Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Fosfomycin Advice 

Post Fosfomycin Advice
Now with a new urologist, after getting no where with a previous one. He has tried me on fosfomycin for two days for Enterococcus faecalis, it totally stopped it and cleared all symptons where as even drugs like cipro for weeks never did.

I am seeing him tomorrow to discuss longer dosage of fosfo as you would expect it came back after a week, he is proposing to milk to prostate under anaesthetic then on onto a vaccine or antibiotics.

I just wondered what term guys had done on fosfo with any success?

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:29 am

Post Re: Fosfomycin Advice
Fofsomycin works because it is not a common antibiotic most people have not been exposed to it. For example whoever you contracted your bacterial prostatitis from may have had treatment with ciprofloxacin so the bacteria is resistant to cipro or you tried to treat it before and didn't take it long enough and didn't clear out your prostate. Fofsomycin works great for stomach bacteria but also can work against staph. I highly recommend not doing short courses of antibiotics for prostatitis thats how you build resistance and have to switch to another. 14-21 days is the shortest you want to do.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:11 am

I have been on my fosfo for 2 weeks now, it seems to be having no effect what so ever now. It makes me question whether it is bacterial or if the initial 2 days dose really did build up antibiotic resistance, either way it feels like back to square one again.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:08 am

tehdude789 wrote:
I highly recommend not doing short courses of antibiotics for prostatitis thats how you build resistance and have to switch to another. 14-21 days is the shortest you want to do.

Agree. People 50 and older will know this but the standard treatment time for prostatitis used to be a 90 day course of antibiotics. You would go back for a check every 30 days, and usually leave with another 30 day prescription. This was standard because it usually worked. However we live in different times. Antibiotics are now viewed as a problem instead of solution. So now they are given in shorter doses, and although this is helpful in many things when it comes to the prostate it’s a problem. At least here in the States the only way you will get extended doses is by finding an older Dr who still practices independently. Maybe it’s different in the UK but here they are almost treated like pain pills.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:05 am

I read a study today in which 1 dose of Fosfomycin was compared to 5-day (3x per day) course of Nitrofurantoin in terms of complete resolution of symptoms in uncomplicated UTIs in women, and the result was a significant difference of 70% of patients on Nitrofurantoin having complete resolution after 28 days and 58% of patients on Fosfomycin after 28 days. I think it comes down to simply trying it in almost anyone's case, unless it's obvious trying it would be harmful. Doesn't Fosfomycin work basically the same way fluoroquinolones work, by inhibiting the production of the bacterial cell wall?

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:28 pm

Its been two weeks now on fosfo, so far its alot easier on my system and stomach than cipro.

I submitted a semen sample and for the first time in 2 years it came back with no bacteria or organisms found, I have 4 more weeks to run it shows it is killing the infection.

Although I still have burning after ejaculation and redness it is no where near as bad as before.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Certain symptoms and side effects can linger after medicine kills off bacteria or viruses, or fungi. It's common in flu, cold, and other illnesses.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]