Visit Prostatitis.org    
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Flomax treatment for Prostatitis 

Post Flomax treatment for Prostatitis
A quick question to the community -

I know we all have been to Urologists and clearly know what they can do (or rather can't do) about this condition. My doctor has suggested keep taking Flomax. Initially it might have helped, but now I am also taking Homeopathy (which has clearly helped).

Is there a point of taking Flomax even after 1 year (I was taking daily, now already moved to once in 2 days)? Or how long people think that it can be safely taken and then discontinued?

thanks

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Post Re: Flomax treatment for Prostatitis
I used it for several years before the side effects became to great. I never thought it did much but since my insurance covered it I stayed on it.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 pm

HI, My opinion and experience with Flomax, it's a harmful drug with very bad side effects and does nothing for treating Prostatitis. It's a great money maker for the drug companies and that's it. They make and you stay the same only can make you wind up in the ER.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 am

I had a one point pain improvement on a five point scale while on Flomax. I took it for the better part of a year. The only side effect I noticed was some slight airway restriction. This was only noticeable when I was doing cardio exercise that involved heavy breathing.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:46 am

My problem with flomax didn’t start until year 3 or 4. My GP said flomax side effects usually increase the longer you are on it and that was what I experienced.

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks All.This helps in taking my decision on this med.

Madcap or others - can you tell me what kind of side-effects you faced?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:02 am

Rocky, the light headed dizzy feeling was the one which eventually became worse. It was only an occasional side effect in the beginning but became a daily one after a few years. Add to the fact i thought it’s effectiveness decreased the longer I took it so stopping was an easy decision.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Fatigue more often and lightheaded / dizzy occasionally were the two I experienced after I started it. But those went away, at least most of the time. I think it's not intended for continuing it unless necessary. I have experienced a relapse of urinary problems after discontinuing it, but that most likely isn't from stopping the drug itself.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:38 am

I would not take alpha blockers for prostatitis.

It is intellectually dis-honest for doctors to prescribe them. They should just be honest with their patients.

Know why? Because those alpha blockers relax the bladder muscle, however, with prostatitis this is NOT the problem at all. Relaxing the bladder muscle is not going to do anything for people, especially urinary symptoms which if you have you will be prescribed flomax et al for. The reason for weak urine flow or any other urinary issue is prostate compressing the urethra. So tell me, how does an alpha blocker help that? It doesn't.

So don't do it.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Relaxing the bladder muscles could cause a worse problem, but it could also reduce urinary retention by preventing the contraction of muscles that can produce backflow and pressure buildup. Flomax is designed to inhibit the worsening of those contractions of muscles. At least that's my understanding of it.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 pm

I seem to do fine with Flomax, but I only take it as needed. I only take 0.2mg though, which is half of the brand dosage.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]