Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Low testosterone - is this a causative factor? 

Post Low testosterone - is this a causative factor?
I got some bloodwork done to help pinpoint the cause of my prostatitis symptoms, and my testosterone came back quite low (5.2 nmol/L).

Needless to say I am worried, as low testosterone can speak to some serious health issues, but I am hoping that this was either a one-off abnormality in my test, a general hormonal imbalance that is treated relatively easily, or simply a vitamin D deficiency. I have a follow-up appointment with my doc in a few days, but I want to do my research in the meantime.

So that being said, can LT cause symptoms of prostatitis? Specifically, I am having on/off issues with erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation, excessive production of cowper's fluid (way too much precum, continued "leaking" after ejaculation), and some general discomfort in the pelvis and urethra. I also have decreased libido but I always figured that was due to anxiety/depression around my issues.

So while I am of course concerned, it would be nice to have targeted a cause of what I'm experiencing.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Post Re: Low testosterone - is this a causative factor?
keithmp wrote:
I got some bloodwork done to help pinpoint the cause of my prostatitis symptoms, and my testosterone came back quite low (5.2 nmol/L).

Needless to say I am worried, as low testosterone can speak to some serious health issues, but I am hoping that this was either a one-off abnormality in my test, a general hormonal imbalance that is treated relatively easily, or simply a vitamin D deficiency. I have a follow-up appointment with my doc in a few days, but I want to do my research in the meantime.

So that being said, can LT cause symptoms of prostatitis? Specifically, I am having on/off issues with erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation, excessive production of cowper's fluid (way too much precum, continued "leaking" after ejaculation), and some general discomfort in the pelvis and urethra. I also have decreased libido but I always figured that was due to anxiety/depression around my issues.

So while I am of course concerned, it would be nice to have targeted a cause of what I'm experiencing.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

I've been dealing with this off and on since mid 2011. I've had flare-ups every now and then. I was mostly good for all of 2014-2016 then beginning of 2017 I've had flare-up's about every 3-5 months.

I've lost almost any interest in sex over the last 1.5 years. I had my testosterone checked and it was 561 ng/dL which is normal but also low for a 33 year old male. I used to have a really high sex drive. I have trouble getting a hard erection and while I get one when jerking off/sleeping with my wife, the second I stop it goes limp within 5-10 seconds. I still shoot when I ejac bu t the volume is much lower and I have a lot of dribbling afterwards into my boxers. Usually, I have to sit on the toilet and urinate after to clear everything out. My semen is also thicker and more glob-like. When I shoot into the sink, it usually sticks and I have to help wash down with my hands.

Additionally, I have small calcifications on the bottom of each testicle respectively. I've learned to live with it, but I'm really fearful of being infertile after all of this. The only thing that seems to really help is prostate massages and I have to go see a PA at my urologists office when I need that.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Sounds like we have very similar symptoms. What does your urologist said about it? Have you tried any solutions other than the prostate massage? Medications, physiotherapy, diet, etc.?

I will update after my next appointment with my prostatitis clinic.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 pm

It's possible, but it would depend on your total hormonal panel, specifically how your testosterone score counterbalances with your estradiol, and your dihydrotestosterone levels.

For example, say your testosterone is around 600, your DHT should be around 40-60, and your estradiol should always be around 20-30, if you're in fairly good shape. When I was on HRT, I saw an adrologist who has a really good grip on helping me balance things out. Also, there's an alternate forum called steroidology, those guys really know their stuff over there.

Also, if you do try HRT, look into combining that with HCG as well, that way your testacles won't halt the natural production of testosterone during the process.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Also, I remember reading that your gut flora plays a role in proper hormonal production and balance. While on VSL3, I saw my testosterone jump a bit via bloodwork.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm

keithmp wrote:
Sounds like we have very similar symptoms. What does your urologist said about it? Have you tried any solutions other than the prostate massage? Medications, physiotherapy, diet, etc.?

My old urologist at Northwestern who was a leading researcher for the NIH in CBP/CPPS retired in 2016 and he was the one who really knew what we were dealing with. In 2013, he cultured my EPS and found bugs causing my symptoms. Did 30 days of Cipro and had follow up EPS that were clear. I was symptom free barring a few minor flare-ups that he massaged and did EPS for and it would clear up.

