Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anybody try microgen labs in texas 

Post Anybody try microgen labs in texas
Ilia in toronto says he has started to use a lab in texas called microgen dx. Suppose to be dna pcr testing for a much higher number of pathogens. Will also provise % of pathogen in sample to show the load and antibiotics to be used.
Has anybody tried this lab? Think its about $ 200 per sample...if i want to send semen, urine and prostate fluid is it worth the 600. Im pretty sure im going to try it.

Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 pm

Post Re: Anybody try microgen labs in texas
All, I am in touch with the guy who used the lab. PM me if you want more details, as I will no longer post any info on specific docs or labs as I want to save myself the disrespect of being called an advertiser. Thanks.

Sun May 06, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks for the reference to Microgen Dom, I will reach out to them. I was thinking of going with Bedford labs, but I haven't heard anything back from them in a couple of days.

Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 am

The doctor needs to order the kit from MicroGen. I asked my PC and he said no, citing lack of know-how and that it wouldn't yield valuable information. It's likely that the results could show the bacteria present, but not how much is really there or whether it really is the causative bacteria. It could also be accurate enough for picking the right antibiotics and solving most or all problems. Yet some antibiotics only suppress the growth and proliferation of bacteria, and if they're not all killed, they could repopulate given enough time and food post-antibiotics. Overall, I think it's at least worth a try.

Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

My doctor said that the results do show how much of each bacteria is inspecimen to assist in narrowing down which bacteria is causing issues.
I just called and ordered a kit...200 u.s per sample. I ordered urine, semen and prostate fluid. $620 u.s including shipping.
I will update this post on my experience, good or bad.
I have been on this site for 2 years and i think the mods should know im not selling anything.
Phone call was 5 minutes, very easy to order...operator was very friendly. I have to bring kit to doctor to fill out paperwork. Should get kit in 2 days. Im cautiously optimistic...but sounds too good to be true.

Wed May 09, 2018 1:48 pm

I think I read somewhere they show to you in percentage or something? That would be weird though.

The golden standard is showing it in CFU/Colony Forming Units per ml. I had a DNA test show mine in CFU, don't know if it was PCR though. Not sure if they are one and the same, or if you can do DNA without PCR.

Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 pm

They do two tests...i think a quick pcr which they give results in 2 days..then a more comprehensive dna test that take 5 days.
The website kind of explains it if you are interested. I will let you know how it goes for me

Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Cool. When I get back from Greece I think I will submit sample. Are you having Ilia take the sample?

Wed May 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Yea, he was one who suggested thos lab and he has other clients who have recently used it. He seemed impressed with the product.

Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 am

This is the best test out there by a long shot.

Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm

I sent the samples in on monday morning and fedex says they have recieved them today. The instructions say the box to return is prepaid but when i went to sent it, was another 80 bucks to ship from canada. I had eps sample done saturday and stuck it in fridge till i could ship monday. Not sure if its necessary with dna testing as it was refrigerated for 2 days as it got shipped.
Should get quick pcr results in 2 days and full results next week.

Wed May 30, 2018 2:11 pm

So, 48 hours after receiving my samplea they have thw quick pcr results. They lost my release form so the support person sent me new one...filled out and 20 minutes later had results.
Urine- medium bacteria, low levels of entero faecalis found
Eps- low bacteria level found
Semen- HIGH bacteria levels found, resistance to quinolones found.
But negative for the 20 bacteria tested for which includes myco, urea, trich, ghon, chlam, and 15 others. Full results next week. Impressed with service so far but eager to see which bacteria are high in semen. Thoughts???

Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:28 pm

What species are the high levels? I'm skeptical whether they're able to determine actual amount of bacteria, not in sample, but in the patient. Bacteria don't just form colonies and stay at the same population the whole time of their life cycle. Yet what is important is knowing if they're causing the problems. E. faecalis and E. coli are two different types of bacteria based on their use of oxygen and other criteria. However, they're both in the human gut, and both are resistant to certain antibiotics. So if it's determined that one is causing the problems and the other isn't, both found to be present, then the choice of antibiotic is crucial. But if both are present and it's unknown which is the cause, or if both are the cause, what then?

Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Im.not sure what the bacteria is that is making it give high reading. Results said high bacteria level and gave a number which means nothing to me. Then gave 20 bacteria tested for..all neg including E. Faecalis. No im ASSUMING that they detected alot of bacteria in semen but could not identify it with quick pcr test. They do a much more in depth testing for other bacteria but i get those results next week. It also gave dna traits for quinolones resisitance and a list of antibiotics that could be used. Under them it said "no antibiotic recomended".
I have not met with my doctor yet who im sure will be able to give.me.more info. I see him next week after i get the full results.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Keep us posted Freakin. I also thought I was fighting ureplasma this whole time but now have 10^5 Enteroc. Faecalis and Staph Epidermidis at almost 10^5 CFU (could be sample contamination).

Starting phage treatment this week in Georgia. I think all these antibiotics we take kill one thing and create problems with other bacteria due to flora kill off. It becomes an endless cycle.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks dom.. let us know how your treatment goes. My semen bacteria level is >10^7. I dont know how high that is?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am

10^7 is VERY high.

Anything above 10^4 is considered infection, 10^7 is serious.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:22 pm

Where do you get that one-off figure of 10^4? I've read of other values that range up to 10^6 or 10^7...it depends on the species / strain. E. coli is commonly found in higher levels than 10^4. That's only 10,000. Not much for a nearly ubiquitous bacterial species such as E. coli.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm

So, whats difference between pcr and next generation sequencing? If i was neg for something on pcr, is there a chance i will be pos on NGS?
I know NGS can test for every bacteria and pcr is limited to about 20 bacteria.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I did look that up as well and the number appears to be bacteria specific. That being said 10^7 appears to be high for just about all of them. Most range from 10^5 and up.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

I watched one of their videos on FB, apparently due to mutations, if something came up negative on PCR it may come back as positive during deeper analysis micro gen or what ever they call it.

As far as the 10^4, its what urologists have told me and some NIH studies I read online.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 pm

So, results for EPS and semen are in.
Semen-high levels of bacteria- Bacillus Cereus-21% E-coli- 19%, Corynebacterium glucuronalyticum- 13%, bacillus simplex- 9% clostridium celatum- 5%, acinetobacter-3%, lycobacter 2%
EPS-mid level bacteria found- low Enterococcus faecalis- 92%, Staph 4%
so, what does this all mean?? lol. seeing a microbiologist next week and hoping he can sort this out and pinpoint which is causing the issue?
e-coli, cornebacterium and enterococcus can all cause prostatitis i believe.
a list of suitable and non suitable antibiotics was provided for each bacteria found.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 pm

freakinfrustrated wrote:
So, results for EPS and semen are in.
Semen-high levels of bacteria- Bacillus Cereus-21% E-coli- 19%, Corynebacterium glucuronalyticum- 13%, bacillus simplex- 9% clostridium celatum- 5%, acinetobacter-3%, lycobacter 2%
EPS-mid level bacteria found- low Enterococcus faecalis- 92%, Staph 4%
so, what does this all mean?? lol. seeing a microbiologist next week and hoping he can sort this out and pinpoint which is causing the issue?
e-coli, cornebacterium and enterococcus can all cause prostatitis i believe.
a list of suitable and non suitable antibiotics was provided for each bacteria found.

Good luck FF, I really hope this will help you identify whats causing your symptoms. I know you've been battling with this condition for quite sometime now.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:16 am

Thanks Yak, i should mention that all tests state that no fungus species were found so i know its not candida. That confirms my dna results from lab in toronto as well.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:24 am

Well, microbiologist saw lab results and said all the bacteria are normal and he is not concerned. Didnt prescribe anything. I asked why semen bacteria levels high and he said he wasnt sure how microgen distinguishes betweem low aand high but that no bacteria was overly high and i had been on many abx that would have worked if they were the cause.
Not really happy with what he said ...he suggested discussing a circimcision....not doing that and dont think my foreskin is the problem.
Not seeing my uro till september as he doesnt work summers it seems. Trying to see ilia and see what he thinks.
Dr did say that this test is best test out there and it would pick up dna from mycoplasma or whatever if it was there.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next