Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Vitamin D! Holy Cow. 

Post Vitamin D! Holy Cow.
It's been over five years and I wanted to post an update. I stumbled upon something and in the last few weeks I noticed the medical community has discovered a new connection and a potential therapy. For me it was discovered by accident, and it has been extraordinary. You might have read other threads about this, (I haven't seen anything in the discussion board) but I feel compelled to write about this.

Last few winters I've felt terrible (probably longer) including off and on prostate issues, and it finally culminated with me going to urgent care a number of weeks ago. Was dizzy, having trouble thinking clearly. Memory was terrible. My whole body felt terrible. Could never get enough rest. Got up 5 times a night to pee. Doctors take that sort of stuff seriously. Hooked me up, checked my heart, took blood. I thought it was absolute overkill, but I was sick of the symptoms. Glad I did not see my regular doctor because each time I've seen him in the last 6 years, he wanted to prescribe Prozac. Never took it. He thought I had anxiety and depression. He thought the reason why I felt pain in my prostate was because of anxiety and depression. Turns out he was right AND terribly wrong.

This wonderful urgent care (female) doctor came back in the room after looking at my CBC - complete blood count. She told me something I did not expect. She said my Vitamin D levels were next to nothing and were probably that way for awhile. She put me on 150,000 IU per week for 3 months.

After 3 weeks, I am starting to feel way different. So how does this connect to Prostatitis? It turns out there is a HUGE connection between Vitamin D levels and Prostate problems. Vitamin D is actually a hormone. It's not a vitamin. A lot of terrible stuff can happen to your body if your levels are low. (please look this up. do some research. light bulbs will go off, I promise. it might scare you as well.) Can happen at any age. Yes, Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin, and my problem is that I am inside most of the day. The windows at my work have E-glass - no ultraviolet sunlight coming in and hitting my skin. It's been this way for years. Besides all this, my body is not making Vitamin D very well. Not absorbing it in my gut or through my skin. Getting a "loading dose" is what they do to get your numbers up.

Turns out there the medical community is now making sound scientific connections between Vitamin D (which is a hormone) and Prostate problems. Wow. Finally. What the hell took so long?

So, if you happen to read this, please get your Vitamin D levels checked. Just go in. You don't need to convince anyone. Just get it checked. Your number should be around 60. Probably closer to 70. Anything below 20 is not good - potentially dangerous if it is for an extended period of time. Mine was 10. Probably for years. I'm certain my primary symptom from a lack of Vitamin D was prostate problems. It's the canary in the coal mine. If it is anything lower than 30, it's a red flag. If you are low, try and convince your doc to give you a large "loading dose." It won't hurt you. Try and get at least 100,000 per week for 3 months. Vitamin D2, which comes in higher doses - verses D3 which you can buy over the counter, but comes in lower doses. Don't settle on 50,000IU per week. The quicker you get your numbers up, the better you will feel. The better you will sleep. You will feel different.

My doctor was right. I did/do suffer from anxiety and depression, but guess what? What does anxiety, depression, prostate problems ALL HAVE IN COMMON? Yes, Vitamin D!!!!!!! Besides air and water, this is probably one of the most important things your body needs.

I was told it will take 6 months to a year to get back to normal. I feel significantly better. The good thing is that I don't have to worry as much about what I am eating.

Please know it is extremely difficult to overdose on Vitamin D. It sort of freaked me out when this doc told me how much to take. 150,000 IU is just a number. I was told by two different docs that you have to take something a 1 million IU per week to where it becomes a potential problem. I was also told your ideal Vitamin D number in your blood should be around 60 or 70. If you are low like me, a loading dose is needed to jump start your system. Taking 5 or 10K of D3 will NOT do it. After my prescription runs out in a few months, I was told to take 5,000 IU of D3 a day for the rest of my life. Please consult your doc. Also know that each doctor will have a different opinion about Vitamin D protocol. Some doctors like mine will be clueless.

I hope you find this and I hope anyone who has suffered like me will get their Vitamin D levels checked. This is a big deal. Not witchcraft. Medical community is starting to understand we are not crazy.

Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Post Re: Vitamin D! Holy Cow.
good info. thanks

Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 am

I have been advising people who display symptoms that can be associated with deficiency on this forum to at least have their Vitamin D levels checked.

The research suggests that daily amounts are better than weekly amounts how ever that depends on if people remember to take it daily in which case weekly is better suited. D3 is much better than D2 but if thats all you can get thats fine, it usually takes over 30,000 units a day for more than a few months to become toxic so if you were to take 10-20,000 units a day to increase your levels that would probably be optimal and then for a daily maintenance dose its usually 1,000 units per 25lbs of weight which would put you somewhere between 5,000 - 7,000 units for normal people.

