Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Let's talk about Pelvic Floor Therapy (Trigger Point) 

Post Let's talk about Pelvic Floor Therapy (Trigger Point)
So I just started Trigger Point therapy and I want to get some conversations going with others who have gone through it or are currently going through it - mostly to see what type of therapy we are getting, if we feel like it is helping, and if there is any consistency to the therapy that we are receiving.

First of all, I'll say that I didn't feel weird about it at all - when you've been dealing with this pain for as long as some of us have, you'll try just about anything - the woman who I met with for my therapy says she has been treating men for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction and Chronic Pain Syndrome for 17 years, and she has been asked to teach others how to do it because not many in her field want to or know how to (shocking). She was very nice and open about the whole thing, walked me through the entire pelvic floor and all the muscles and nerves, nerve entrapment, and all that good stuff... then we got to work.

I laid down on a table and she went to TOWN on my abdomen, mostly left side as she said it was much tighter, and she said pelvic floor muscles actually start higher than most people think. She then worked the pelvic area, and cold lasered my pelvis right around the pubic hair area, both sides, then worked her fingers deep into those muscles again (all external). Then she went and put pressure on spots around the perineum and the muscles that connect to the sides of the perineum. She also worked the muscles in my lower back harder than any massage I've ever gotten. Whole session lasted for an hour, she was very kind about the whole thing and open to talking about my problems, and afterwards told me to ice every area we worked on for 10 minutes every 2 hours because I was going to be very sore. She was right. She gave me a whole list of stretches to do as well, which I have been doing daily - I think it actually made a small difference even in just one session. I am going back for another session next Sunday, and actually looking forward to it.

Has anyones experience been similar? Drastically different? Let's discuss our experiences.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:23 am

Post Re: Let's talk about Pelvic Floor Therapy (Trigger Point)
She sounds like a good one. The exercises part is where I get skeptical and back off because I think lots of the exercises prescribed for pelvic pain and dysfunction are not appropriate when the muscles and nerves are so messed up. That may be mostly for me and some others, not everyone I think. I'm currently receiving myofascial trigger point therapy and it has helped reduce and get rid of a few problems (burning during urination, frequency and intensity of pain, and tight fascia/muscles). I went to a pelvic floor physiotherapist and didn't have continuing good results from it, I think. And that was in part due to starting me on exercises that exacerbated pain and problems, and she also tried to coerce me into getting counseling by threatening to discontinue treating me if I didn't agree to and attend counseling. I left and haven't gone back. I've also considered acupuncture. One of my issues is my belly is somewhat large, which wasn't the case years ago when I weighed 180-200. Now I'm at around 280 lbs. and don't know how to best lose at least 50-60 lbs. Exercise is too difficult and slow to progress in due to the discomfort and pain of prostatitis/CPPS. Yet it may be one of the few options I have now.

I think there ais information hidden on the internet and elsewhere about weight loss which doesn't involve 6 months of exercises and dieting to only lose 10-20 lbs. Does your new PT stretch you before doing trigger point?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:06 pm

So far I've only had the one session, and it was focused on teaching me about the muscle groups, understanding my specific pain, getting familiar with the process and her touch, and then beating the hell out of various muscle groups connected to or in direct relation to the pelvic floor. She didn't give me the stretch booklet until afterwards, and she told me to go home and practice and she asked me to come back in this Thursday to do a round of stretches with her just to make sure I'm doing all of them correctly. After that we're going back to consistent Sunday morning hour long trigger point / myofascial release therapy sessions, so I guess I'll find out if she wants me to stretch before them either on Thursday or next Sunday. I think at this point she just wants me doing the stretches daily.

There were no workouts involved, no exercises, just stretches - so I'm happy about that. I'm relatively fit, a little chunk but only 205lb standing at 6'1 so my frame is pretty regular, I'm avoiding going to a gym or doing any serious lower body workouts until I understand more about whats happening to me and how to stop it.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Internal pelvic floor physical therapy was by far the best treatment for my prostatitis, and to be clear I've tried almost everything aside from prostate injections. You are right in that once you get on with it it's not a big deal. The first time my lady entered me was a bit uncomfortable, but everything was under a blanket and we had conversations about random shite while she was doing her business so it wasn't bad at all. It was better than any of the drugs or abxs I ever took. Didn't cure me but it was akin to taking steroid anti-inflammatories for me, without any side effects. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if my prostatitis ever came back to that level.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]