Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Probiotics for Gut Repair 

Post Probiotics for Gut Repair
Hey guys, I know a lot of us have taken multiple rounds of antibiotics for prostatitis, myself included. As a result, I had been taking the VSL3 probiotic to rebuild my gut flora, unfortunately it began to cause severe acid reflux. I determined that was due to the acid / histamine producing lactobacillus species in vsl3.

So, I switched to a bifido only probiotic, but unfortunately that wasn't anywhere near as strong as VSL3 in terms of good bacterial count. I found a company that makes high grade bidifo only probiotics, stronger than VSL3. So, I started taking those, and low and behold constipation cleared up, and eczema cleared up as well. It has been very cool. Didn't seem to do anything for my prostate though, but at least there were some good changes, maybe I haven't been on it long enough yet, we'll see.

Wed May 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Post Re: Probiotics for Gut Repair
I've gotten probiotics too, in yogurt and pills containing acidophilus. Other foods too. A few questions I have are: how much is healthy? How much causes problems? How do I know I'm getting the right species / strains?

You may have had acid reflux because lactobacillus produces lactic acid, among other things. Have you read about the species you're consuming?

Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Yeah, after I started getting serious reflux from VSL3 I did my homework. I'm taking Bifido only ones now, around 250 billion per day, and it seems to have cleared up my eczema, and constipation issues. I found a site called customprobiotics that sell d-lactate free probiotics and I was able to tolerate those much better. All probiotics are transient from my understanding, except for possibly the soil based ones, and probiotics from cultured foods.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Ah, forgot to mention, supposedly there are estimates that as human adults, we have around 100 trillion bacteria in our bodies. I've seen other research which brings that number down to around 40 trillion though. So, if probiotics stay in us for up to 30 days, and we take say...200 billion per day. 200 billion x 30 is around 6 trillion, give or take? Hopefully should be enough to do some positive things.
Man, I hope I can eventually take the lacto species as well, really surprised that they don't agree with me.

Wed May 09, 2018 9:29 pm

Transient has multiple meanings. It doesn't only mean they exit the body. It also means they move from one area to another, go through their life cycles, and change in form and function in certain circumstances. Look up endospores. Only certain bacteria do it, according to studies comparing some species. The idea in probiotics is to restore gut bacteria and not to keep adding. Adding to an extent, but not continuously.

It's good you got results from it. Have you read about E. coli much?

Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 am

I have a Genova CDSA waiting in the wings. I plan on stopping probiotics within the next month or two for a little while, then wait for around thirty days and run the test. Based on the results, I should be able to take some of the guesswork out of the equation.

I also had great results with 3 weeks of diflucan. Nearly 75% of the prostatitis symptoms cleared up and I saw definite improvement.

I'm now looking into PCR testing of semen, EPS, and possibly urine to get a better picture as to what's going on there as well.

Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am

I've read that diflucan has effective results in clinical tests on prostatitis / CPPS symptoms. But I also read that it can have unintended effects. Did, or do you think you experienced any unintended / side effects from it?

Bifidobacterium are lactic acid producing genera too. Perhaps not as much as lactobacillus genera. They're also considered anaerobes, which doesn't sound right somehow because they colonize the gut where oxygen exchange is plentiful and crucial. I think anaerobic has more to do with how they utilize oxygen in various compounds than with how survive in it.

Are you going to post your test results in this thread? I'm thinking of getting some tests done too. Possibly a PCR. Lipid panel and protein tests, and maybe a few others.

Thu May 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Yes, I actually did have some side effects with the diflucan. Headache, some nausea, metallic taste, that's about it though. I also had elevated bilirubin levels during week three of the medication, so I stopped. I didn't want to chance a liver injury. I am very glad I was able to run a weekly CMP test while I was on the medication so that I could monitor what was going on.

I am digging the effects of the high grade bifido probiotics, they have been great. At first, they caused a little bit of acid reflux, but no where near as bad as VSL3, not even close. So, I decided to make organic mashed potatoes and pour the probiotic powder into a little bit of those. That actually works well and all the reflux was gone. Now, I am about to discontinue the mashed potatoes route and begin making fruit / vegetables smoothies with a pre-made powder solution that looks promising. I'll just add the probiotics to that and see how things go.

Once I have results from the PCR test (in process now), I will post them here. I'll post the CDSA results as well, although it may be a few months before I can run that particular test.

Lipids are always good to have, it will steer you towards adjusting your diet if it's out of range, or a little high.

Thu May 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Cool looking forward to seeing your guys microgen results. Ill let you know when my Greek lab results come in in and share over private mediums.

Thu May 10, 2018 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]