My new uro thinks it's CPPS. I've looked for pelvic floor therapists and none of them in Chicago seem to be in my network and I'm not going to pay $150+ per session when I can pay my $10 co-pay at the urologist. I've found a nice PA who will do a prostate massage when I really need them. I'm leaving the country in 2.5 weeks so I'm going to see him next week. Since my old uro retired, no one has been able to "milk" the prostate like he did. He had huge hands, so he was really able to get the white prostatic fluid out to culture. Personally, I think it's bacterial trapped by biofilms and calcification from the years and that no one has been able to get a good EPS since he retired.

I eat healthy and exercise. Lots of greens, lean meats, veggies, sweet potatoes and water. I don't drink a ton (never caused issues to be worse) and only drink a cup of coffee per day. Occasionally have a burger, pizza, etc but not often.

I've had stomach issues for the past 8-10 months that warranted a colonoscopy. It was all clear, but I think my gut is really out of wack which I think causes some of my prostate issues since they are so close to each other.

After a good prostate massage, my erections are better, my scrotum tightens up (they sag a lot when flared up), my stream is stronger and my dribbling is less.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Inflamed wrote:
It's possible, but it would depend on your total hormonal panel, specifically how your testosterone score counterbalances with your estradiol, and your dihydrotestosterone levels.

For example, say your testosterone is around 600, your DHT should be around 40-60, and your estradiol should always be around 20-30, if you're in fairly good shape. When I was on HRT, I saw an adrologist who has a really good grip on helping me balance things out. Also, there's an alternate forum called steroidology, those guys really know their stuff over there.

Also, if you do try HRT, look into combining that with HCG as well, that way your testacles won't halt the natural production of testosterone during the process.

Thanks for the info -- if my doc recommends hormone therapy then I will definitely take this into account. Looking at my panel now my estradiol is <60 with a ref range of < 159pmol/L. I have no idea how to interpret that. Not sure about DHT.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 pm

CLCardinal84 wrote:
keithmp wrote:

My old urologist at Northwestern who was a leading researcher for the NIH in CBP/CPPS retired in 2016 and he was the one who really knew what we were dealing with. In 2013, he cultured my EPS and found bugs causing my symptoms. Did 30 days of Cipro and had follow up EPS that were clear. I was symptom free barring a few minor flare-ups that he massaged and did EPS for and it would clear up.

My new uro thinks it's CPPS. I've looked for pelvic floor therapists and none of them in Chicago seem to be in my network and I'm not going to pay $150+ per session when I can pay my $10 co-pay at the urologist. I've found a nice PA who will do a prostate massage when I really need them. I'm leaving the country in 2.5 weeks so I'm going to see him next week. Since my old uro retired, no one has been able to "milk" the prostate like he did. He had huge hands, so he was really able to get the white prostatic fluid out to culture. Personally, I think it's bacterial trapped by biofilms and calcification from the years and that no one has been able to get a good EPS since he retired.

I eat healthy and exercise. Lots of greens, lean meats, veggies, sweet potatoes and water. I don't drink a ton (never caused issues to be worse) and only drink a cup of coffee per day. Occasionally have a burger, pizza, etc but not often.

I've had stomach issues for the past 8-10 months that warranted a colonoscopy. It was all clear, but I think my gut is really out of wack which I think causes some of my prostate issues since they are so close to each other.

After a good prostate massage, my erections are better, my scrotum tightens up (they sag a lot when flared up), my stream is stronger and my dribbling is less.

Thanks for the thorough reply. Are you basically symptom free after a massage? For how long? Good to hear you are getting some relief.
I appreciate your help!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm

keithmp wrote:
Thanks for the thorough reply. Are you basically symptom free after a massage? For how long? Good to hear you are getting some relief.
I appreciate your help!

Depends on how bad the flare up is. Usually one helps stop the flare and decrease discomfort. A second sometimes shuts it down for a while until it comes back a few months down the road. Going Thursday. First visit since July. Hoping this starts the relief process.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]