Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 What is the single most useful drug out there for? Choose 1 

Post What is the single most useful drug out there for? Choose 1
NSAID (cox2 inhibitors as well) (nabumeton, naproxene, ibuprofene, diclofenacum) vs alpha-blockers (tamsulosin, alfusosine) vs 5ar2 inhibitors (finasteride) vs quinolone antibiotics (ciprofloxacine, moxifloxacine, levofloxacine, ofloxacine) vs any other antibiotics (trimetoprim, penicillins?) vs long acting PDE5 inhibitors every day (tadalafil)

Discuss!

Thank you!

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Post Re: What is the single most useful drug out there for? Choos
I've done most all of those and the quinolone abx made me feel the best. Which is unfortunate because it's not a long term solution. Alpha blockers also produced some results but the rest of them....nothing.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:31 am

Rocephin IV for me. Doesn't kill whatever it is I've got, but it sure knocks it back considerably.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Most drugs are pretty useless for prostatitis, unless you happen to have an infection and get the right antibiotic.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:30 am

Cipro got rid of all symptoms within 2 weeks. I was on a 4 week course and symptoms returned with 1 week remaining of course. Returning symptoms were 50% of previous. Got a new mattress, did core strengthening and now all good. I am convinced that the infection affects the surrounding muscles and this is why constant antibiotics alone will not always help. BTW I am in a job where I sit awkwardly most of the day.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:24 am

parkerdental@me.com wrote:
Cipro got rid of all symptoms within 2 weeks. I was on a 4 week course and symptoms returned with 1 week remaining of course. Returning symptoms were 50% of previous. Got a new mattress, did core strengthening and now all good. I am convinced that the infection affects the surrounding muscles and this is why constant antibiotics alone will not always help. BTW I am in a job where I sit awkwardly most of the day.

What kind of core strengthening did you do. Could you please explain?

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:03 pm

I started with planks, then leg raises while on my back. This was doing Crossfit. Prior to this I found that if I tensed my abs while walking during the day while at the same time clenching my sphincter, I could mostly relieve symptoms. After changing my old mattress and strengthening my core I am almost back to normal. I recently felt symptoms coming on and got on to Cipro straight away. Currently I am OK. Being a doctor ( not a Urologist ) I was able to deduce my issue, but only after the Cipro dealt with the initial problem. I also had eased symptoms just before needing to take a ...., sitting in a hot bath, sitting on a hot surface, alcohol, valium etc. Again this was after 4 weeks of Ciprofloxacin. NSAIDS, codeine, paracetamol did nothing to help.
I no longer shower, only hot baths in the evening. I hope this helps.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:42 am

Been a while since I posted my original response in this thread. An update for me - diclofenac (the NSAID) worked awesome for me. It basically solved all my symptoms but I couldn't take it long term due to the side effects. Still it was good to know it was an option if I ever got desperate.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Most cases of prostatitis are bacterial. There isn't one drug thats "Most useful" some have better penetration than others but you need to find out what bacteria you have. For example if you got a Staph strain thats resistant to cipro it will do nothing for you so you are just basically throwing darts taking antibiotics without testing. Most people are just not tested properly so they don't know what they have =/ and over time your body adapts to the bacteria if you don't treat it properly but it until you get treated symptoms wont fully go away.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:09 pm

tehdude789 wrote:
Most cases of prostatitis are bacterial. There isn't one drug thats "Most useful" some have better penetration than others but you need to find out what bacteria you have. For example if you got a Staph strain thats resistant to cipro it will do nothing for you so you are just basically throwing darts taking antibiotics without testing. Most people are just not tested properly so they don't know what they have =/ and over time your body adapts to the bacteria if you don't treat it properly but it until you get treated symptoms wont fully go away.

I'm not sure that most cases are bacterial is an accurate statement. I think it's the opposite actually.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:48 pm

It’s clearly a real mix of bacterial and non bacterial. I also think to start some cases are just bacterial, but then the chronic inflammation and pain possibly with muscle tension and nerve damage may lead to a more complex hard to treat condition. A bit like when people get reactive arthritis and their immune system doesn’t recover.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 am

It starts with Bacterial and overtime infection causes nerve damage from the chronic inflammation. Your body fights it over time. From what I was told most of the "non bacterial" cases are because of incorrect testing. The infection will usually at the back of the prostate for people who have had it for a long period of time. It takes a while of massages and the correct antibiotics to penetrate the back. First few weeks of massages you are just clearing out the front. Good idea is get a transrectal ultrasound.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]