Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Ready to give up on Abx; what to do next? 

Post Ready to give up on Abx; what to do next?
After 3 weeks of Bactrim and 3 weeks of Doxy, I am still having issues. The abx have lowered my overall general health and raised my anxiety which in turns seems to make the prostrate problem worse. I understand that abx take a month or more to work but I am beginning to think my issue is not bacterial. I believe the only benefit the abx have provided is from their anti inflammatory properties. Doc said he would refer me physical therapist if Doxy doesn't work. I just don't know how much good that will do either. I don't have pelvic pain or back pain specifically. It more like irritation/inflammation of testicles, penis and perineum. I don't see how muscle stretches will reduce inflammation in a gland. However, I don't think I can keep throwing antibiotics in my system especially when I am not seeing any improvement. Just not sure what to do next. Doing nothing and hoping it goes away doesn't seem like a great strategy either.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33 am

Post Re: Ready to give up on Abx; what to do next?
It can be bacterial and antibiotics don't work. One urologist told me that the prostate have an special PH (I don't remember if more acid or more alkaline) and that makes the antibiotics difficult to enter into it to remove all the infection.

I'm in the same boat. I as also on Bactrim 2 months and I levaed it because I felt awfully and it didn't do nothing for my prostatitis. I leaved the antibiotics long ago but now I don't know what to do next. I'm pretty convinced that in my case it's an infection. I have tried pelvic floor PT and it didn't work and bacterias have been found in my semen and urine several times.

We need to find a way to remove a chronic prostate infection beyond the antibiotics. I have faith that some herbs can help but how to find them? Internet is not reliable for that because there are a lot of scams and BS.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 am

I would be more willing to stick it out on abx if they had found bacteria. But the one time they looked at urine said it was fine. Never had semen tested. Unfortunately, I don't have high hopes for PT therapy as I tend feel that it more likely some sort infection/inflammation as opposed to muscle tension. So I just feel like I am stuck.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:26 pm

I understand, I'm also stuck and frustrated, and angry with the Western science methods and the medicine industry. They can't even provide me an answer to why is this happening to me. I have been searching for an answer for more than 5 years and I still don't know what to do to cure this, restore my normal libido and my normal sexual functions, the most affected things in my case.

I would like to do some research by myself but I don't know how. Almost all the "information" on the internet is BS. Read books about urology? Urologists are supposed to have done so and they don't know anything about this health problem, they just test antibiotics and if they don't work they abandon you.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Have you tried any supplements? Quercetin, bee pollen extract, saw palmetto, etc.?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 am

Not yet. I was afraid to mix the supplements while taking abx. I am highly med sensitive and the few time I tried saw palmetto it gave me nausea. I briefly looked for Quercetin and bee pollen extract. But that generally leads me down a rabbit hole of prostate scam looking web sites. I guess once the Doxy has cleared out of my system I can try those. Is one better than the other? Is it possible to get both in the same tablet? What brand do you use? I don't think SP would help much as I am only 43 and I don't think this is BPH. From the studies I've read it sounds like SP is more of a placebo effect anyway. Any help appreciated.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 am

Quercetin is in a number of different foods. Do a search of "what is quercetin. found in?" or something along those lines. It helped me somewhat, but I don't know if I had the right amount. It could be getting it from foods is more effective too, which I think is most likely the case. If you take probiotics, try stopping one or two for a bit. I know they're proclaimed to be healthy and enhancing, but too much can have unintended effects. Decrease sugars and drink more fluids.

Most of the bacteria I've seen discussed in reference to prostatitis and CPPS are normally occurring inside the human microbiota. If they're not, then they're transient (there temporarily, unless infection or another condition results), and even if gone or killed off could cause a range of problems that are associated with prostatitis / CPPS. Several common spices are anti-inflamms: cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, basil, and cloves. Those can go into some smoothies without tasting horrible, and other meals.

Last edited by presto423 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Presto423; you said to stop taking probiotics? What is the reasoning behind that? I take them daily since starting the abx 2 months ago; I took a stronger dose to help offset the damage the abx was doing. Just about everything I come across says probiotics are good for you. I'm confused?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Have you heard of SIBO? (small intestine bacterial overgrowth)

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Rt, saw caused gastro problems for me as well. You cannot get a therapeutic amount of these supplements from food. I usually stay away from recommending brands but I have taken Vitamedica brand Quercetin/bromelain combo at various times for years. My opinion it’s a quality product and it contains the correct amount of both supplements. It’s never caused stomach issues for me. Try combining it with a quality pumpkin seed oil extract. You need 500 milligrams of Quercetin/bromelain 2 times per day, morning and night, preferably on a empty stomach. My suggestion is to also take 1000 milligrams of pumpkin seed oil 3 times per day.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks, I’ll give those a try. The Uroligist is just going to refer me to a physical therapist which I don’t think will help much. After 2 rounds of abx I can feel like I’m on my own. Thankful for true feedback and knowledge on this forum.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Chavalote wrote:
It can be bacterial and antibiotics don't work. One urologist told me that the prostate have an special PH (I don't remember if more acid or more alkaline) and that makes the antibiotics difficult to enter into it to remove all the infection.

