Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What a abx to try next? 

Post What a abx to try next?
I am going to the uro in the morning. I’ve tried Bactrim for about 3 or 4 weeks with no luck. I don’t tolerate Cipro. I think I’m going to ask for doxycycline. Are there any other easily tolerated abx to try. I know everyone is different but doxy seems to be better tolerated than some.
Thanks

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Post Re: What a abx to try next?
Doxy is pretty easy on system. I have done about 8 weeks worth with no issues. Azithro is an antibiotic with a broad spectrim so good choice. I enjoy its fruity undertones and aromatic full bodied flavour. Fosfo comes in orange tang flavour...also tasty. But the yummiest of all has been the cephalax. Moxi was the only one that i ever had issues with...made my achilles hurt and had to quit 10 days on. On a sad note...not one of these has worked. Add in flagyl and trimethroprim as well. Im an antibiotic conoseur..haha

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 pm

Ceftin. I switched to it when I could no longer take bactrim.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 pm

I thought about azithromyacin but it looks like it doesn’t penetrate as well as doxycycline. It sounds like Cipro and bactrim has the best penetration. I guess I could get lucky and something show up in the culture. Then I could get a specific anabiotic for that bacteria. However last time everything came back clean I suspect it will do the same tomorrow. Hopefully something will work. But from what I’m reading on this website anabiotic‘s seem to have limited affect.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:24 pm

Antibiotics have to penetrate the prostate. That takes time. And taking the dosage prescribed for as long as it takes. If you aren’t prepared to do that chances are you will make your situation worse. People who go on and off for short periods of time usually see no lasting effects.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Yes... the prostate is notoriously hard for penetration. 8 weeks for doxy. 6 weeks for trim. 6 weeks of fosfo..1 month of flagyl. It wasnt intill after weeks of no improvement that my uro told me to stop them.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm

I got the finger again. Said it feels normal; I said how about doxycycline; he said sure why not; if not better in 4 weeks wants to discuss physical therapy. About what I expected I think docs know there is only so much they can offer in forms of functional treatments.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm

Macrobid helped me A LOT when I had symptoms. I wish more people would give it a try.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]