When taking Vitamin D it is imperative you supplement with magnesium at least 500mg a day and not magnesium oxide something more bio available is better as the conversion of Vitamin D into its usable form relies on Magnesium plus muscle tightness can be eased which can be a result of low magnesium among other things, hence why high dose vitamin D may make people feel worse.

Vitamin K2 is required as now you absorbing calcium it needs to be directed into bones and not into arteries which is one of the many roles of K2.

If you can get these in your diet thats great but foods these days do not contain the levels they used to, often people feel worse taking vitamin D because it lowers there magnesium and there ability to handle calcium is poor so think its the vitamin D.

All this being said a test is simple and cheap so its worth being tested before jumping the gun.

Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 am

Good stuff. Thank you.

Thu May 04, 2017 5:07 pm

I were taking sun baths like 30 mins in a day few months ago and I got tired because nothing changed. Maybe it was too short to see changes. Maybe it takes more than 6 months to get recovered. I avoid the sun a lot because I have eye-floaters and I were with a crazy sleeping timetable a lot of time. So the lack of vitamin D is one of my suspected causes.

Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 pm

It would be worth getting your levels checked so you know if it's a concern. It's it's below 50ng you need to raise them. Either in the sun between noon and 2pm or supplements.

It's varies between articles but once your levels are right it can take 3-6 mo the for muscle weakness to resolve and upto a year for nerve and muscle pain to resolve but you should feel it working g.

That's why it's best to know your numbers, and always take the supporting vitamins.

Sun May 07, 2017 10:33 am

It makes sense in my case because I also have anxiety, muscle problems, tremors... But I have been doing a lot of blood tests the last years and I want to rest from them. I also want to avoid supplements. I'll try the sun, after all it's the most natural way.

These days I have been taking the sun but between 18:00 and 19:00. Is it better until 14:00? Here it's too hot now in that time.

Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 pm

The mechanism we produce Vitamin D naturally is through UVB light hitting our skin, due to the atmosphere this only occurs when the sun is a specific angle for the UVB rays to pass through this usually happens from noon till 2 or 3pm. The closer to the equator you are and the more consistent the seasons are then you could probably rely on this all year.

The issue alot of people have especially in the UK where I am is that with the varying seasons its impossible to produce Vitamin D until the Summer.

To answer your question properly you will not be producing Vitamin D between 6pm and 9pm but that is not to say that you wont get the benefits of the other spectrums of light from the sun. A rough guide is that if your shadow is shorter than you then you will produce some Vitamin D as the angle of the sun would be high enough for UVB rays to penetrate the atmosphere.

I completely understand not wanting to sit in the very hot sun especially as you would have to make sure you were not wearing sunblock as that would also stop the UVB rays as well as the UVA rays. So you would have to spend 15-20 minutes with at least your torso exposed before applying any sunblock and that may not be long enough to produce enough Vitamin D to raise your levels if you are deficient, the standard protocol is to use a high loading dose of 50,000 IU once a week until the level is correct and then a maintenance dose. It would be better to take 7,000 IU a day of D3 and then lower to a maintenance dose of 5,000 IU a day with the addition of magnesium and K2.

But this is of course if you were deficient, I hope this explains more about the process of producing Vitamin D and why some people may be deficient due to their location of time of day of exposure.

Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks.

I'll definitely try this for months. I have the intuition that low vitamin D is one of my problems. Other symptoms match as well. My weak orgasms also seem to be due to some muscular weakness or inflammation. And also the anxiety, depression and low libido matches.

I live in Spain so here it's very sunny almost all the year. Specially now.

I have became too hesitant about the chemical drugs (even vitamin supplements) because all these years they have only made something bad and nothing good for me. I want to avoid doctors and blood tests for a while since I have been with anxiety due to them like 3 months. After all, the best way to know something is testing it by yourself. If I get better with this as the time passes then I'll have something.

Mon May 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Interesting! Upon reading this post I went to my Doc the following day and ask to request a Vit D test for me. I just got my result today and here's what it says:

A normal level of vitamin D is defined as a 25(OH)D concentration greater than 30 ng/mL

Vitamin D insufficiency is defined as a 25(OH)D concentration of 20 to 30 ng/mL

Vitamin D deficiency is defined as a 25(OH)D level less than 20 ng/mL

My test result is : 17 ng/mL

So I have vit D deficiency :cry: :cry: :cry: This explains the symptoms I been feeling all these years like unexplained fatigue, feeling blue, muscle weakness, difficulty of thinking clearly and prone to infection and inflammation.

Thank you Colevan for bringing this up in these forum.

Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am

My VIT D levels are also low. When I take supplements, it makes my prostate inflammation worse. Dunno what to do about it, except more sun. My body reacts to things in opposite ways it seems. It's really annoying.

Fri May 12, 2017 2:12 pm

I think that vitamin D from sun and chemical synthesized ones are different. Our body is made to make vitamin D from sun and not from supplements.

Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Inflamed wrote:
My VIT D levels are also low. When I take supplements, it makes my prostate inflammation worse. Dunno what to do about it, except more sun. My body reacts to things in opposite ways it seems. It's really annoying.

try taking red reishi mushroom. it's an adaptogen so it should help your body to adapt. Also good for fighting infection and has an anti-inflammatory properties. I just ordered mine and waiting for it, I will let you know if it helps me or not.

Fri May 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Just had my Vitamind D tested after seeing your post and reading a book about food/nutrition inflammation. Had to push my doctor to do it. Turns out my levels are low (21) and they prescribed me 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks. Curious since upping your Vit D intake has it helped your condition at all? PS thanks for posting about this!

Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am

It's helped with my fatigue and weakness and sleep which resolved my problems which I think we're never prostate related.

I would urge you to take the minerals magnesium (citrate), zinc and boron they all help with the roles of vitamin D and should help as your levels rise.

If you want to go the extra mile take vitamin K2 as well, as your vitamin D level will raise you probably won't need a calcium supplement unless you get none at all.

Fri May 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for this.

My blood test showed I am also low on Vitamin D and have started a cause.

I don't believe this will fix it i n my case (I'm convinced it is some muscle dysfunction in the pevlisd but might help with the symptons

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:13 pm

I believe that my body is good with vitamin D. Thanks for posting this very good info

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:02 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks everyone for the feedback and relaying your experiences. After 8 months, I feel very good. My negative symptoms have significantly reduced. This is the biggest maintenance thing: I do keep the corrosive food to a minimum. Caffeine, sugar, salt, meat. Drinking a fair amount of water everyday helps tremendously. I still take about 7k of vitamin d along with two supplements each morning. Also take acidophilus. I'm a big salad eater now. Get a fair amount of exercise and still using a standing desk after 10 years. I feel good. I don't really think about any of this. It's sort of automatic and part of my life. Regardless, it makes me feel good. My worst nights, which happen every few months are when I have to get up 2 times a night to go to the bathroom. It's the result of eating the 4 bad food groups. Caffeine, sugar, salt, meat.....and/or drinking alcohol. Anything that irritates my prostate I avoid, but I do believe vitamin d has helped me when I do ingest the bad stuff. My body gets rid of it quickly.

I wouldn't wish prostate troubles on anyone, but grateful I was able to discover a logical and solid solution. Just takes time and patience. Good luck and I hope you really check into your vitamin d levels.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm

colevan wrote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback and relaying your experiences. After 8 months, I feel very good. My negative symptoms have significantly reduced. This is the biggest maintenance thing: I do keep the corrosive food to a minimum. Caffeine, sugar, salt, meat. Drinking a fair amount of water everyday helps tremendously. I still take about 7k of vitamin d along with two supplements each morning. Also take acidophilus. I'm a big salad eater now. Get a fair amount of exercise and still using a standing desk after 10 years. I feel good. I don't really think about any of this. It's sort of automatic and part of my life. Regardless, it makes me feel good. My worst nights, which happen every few months are when I have to get up 2 times a night to go to the bathroom. It's the result of eating the 4 bad food groups. Caffeine, sugar, salt, meat.....and/or drinking alcohol. Anything that irritates my prostate I avoid, but I do believe vitamin d has helped me when I do ingest the bad stuff. My body gets rid of it quickly.

I wouldn't wish prostate troubles on anyone, but grateful I was able to discover a logical and solid solution. Just takes time and patience. Good luck and I hope you really check into your vitamin d levels.

I'm glad to hear that you feeling good. I thank you for this thread, when I read it the first time, it prompted me to have my vit d level checked and found out later that I was deficient. After 4 months of taking 5,000 IU of vit d per day, my level is now up from 17ng\ml to 53 ng\ml. I am now currently at 95-98% symptom free.

Last edited by yakuh11 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 am

this is crazy

so i have FQ Toxicity and i have problem with knee muscle being sore, i asked some friends and one of them told me to check vit d level

turned out that mine was extremely low at 11,9 ng/mL

immediately take 5000IU vit d+ vitamin k

well maybe i have a change in symptoms but never relate it to vit d

now that i've seen this thread i will continue and try take vit d again to see if it helps or not...

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Any updates from your experiences? I just started taking 400mg magnesium citrate, and 5,000iu's of Vitamin D3 daily. It has been almost a week now, but I can feel a difference.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]