Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 How safe to abruptly discontinue alpha blocker[Attn: Madcap] 

Post How safe to abruptly discontinue alpha blocker[Attn: Madcap]
I've been on an alpha blocker: Silodosin [8mg] daily for 12 weeks now. It worked wonderfully for 8 weeks. Powerful urinary stream (better than in decades), no frequency, hesitancy or urgency and slept through the night (possibly because the alpha blocker made me very drowsy?)

But I've suffered the side effects throughout. Feeling fatigued, drugged, dizzy..etc...Could barely make it down a few blocks..

Four weeks ago, the Silodosin stopped working, and all is back to the way it was before I started. But the side effects do continue.
Something in me just wants to stop taking it for a while, wait til side effects ease off some. And just go to the gym a lot...which i had stopped doing when i was losing too much sleep due to nocturia

I am wondering, btw, how much of all that was a placebo effect...

I know you had discontinued Tamsulosin a while back, with little or no harm. Did you just stop taking it abruptly, or did you need to somehow wean off it? Did you discontinue on your own or via your doctor?

~elias~

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Post Re: How safe to abruptly discontinue alpha blocker[Attn: Mad
Elias, I just stopped. Noticed no difference at all other than feeling better because the side effects went away in just a couple of days. Personally they worked ok when I started them but the effect over time became less and less noticeable.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks, MadCap.

You didn't feel need to consult your GP on this before just stopping?

~elias~

Reason I ask this is I doubt my GP would answer on this since he's thrown the whole matter into the tumultuous waters of a urologist. So far I've been dreading going to that consult because of that PSA boondoggle wrote bout last month. Waiting for symptoms to subside some more before re-doing that test...

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 pm

No I didn’t see any point in talking with my Dr. This is one of those situations where you have to decide if the pros outweigh the cons. In my case the cons far outweighed any benefit so stopping was the only answer.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Youre right, MadCap...But its a bit tricky in my case...

Before going on the alpha-blocker I'd get these mini-episodes of retention where i couldnt pee at all...so i panicked, because I'm told "acute urinary retention" is considered a medical emergency..But those never lasted very long...All i had to do was take a strong shot of coffee or drink a few glasses of water and urination would resume..So those might have been false alarms of urinary urgency--where there simply wasnt enough urine in bladder to generate a flow...Those all happen at night after having gotten up numerous times to pee..so bladder may've been near empty, and i was all pee'd out-- but the urinary urgency was giving me another sense..It's still a very scary experience. Much more upsetting than urinary frequency and the like. If i had only those, I'd definitely try going off the silodosin..and be drug free a few weeks or longer and see where things hold

Those "mini-retention" episodes are now returning--after having stopped for a few months. So theres a terrifying fear theyll be even worse if i stop the alpha-blocker without replacing it with some other medical intervention..

Some of these symptoms may be being driven by that PSA terror, because intense anxiety always made this kind of stuff worse for me

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Only going by what you’ve said previously but it does seem like anxiety is contributing to your health problems. The feeling of needing to go is fairly common for people with prostate issues. You might want to try to treat your anxiety symptoms. You have the option of self treatment as well as prescribed drugs. Anxiety was a terrible problem for me the 1st time I experienced prostatitis but I overcame that for the most part. You’re going to have to address it because it will wreck your day to day life otherwise.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Same thing happened to me on Silodosin, it worked for a little while then just stopped working. Like you say, the side effects are bad as is the case with all urinary drugs.

I suffered great anxiety over urination, I had to go to emerg several times for catheterization because I couldn't pee at all.

One time a doc gave me a few Ativan to go home with, it helped a lot and for me anyways, took away a lot of the urinary urgency, and seemed to relax my pelvic floor. Following that I asked my doctor to prescribe it and he did.

It may help you, some doctors don't like to prescribe it because it has some addictive properties....I stopped it cold turkey with zero issues.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:11 pm

racebannon wrote:
Same thing happened to me on Silodosin, it worked for a little while then just stopped working. Like you say, the side effects are bad as is the case with all urinary drugs.

I suffered great anxiety over urination, I had to go to emerg several times for catheterization because I couldn't pee at all.

Two questions, Racebannon:

1) Were you able to safely just stop the Silodosin with no rebound effect?

2) Were those acute episodes of urinary retention--where u needed to be catheterized--due to Prostatitis or to BPH?

~elias~

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:01 pm

elias wrote:
racebannon wrote:

Two questions, Racebannon:

1) Were you able to safely just stop the Silodosin with no rebound effect?

2) Were those acute episodes of urinary retention--where u needed to be catheterized--due to Prostatitis or to BPH?

~elias~

Yes I stopped Silodosin, it wasn't working for me anyways. It's nasty side side effects went away after about a week

My urinary retention was caused by bladder neck tightness, I had surgery. It helped a bit with my ability to pass urine, however my pelvic pain is even worse now and regressing more as time goes by.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:08 pm

When I was on Tamsulosin, the effects also dwindled to where I was unsure whether it was helping much and was getting tired with returning urinary symptoms. When I stopped, which was abrupt, I experienced relief of symptoms almost completely, and then they came back. So I started it again, and I was getting an intense squeezing feeling around the base, like I had put a thick rubber band around it so tight that it was cutting off some circulation. I stopped it, and that pain relieved while urinary problems returned somewhat.

I think in my case I should have continued the full course and not gone back on it unless I was experiencing as bad of problems as before I started it at first. I think it has a developing effect of relief because it involves changing certain chemical reactions.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

I tried flomax but only for short time... hated retro/diminished ejaculation... stopped cold turkey w/o issues. Consult w doc but likely can stop anytime.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 am

I was on Rapaflo (Silodosin) , not Flomax. I discontinued abruptly with little problem. The Rapaflo was making me very weak. I got better quickly after stopping.

I so wonder if I might not have fared better under Flomax. Pharmacist said theyre not the same in terms of sides...

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 am

I stopped the Flomax immediately and it was because I thought it was not effective anymore. The urinary issues returned within a week or two, and I started back on it, and I had a terrible tight feeling at the base. It felt like I had a wide rubber band wrapped around 3-4x over to where it was so tight that I was going to lose blood flow and not be able to pee much. Then I stopped it, and that was gone. Later I tried pyridium, which worked to an extent, but my urine was neon orange and stained the toilet seat within a minute after not wiping it clean. It also caused a weird feeling in my bladder / low abs, like it was getting weak and restrained until I had to go, then all of a sudden urine flow was bursting and difficult to steady the stream. Lol, sorry for the descriptives. I think I'd need a combination of something to restrict the relaxing effects with those medicines. Or a lower dose.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]