with regard to the Quercerin:

It did seem this was helping some-very gradually--but notable improvement.

However:

It gave me bad GI side effects. Very crampy sense of feeling constipated no matter what i ate or did. 24/7..It didnt resolve even when I cut daily dose in half. This is odd because I see no such side effect reported. It is stated that the side effects are rare and mild...But I do have IBS-C..so im very sensitive to things ingested..

I'd hate not to give quercetin a good try. From way back, i was told i had pretty severe prostate inflammation (based on EPS exam)

I have no way of knowing if it is the bromelain or the quercitin thats causing the upset. Since VitaMedica contains equal amounts of both. I've also read that querceting in supplements comes in a number of different forms--eg: dihydrate, glycoside..etc...So perhaps a different of quercetin--or different combo might be easier on my system.

I'm looking at Farr Labs--which has its own quercertin/bromelain/papain formulated products.

MadCap:
Would you by any chance have the citation of the study you refer to. Was it the 1999 study by Shoskes and Zeitlin in the Journal: Urology?

Quote:
QUERCETIN IN MEN WITH CATEGORY III CHRONIC
PROSTATITIS: A PRELIMINARY PROSPECTIVE,
DOUBLE-BLIND, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED TRIAL
DANIEL A. SHOSKES, SCOTT I. ZEITLIN, ASHA SHAHED, AND JACOB RAJFER

That study did use a product called Prosta-Q by Farr labs. Its a "proprietary blend" of quercetin/bromelian/papain and a few other things at ~500mg/day. But unfortunately, it doesnt give exact breakdown..Maybe its some "trade secret" or something..

I'm just wondering if i might just be able to tolerate that one better than the VitaMedica. .. Either because of the form of the quercetin or the specific combination of ingredients there.GI sensitivities can be very fluky.It is very expensive. So I thought I'd touch base with you on this forum before trying this one..

Thanks
~elias

I can’t remember the study but it wasn’t the one associated with farr labs. You can’t put much stock in a study used by a company to sell its own products plus their product contains several more ingredients. You could try the Doctors best brand. It’s reasonably priced if not exactly the formulation, but the Quercetin is the more important so it’s worth trying. Quercetin is pretty well tolerated but as you have IBS I guess you might be more sensitive to ingredients.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:25 pm

I read somewhere that Pineapple has lots of Bromelian in it.
Not sure if true or not, but I have been eating a bowl of pineapple whenever I can.
Not sure if placebo effect or not but it seems to help.

Pineapple.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:54 am

Hope the good effect keeps up, AC...

Not sure if the amount of Bromelain from eating pineapple even begins to approximate the 250mg/capsule being proposed in the Quercetin/Bromelain combo ...It is likely much lower..

I did call VitaMedica about my GI reaction to their Quercetin/Bromelain product. She thought it was likely the Bromelain causing the upset (rather than the Quercetin) because it is a digestive enzyme. So that does make sense.. She suggested NOT taking it with food, but on empty stomach. Because it'll "attack the food" rather than help metabolize the Quercetin. And may thereby be causing GI issues for me.. So the advice was to allow 30 minutes of no solid food before and after taking the capsules.

I have tried this, but so far the GI symptoms are still going on...So maybe best to wait till they subside entirely. Then try once again according to the above VitaMedica advice .

If that fails, I can try a pure (reliable) Quercitin product --just to be sure I can tolerate it..Then later find the lowest (reliable) Bromelain dose and gradually increase it...

It is getting kinda complex here...But the fact that I got so quick a response from this in a matter of only days -in terms of urinary symptoms- makes me want to pursue this..

~elias~

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:58 pm

What’s often not considered is the bodies reaction to the amount of supplements we take. Even something which has very few side effects can cause problems for people when taken in the doses recommended. The wise approach for everyone is to start with a smaller dose and give the body time to adjust, but at least it appears to be helping you. So for that reason try to work your way up to the dose you need gradually. This will work for most as side effects generally become milder over time.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Yes, Madcap..Best to see how things are at lower dosages first..

I'll see how things stand--first with Quercetin alone...and at 500mg/day..before attempt at increasing to 1000 mg. And then slowly adding Bromelain.The latter, being a digestive enzyme- is likely the "culprit" here..But can't be sure yet..So lots of trial and error here...I'm sensitive to many- if not most- medications. Supplements included.

The urinary symptoms often wake me many times times during the night (Nocturia). So Ive not been getting much restorative sleep. Sleep loss always makes both the IBS and the prostatitis worse for me..So theres a bit of vicious cycle going on here.

~elias~

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Elias, I have the same problem with many supplements and prescription drugs. As an example I can’t take magnesium, any b vitamin supplement, saw palmetto etc. So i am always cautious with anything new. Even probiotics I have to ease my way into.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]