I'm in the same boat. I as also on Bactrim 2 months and I levaed it because I felt awfully and it didn't do nothing for my prostatitis. I leaved the antibiotics long ago but now I don't know what to do next. I'm pretty convinced that in my case it's an infection. I have tried pelvic floor PT and it didn't work and bacterias have been found in my semen and urine several times.

We need to find a way to remove a chronic prostate infection beyond the antibiotics. I have faith that some herbs can help but how to find them? Internet is not reliable for that because there are a lot of scams and BS.

The internet is not reliable, but the internet is also reliable. The real world is also full of scams and BS. The internet is more like a electronic reflection of the 'real' world. I recommend reading books by David Winston for information on herbs and limbido, he is one of the few herbalists I trust. Or if you can find a good herbalist then that is also good, but who is good? It is always hard to tell what you are going to get out of trying something. My attitude is trying anything that sounds at least half reasonable.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am

There's a wide variety of bacteria.

Gram positive, gram negative, aerobic, and anaerobic are major classifications.

Doxy is a tetracycline, and a lot of bacteria are resistant to it. Bactrim is better, but from the little I've read there are others to try. IMHO, taking it for a month without results is way too long.

First step would be to figure out what coverage you have from the antibiotics you have taken. Then figure out frequency of resistance to the antibiotics you're taking.

Urologists don't typically do this level of thinking, so you'll have to do it yourself.

Also, what testing have you done? There is really a wide array of quality available in testing. Obviously identifying a bacteria will help a lot.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:58 pm

The only testing they did was a urine sample and a post massage urine sample. He never mentioned finding any bacteria. I think the bactrim and doxy was just a let’s try this and see approach. What specifically can I tell them to test for so I will have a better idea of what abx to try. From what I have researched it’s common not to find bacteria. So we are just left to guess.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Did it start with a sexual encounter, if so that is a sign it may be an infection? Mine didn't for example, and no bacteria were found in an EPS test. It got better after about a year. You can try diets, like Paleo or Keto, they help some people with inflammatory problems I think because poor gut health is related to elevated inflammation. There is also the reishi mushroom or ashwagandha, for example, I've used a duel extract of the log grown reishi fruiting body before. Can also help anxiety. Adaptogens are calming, but also can help reduce inflammation in some cases. Urologist are not good for prostatitis if it isn't an infection, and sometimes they can't handle infections also.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:11 am

No sexual encounter. That’s why I am not certain it is bacterial. Agree I am not sure what the bro will do. Was hoping could confirm bacteria before continuing on with abx. Guess I’m stuck with Quercetin and self help.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Can try to culture EPS and Semen. Also multiplex PCR with urine, semen, and EPS.

Your doctor sounds like an idiot though...

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 pm

You have to find a urologist who will do a prostate massage and run a 'culture' on the prostate fluid.

Only then can the bacteria be identified and can it be determined what antibiotics work against it.

That's what I did - as for antibiotics: I am on month 4 going on month 5 after some trial and error.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am

My opinion Rt. It will differ from others but that’s ok. You can focus on 1 of 2 things when it comes to the prostate. Cause or cure. The chance of finding the cause isn’t great, and even if you think you’ve found it, chances are just as likely you haven’t. And even if you and the Dr might think it, that doesn’t mean what they give you or you do on your own will fix it. There is no definitive cause or cure for what falls under the umbrella of prostate trouble. The research simply isn’t there, and Drs follow the research to help you. So they have to guess in most cases based on what they’ve seen in their practice or learned from other Drs, seminars etc. In the quest to find a cause you will likely waste quite a bit of money. Or you can simply focus on a cure or a way to manage it. Maybe diet helps, maybe exercise, or herbs, antibiotics, physical therapy, or a combination of these things. As someone who has dealt with it off and on for over 20 years I can honestly say it gets better, goes away completely, comes back again, etc. As long as a man has a prostate, he’s going to experience problems at some point. My advice is focus on finding what helps you vs finding a cause. Others will tell you it’s important to find both. I don’t agree. Use your energy to focus on getting better.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks Madcap. It's the focusing on what is helping me is the difficult part at the moment, as I have yet to find much in the way of relief. I am scheduled to go back to uro tomorrow but I 'm guessing he isn't going to come up with much. So I'll be left to keep searching until I hit on something.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:58 pm

It could be from something other than a sexual encounter. It could be the microflora that resides in you normally. How are your symptoms different while you take abx than while you don't? That could tell you more about actual cause(s).

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Got back from 3rd trip to Uro in 3 months. He basically said abx not doing anything which I already knew. Gave me some tramadol and medrol steriod pak. Said he we should try to break the pain cycle and see if everything will reset and then after that go to physical therapy if still having trouble. Got the feeling he is pretty much out bullets in his gun. Hopefully, time itself will help resolve this.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Wecome to the club. Life is a bit easier once you give up on abxs and other drugs. Yeah, you're in pain, but at least you don't have to worry about side effects....

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:51 pm

Any update rtpatter? How are you feeling?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Never mind, I see he posted an update elsewhere. He is well!

Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]