Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Yeast overgrowth? 

Post Yeast overgrowth?
Hello all, have not posted in awhile because for years I was doing terrific.
Last year my urinary condition started acting up , (I had been doing great up until then with regular prostate massage which really did wonders for me and made me feel normal again). Anyway, around October 2016 I started getting lazy and was not doing the massage much, (didn't feel I needed to since I was doing so well). My prostatitis started acting up. Couldn't seem to get rid of all the symptoms this time with massage so my doc put me on Cipro in January 2017.

Now I had taken that lots of times in the past, however this time it seemed to make my symptoms worse! It felt as if my lower abdomen got all swollen and itchy, making things worse. I quick called my doc and said it's making things worse! He then put me on Macrobid. It seemed to improve a little but the swollen, itchy feeling has remained ever since.
I've seen a urologist and had several tests done, nothing was found. Now it's been a little over a year, my symptoms have improved, but still uncomfortable. My urologist agrees and thinks this is digestive related and sent me back to my gastro doc. Had a colonoscopy done, still nothing... nobody seems to know how to treat this...

Could the antibiotics I took have caused some type of yeast build up? It sure feels like it to me... of course doctors never will admit it if the make a mistake...

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Post Re: Yeast overgrowth?
It's considered knowledge, I think, that fungus is resistant/immune to common antibiotics. However, I don't know if the abx is capable of causing the yeast to develop and grow. Have you searched the forum to get more information and a potential solution?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:29 am

presto423 wrote:
It's considered knowledge, I think, that fungus is resistant/immune to common antibiotics. However, I don't know if the abx is capable of causing the yeast to develop and grow. Have you searched the forum to get more information and a potential solution?

I don't know, I've taken cipro in the past for something else, and it ended up actually giving me an infection... I've taken it for proctitis. It got rid of the proctitis, but then it felt like I had a golf ball stuck in my behind. I didn't know what was going on, even the doctor didn't. Finally one night I did prostate massage, did it three nights in a row and bang, it took care of it... it's weird how antibiotics can also cause infections...

I'm checking out the board for answers yes, just thought I'd post my current situation to see if anyone else has had similar experiences...

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 am

I read that it can cause infection. I'm not sure how, or that it really causes it. Basically, they say that abx kill good bacteria, which allows the yeast to multiply. Fungus feeds on decaying organic matter, so it could be the yeast eats the decaying good bacteria. But wouldn't that happen cyclically due to good bacteria going through their usual life cycle anyway? and also host cells dying? wouldn't the yeast be able to grow and multiply from consuming those frequently too?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am

I don't think it'll do that. I'm not a scientist but I recall someone else a while ago making a post like this but the doctor gave him something or he took something to kill yeast. You can try to keep searching or ask your doctor.

May I ask you about your prostate massages? My prostatitis has come back after 3 months and although it's not as strong, I still worry and want to take every precaution possible to stop this from coming back.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:06 pm

presto423 wrote:
I read that it can cause infection. I'm not sure how, or that it really causes it. Basically, they say that abx kill good bacteria, which allows the yeast to multiply. Fungus feeds on decaying organic matter, so it could be the yeast eats the decaying good bacteria. But wouldn't that happen cyclically due to good bacteria going through their usual life cycle anyway? and also host cells dying? wouldn't the yeast be able to grow and multiply from consuming those frequently too?

I'm sorry guy, you lost me with your response! All I am told is that antibiotics kill the good bacteria. Hence the reason they usually tell you to take probiotics while you are on antibiotics...

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:17 pm

If you think it may be a yeast / fungal infection, give diflucan 150mg per day a try for a couple of weeks. I was on it for 3 weeks, and it really helped me. The symptoms went away a lot. I wasn't 100%, but everything got much better.

