Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Found bacterial infection after 2 years under radar - help? 

Post Found bacterial infection after 2 years under radar - help?
Hey all, I could use some experienced opinion on bacterial prostatitis. I've had fairly non-obvious symptoms (and related conditions) for almost two years. I started antibiotic treatment weeks ago. Symptoms, some appearing later on than others:

-significant increase in precum and post-ejaculation 'leakage'
-much thicker semen and reduced volume of semen
-sexual dysfuntion including lower libido, weaker erections and occasional premature ejac
-low testosterone (blood test)
-strange increase of visible blue/red veins on penis (developed recently)
-occasional discomfort in rectum/penis and occasional frequent urination
-TRUS confirmed 'some' calcification in prostate
-NO actual pain, one of the reasons why this took so long to diagnose

I tested negative in standard urine/semen culture tests which contributed to taking so long to begin treatment. Finally I took it upon myself to go to a prostatitis clinic, and after a couple months, I shelled out a bunch of cash for a 'next-generation DNA sequencing' test of urine/semen which identifies, as I understand it, the genetic structure of bacterial/fungi in your system, and in what quantities.

This revealed an infection -- likely buried in my prostate (note the calcification mentioned earlier) -- including a high load of enterococcus faecalis, klebsiella aerogenes, and to lesser extend ecoli. Finally after identifying this I started treatment after 1.5 years. Here is what I've taken/am currently on:

-Did about a week of Zithro
-Started Norfloxacin 400mg twice daily ( fluoroquinolone ), currently week 5 with 1 more week to go
-Completed about 3 weeks of another antibiotic I cannot remember the name of in tandem with Norflox, twice daily
-Recently started 4 weeks of Sulfameth/Trimeth 800/160mg twice daily, in tandem with Noflox for 2 weeks
-maybe one note is that I was told to avoid alcohol during treatment but I have definitely cheated on that.. I have read antibiotics are no less effective, and avoiding alcohol is more of a precaution than anything else.

Overall I have seen almost no improvement while on treatment. My libido and erection quality returned in force for about a week which was very encouraging, but in the past couple weeks things seemed to have reverted back to symptomatic. Maybe it's psychological -- I'm in a bit of depression and stressful period at work -- but I suspect that isn't the main cause.

I have not done another blood test for testosterone, or another test for bacteria yet (and I hope I won't have to). It sucks the antibiotics have not been effective but I am holding out hope it will begin to take a real hold in the last few weeks. But I am kind of at a loss and don't know where to go now. Could physiotherapy help release muscle tension that may be a response to the infection? Has anyone else been on antibiotics this long and didn't see improvement until this late? Any ideas?

Thank you for reading all this. Any input is really appreciated.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:35 pm

Post Re: Found bacterial infection after 2 years under radar - he
If you can somehow add prostate massages to your antibiotic regimen, it would help the drugs penetrate better. You may want to begin taking vitamin k2 supplements and / or magnesium, they should help to prevent further calcification, do your research first on those to see which brand has better absorption. There's several natural anti-inflammatory supplements out there. It usually takes a while for them to work though. Reishi mushroom, tumeric are a few that come to mind. Also, during your antibiotics, drink Kefir...lots of it if you can.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]