If you try it though, make sure your doctor monitors your kidney and liver function via bloodwork at least once per week, even if you have no side effects.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:35 pm

I was simply stating what you were told and questioning whether that's really what causes a yeast infection. I think I may have a yeast infection. But symptoms are so similar between various infections, and some non-infectious conditions.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Sirez wrote:
I don't think it'll do that. I'm not a scientist but I recall someone else a while ago making a post like this but the doctor gave him something or he took something to kill yeast. You can try to keep searching or ask your doctor.

May I ask you about your prostate massages? My prostatitis has come back after 3 months and although it's not as strong, I still worry and want to take every precaution possible to stop this from coming back.

Sent you a private message, check your inbox...

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:06 am

presto423 wrote:
I was simply stating what you were told and questioning whether that's really what causes a yeast infection. I think I may have a yeast infection. But symptoms are so similar between various infections, and some non-infectious conditions.

Gotcha "presto", no problem and understood... :)

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:10 am

Inflamed wrote:
If you think it may be a yeast / fungal infection, give diflucan 150mg per day a try for a couple of weeks. I was on it for 3 weeks, and it really helped me. The symptoms went away a lot. I wasn't 100%, but everything got much better.

If you try it though, make sure your doctor monitors your kidney and liver function via bloodwork at least once per week, even if you have no side effects.

If yeast were the culprit, exactly how would it feel? Thanks for your time...

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:11 am

When I had an acute bacterial prostate infection, that was a major deal. My prostate blew up so much, I could barely sit due to the inflammation, and I had to get prostate massages every other day. I was also taking various antibiotics, including daily rocephin injections. Those methods seemed to clear the acute phase up.

With the secondary fungal infection, I would say the symptoms of that are about 35% (in terms of strength) of what the acute symptoms were. Still have random bouts of inflammation, and hesitancy. Sometimes split stream, but that's about it.

The diflucan cleared all of it up for a while though, probably a few months. Now, only certain foods, constipation, and allergies seem to aggravate my prostate. So progress is being made, somewhat at least.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Inflamed wrote:
When I had an acute bacterial prostate infection, that was a major deal. My prostate blew up so much, I could barely sit due to the inflammation, and I had to get prostate massages every other day. I was also taking various antibiotics, including daily rocephin injections. Those methods seemed to clear the acute phase up.

With the secondary fungal infection, I would say the symptoms of that are about 35% (in terms of strength) of what the acute symptoms were. Still have random bouts of inflammation, and hesitancy. Sometimes split stream, but that's about it.

The diflucan cleared all of it up for a while though, probably a few months. Now, only certain foods, constipation, and allergies seem to aggravate my prostate. So progress is being made, somewhat at least.

How did they know it was yeast and to give you diflucan? I'm glad you are making progress...

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:27 am

They didn't know.

After we tried so many various abx which all failed, I ended up with what seemed like a UTI after an unprotected encounter with my girl. That put me in the ER after a few days, and the meatus became kind of itchy at the same time. Had serious burning as well when urinating, plus I've always had lingering thrush on my tongue. So I suggested to the ER doctor that we try a couple days worth of diflucan. Instant UTI relief happened.

I then went to my PC doctor for follow up and asked for a couple of weeks worth due to the relief from the UTI like symptoms two days of diflucan caused. After about 10 days of treatment, I noticed that the prostate symptoms were much better, and the UTI like symptoms were also clear at that point.

I then followed up again and asked for a 3rd week of diflucan to make sure it would stay gone. It did for quite some time, probably 4-5 months, I was also able to stop using alpha blockers.

Certain food allergies aggravate the condition now though, and I have to stay away from sugars (including artificial) and yeasts...I don't know how long, but probably for a couple of years to be on the safe side.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi Inflamed
Can you PM me? I think its not allowing me to since I am very new. I have a confirmed Fungal infections done by EPS at the 3D Prostate Clinic and small amount of Enteroc. I only went for testing, was not ready for that kind of treatment.

I'd like to talk to you about your progress and treatments.

Thanks

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]